TrevorLahey's Low Budget Growing Part 5: "The Ghost and the Darkness"

Just brainstorming here, bear with me. So with soil, the first 3 weeks you don’t need to feed them. Sometimes a little sooner if you water to runoff. 3 gallons should be enough for an entire auto grow so shouldn’t be root bound, but always a possibility. Dry amendments probably haven’t broken down enough yet. Have you tried a simple fish fert or kelp? Something mild to test to see if they are deficient or if soil is too hot? It’s hard to tell if they are too hot or deficient

6 Likes

The soil itself is a pre-mixed and amended living soil blend. I have amendments but havent added them as a top dressing as the soil already appears to be quite hot.

Havent tried fish fert or kelp, there is some in the soil already and also it’s in my amendments.

5 Likes

Yeah, Probably with that leaf clawing too hot. Ugh! By next grow, you’ll probably have some kick ass soil. lol

5 Likes

Do you think a heavy flush might help cool the soil down?

3 Likes

Living soil indoors is an art among itself. One I have not tried to master. My living beds are outdoors and are maintained by soil tests. Good luck, Bro! Interested to see it unfold.

3 Likes

Well, a flush would remove any water soluble nutrients in the soil, but in a living soil water soluble nutrients are only the smallest fraction of available nutrition.

And yeah @Meesh I’m realizing it quickly that it has it’s own set of challenges. I set out on this journey in search of simplicity.

4 Likes

Honestly Bro, I decided long ago if I ever grew indoors, it would be in promix with chemical nutes. lol Just my own observation on simplicity and major growth in my outdoor container flowers. lol

I think you may just have to live with it through this grow and reap the rewards on the next once the soil is “ready”

4 Likes

Sorry to see your woes. Read the whole thread, watched as the plants turned. Gotta be hot /poor soil.
Not over watering, if it was when you let them dry out and then watered them, they would have stood up.

My monitor is screwed , colors are wrong, WHAT COLOR ARE THE LEAF’s…are they dark green??? Looks like N toxicity to me. You have burnt tips and the “claw” . I would have said mites/thrips, but you said you looked ???

Not used living soil, do not know if you can “flush” it, would think NOT!!! Thinking a flush accomplishes nothing.

Want to see if it is your soil??? Pop one out, remove all the soil from her roots, re pot her in “inert” soil, hit with mild nutes, see what happens.

For this reason I run only 100% organic inert soil…nothing it in, I FEED THEM, can actually track it that way.

Where it my grow, that is what I would do…re pot on into good soil, will see in just days if it makes a difference.

5 Likes

Leaves are dark green. I can tell it is N hot because the Dark Sparks on the sides, which usually remain a lime green, have been slowly darkening which I’m not used to seeing until mid flower.

The GTxSBRs (the ones drooping and acting weird) have actually been turning lighter green these last few days. Once again confusing me.

And yeah I’ve checked the plants up and down for pests but havent spotted anything.

I’m pretty much stumped at this point, hoping some LITFA will bring things around but… not looking good

4 Likes

You got some plain ass soil…re pot one and hit with light (1/2-1/4 nutes)

1 Like

When I ran the D.S they were absolutely LIME GREEN till they turned colors. IF they are dark, N is not your friend!!!

2 Likes

Yeah it’s just hot soil, it can either work itself out or it wont. Hopefully the plants wont die and I’ll just roll with the punches. I was hoping the plants would just burn through whatever excess there is and balance out but as it gets worse I’m doubting it more and more.

Is what it is…

6 Likes

Good 'tude !! Roll with it.

Start watering till run off then is what I would tell you…and good run off too, like a lot!
When I hand water I let them go light, then absolutely water till very good runoff occurs.

Now I remember why I run the way I do, shit like this would drive me crazy!!!

2 Likes

Heres the Dark Sparks, these pics dont do it justice but they are way darker green than we are used to seeing with them.

And I have to keep in mind that this whole grow was an experiment to see if I could achieve the same results with living soil as I was with Coco-coir and nutrients. Was trying to find something easy. “Just add water” is what I was going for.

11 Likes

I seem to remember that the pot size needs to be huge to sustain a reasonable sized plant with living soil. I looked at it but with the extra volume it was cost prohibitive.

5 Likes

Then let it run its course…water till run off, keep build up down, see if they respond as they get larger.
Live and learn. I know nothing of the soil mix your using, sorry, but hot is hot .

3 Likes

You can top-dress/amend it in smaller pots as needed, and that was my plan, I even have the Gaia Green 2-8-4 dry amendments specifically made for this soil. But they look overfed if anything so I cant blindly top dress it now.

Here is the soil, for reference

5 Likes

Yes that makes perfect sense. Hopefully they’ll be ok

2 Likes

Funny, lol, I just looked up that soil…1/0/0…HMMMMM… time released organic nutes…HMMMM

Your not over watering, your not under on lighting or conditions, it is that soil for sure mang!!!

2 Likes

Well yeah, of course its 1-0-0 those ratios are for the water soluble nutrients/salts that are in the soil, you would expect there to be next to none so 1-0-0 would mean 100% of the water soluble nutrients in the soil are water soluble Nitrogen, but you can’t use that number to gauge the actual amount of water soluble nitrogen that is in the soil, although I’m sure it’s relatively small. In the case of living soil these ratios really dont mean anything.

The nutrition in a blend like this comes from the biology in the soil as the different components interact with each other. It’s a nutrient factory that in my case is working over capacity lol.

5 Likes