TrevorLahey's Low Budget Growing Part 5: "The Ghost and the Darkness"

Congratulations on winning the light Trev, I blocked all the mars posts, what light did you win, was it their new big long one they were trying to push on people?

3 Likes

Thanks! Yeah it’s the SP-250 @Shadey

My 2x2 tent didnt arrive, so Amazon refunded my money just in time for black friday, so I can buy another 2x4 tent identical to the one I already have to put the SP-250 in. Pretty sweet!

Going to have two staggered 2x4’s going just like I had dreamed about. There IS a Santa Claus!

11 Likes

Day 29

Well now that I’m using some chelated nutrition, the plants seemed to have stopped drooping and perked back up. The last 3 days have been rough with all the yellowing/decay/leaf dropping but I can see they are now getting something they wanted before. Hopefully the death and decay slows down and I can reel this grow back in.

16 Likes

That’s good news, cheaper tent and a free light, the universe is working with you buddy. Go get a lottery ticket lol.

Plants are definitely looking better. Hopefully it won’t, affect the autos too much.

4 Likes

A package came today!

What’s in the box?!?! Wood flooring?!?!

Ohhh!

Thanks @Zoey for the SP250!

Very impressive shipping time! It was sent out on Wednesday from the other side of the country and showed up here this morning. Great job and top marks there.

Overall a sleek looking unit, it weighs about 8-9lbs and the construction and materials feel solid.

The aluminum heatsink appears to be of good quality and plenty of fins for heat dissipation.

The board itself is coated in this silicone/rubber coating. This is to make the board water resistant. It’s a little sticky so time will tell if it will pick up dust and my inevitable hair as I reach into my tent.

Powered by a 240w MeanWell driver. The cabling seems rugged and high quality, with high quality glands on both input and output cables, for optional extension of cables and/or relocation of the driver.

Let’s plug it in

Let there be light!

It’s really bright, should grow some good bud! I have another 2x4 tent coming that should be here mid-next week and we will get started on putting this light to the test.

22 Likes

Bro, I had weird thoughts about that soil when you found a head in it. lol
I believe I mentioned trying some fert awhile back after overwatering wasn’t an issue. Glad it worked out.
My cbd plant grow had epic buds with some cheap ass organic fish fert. I have since given up all that fancy expensive made for cannabis stuff. I wouldn’t worry too much about brand names, I think a cheap fert with the right npk ratio is just as good as the next. I’m gonna try Jacks next year in my container grows, just for shits and giggles and if I’m unhappy, I’ll just switch back to the 7 dollar a gallon cheap crap I used on the CBD. Shoot, I’ve realized that even a simple 10-10-10 all the way through can give you a decent grow, despite all the hooplah regarding nutes. In the end, cannabis is just an annual flower. No more, no less.

Congrats on winning the new grow light and bringing those plants around!

10 Likes

good for you :slight_smile:

I will have to follow along

all the best and grow well

Dequilo

4 Likes

Day 30

Well, they’re not dead so that’s a plus. They’re past the half way point now so I think we are going to get to the finish line.

Did a test on my soil today, came out 6.5pH and 125ppm.

Checked my reservoir with megacrop, it’s 900ppm and 6.3pH

So just going to keep it up and hope things get better as neither of my tests were extreme enough to cause concern.

19 Likes

Day 31

They’re definitely improving now. Still a few adjustments I’m sure I’ll have to make but I’m just thankful things are looking better today.

19 Likes

they sure are looking better :slight_smile:

all the best

Dequilo

3 Likes

Glad they are coming around. :+1::seedling:

4 Likes

They are getting there mojo on now Trev, looking better everyday.

3 Likes

Looking much better now, at least you know what the issue was now!

3 Likes

Day 32

Ok so ran into some issues today, one of the GTxSBR had sprouted some pollen sacs on the lowers. I first noticed something was up when I pulled a branch back to tie down and saw some white flakes flying around and knew for sure what it was.

I plucked about 12-20 of them off the lowers, and decided to strip all the lower growth off of that plant, up to where I saw the last sac.

I also misted all the plants down and also the tent to sterilize any stray pollen that’s still floating around and laying on leaves.

It looks better now anyways now that its pruned

And the other one I cant find any male growth on it yet, but it looks like it got knocked up a bit.

The Dark Sparks are obviously fine, but likely got hit with some pollen, might end up with some crazy cross lol

The Green Pheno

Purple Pheno (I know it needs to be flopped but I was preoccupied with plucking balls lol)

They are doing okay though, just gotta get through the next ~4 weeks.

Oh, and what’s this?

Yep new tent is in and all ready to go!! Thanks again @Zoey for the SP250 light!! Will have plants growing under it any day now!!

16 Likes

That’s four or five reports of those SBRxGT going hermie. Always seems.to be on the flowers, but usually only seen one or two. Sorry about that.

10 Likes

Lol not your fault for latent traits coming up in seeds that were produced specifically for testing :wink:

I think its manageable, was a little late on the catch so likely to have some seeds, but now that I defoliated all the lowers out the rest is easier to inspect day to day to make sure more dont pop up.

I was aware of this trait going in and also had a few immature seeds and a bit of microseed from last round of these but never found any staminate growth, but I knew I would see it sooner or later.

So yeah it’s just managing it without seeding out my crop for a few more weeks lol.

So now @ReikoX maybe I’ll try the DDxSBR cross next round alongside the regular dark sparks?

7 Likes

Day 33

I think this Dark Spark is going to get phat!

Also soaked my seeds for the SP250 run and I will update on those in the next day or so with my gameplan.

16 Likes

Day 34

GTxSBR

Dark Sparks

15 Likes

Nice turnaround on those they’re loving it now. That new light looks awesome, cool to see theres a good blend of diodes, even some far red in there…pro!

6 Likes

Lookie goodie @TrevorLahey !

Still some bumps in the road, but you handle them well! :slight_smile:
Congoratz on the light btw! You absolutely deserve it!! :smiley:

4 Likes