TrevorLahey's Low Budget Growing Part 4: "The Hunger Games"

Things are starting to take off in there :+1::seedling:

1 Like

This is new to me, please explain for my dumb ass lol, I though excess N showed up as dark green foliage. I didn’t know about the “clawing”??

2 Likes

Dark green with clawing is indicative of excess N. Sparkle says some of these phenos will claw from genetic expression so it’s nothing but a mere observation at this point.

2 Likes

Day 24

7 Likes

Day 24 cont.

Got my light up to its max height. Can’t do nothing but flop these tops over now. Planning to do that and some defoliation tonight or tomorrow.

9 Likes

Day 25

Defoliated some of the big “in the way” fan leaves and have begun cleaning up the big plant a bit.

8 Likes

Day 25 evening

OK FINE she forced me to do it…

So this was way easier than I made it out to be in my head. Went without a hitch, exactly as described by @Mr.Sparkle and others. It was scary and I was putting off doing it all day but in the end this took less than 10m and I can tell it’s going to make a big difference in my canopy!

I’m going to shuffle them around a bit tomorrow. The little seedling will be placed behind the big plant (possibly even on a prop to get it closer to the light) and the DD behind the big plant will take the back left spot. Will make working with the DD’s a little easier.

14 Likes

good work, they will fill it out and be pointing up in no time

4 Likes

Day 26

So I woke up to this in the morning after last night’s flop. 5 lowers came up from below to join the rest of the canopy! Hopefully these will become mains! But… I’ll have to flop these branches too.

So let’s do that…

And tie some of last night’s branches down while I’m at it

I really gotta start cleaning up some of the bigger leaves that are blocking light and airflow. Putting that at high priority now.

15 Likes

that’s the way a good grow looks at the start dude!

looking fantastic

6 Likes

Thanks @toastyjakes it’s starting to look better than I anticipated and more like something from one of your grows :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

shit my grows have just started looking good with the help and advice of others… you’d had some problems but none that no-one else has had that we can’t help along the way.

7 Likes

Day 27

More tops up to the canopy. This shit really works… lol

This one isn’t as girthy, but it has some nice color to her already!

Going to flop and tie again tomorrow as I’m expecting there will be some tops up to the light again.

17 Likes

Lahey was my mothers mating name
nice plants Randy, I mean Trevor

its only recently that I realised that randy and lahey were a piss take of “Monk”

5 Likes

Day 28

We are officially 4 weeks in. It’s hard to believe these were still seeds in a bottle a month ago.

But I cannot wait for the stretch to end, it’s getting frustrating and extra challenging keeping these tops trained down.

Tonight I had to do some more flopping and tieing. I had fuck up and kinked over a branch (bottom center) but it wasn’t damaged so it should bounce back. The plant in the back left needs some serious work (and is kinda leggy in comparison to it’s neighbors) but it’s going to have to wait another day as it’s a big job taking out these massive plants to get at it.

I was finishing up with my duties for the night and I noticed some mold on the topsoil of the front left plant. I picked it off and gave it a peroxide spray to sanitize the area around it. I will be keeping an eye out for more though.

So that led me to thinking “I should probably add a little pool shock to my reservoir” and I checked the reservoir to find out… it was empty. Thank god I noticed this as the big plant’s coco was quite dry.

So I mixed up a new batch of food. I’ve been filling to 20L but this time I’m trying 25L to give me a little extra wiggle room for events like above.

30ppm Calcium Hypochlorite, 1000ppm MegaCrop into 75ppm tap water brought me into the low 5’s pH wise, a couple drops of pH up and it brought it back up to 5.6-5.8 range. 1110ppm total.

I’m getting low on MegaCrop, not good. And I might not be able to buy new stuff until the end of September. Guess I’ll deal with that when the time comes? lol

11 Likes

Day 29

Finally got around to pruning and defoliating these girls tonight. I’m no stranger to doing this but I’ve not done it so far into flower before.

They’re not happy tonight but wait until they get some more light and air blowing around.

Also did some flopping on the back left plant. It’s real skraggly looking but it was definitely stressed out from being so close to the light for so long. Hell, the other day a top was touching an LED (not good we don’t want fires) so I’m extra happy I did this defoliation as it made getting at these plants much more accessible.

For most of you this is the first time you can even see the back left plant! HAHA

Oh and the colors in the front left plant are soooo cool:

13 Likes

you went to town… they will fill back in quickly, now also the time to get things all tucked down or spaced evenly as from here on out you will want to do as little as possible.

8 Likes

Day 29 (10 hours later)

13 Likes

Day 29 (13 hours later)

The heavy defolation definitely slowed the stretch down to a crawl. I’m hoping I didn’t overdo it but I really needed to get some airflow and light penetration as the environment was getting very cramped and causing issues.

And my Purple Kush Auto from Canuk seeds is hitting a growth spurt. And here I thought it was going to amount to nothing. It’s at week 2 now and is the same size my largest DD was 2 weeks ago. I might end up with another big plant and its gonna be real crowded for the last 2 weeks of the DD’s. It’s not very healthy looking though, and is showing the same white splotching as the large Dark Devil plant. Will ponder more on why these 2 are affected but not the other.

7 Likes

Day 30

Stretching is slowing down since the pruning. Buds are starting to fill out and plants seem happy. The sensitive purple DD is experiencing some feed issues but I checked the reservoir and it’s 1060ppm and 5.9-6.1 pH. It’s runoff was a little higher at 1080ppm but pH was about the same. I’m clueless, hope it doesn’t get real bad.

I also did some more flopping on the back left plant as the tops were almost touching the light, I kinked one but it should be okay as it’s propped up solid :wink:

And a video?

https://streamable.com/sdeya

10 Likes