Trichomes on seedlings - what do we know?

Now that i, like others, have the possibility of making thousands of seeds of anything - and dare i say - germinate them by the handfuls, I’m most curious about ways to identify possible worthy candidates as early as possible.

What about trichomes showing in early vegetative state, even seedlings?

Have you found one?
What do we collectively know about them?

17 Likes

I guess we should ask about the different types of trichomes and when they start to appear.
@JoeCrowe has made a claim that the trich’s form on a vegging plant and grow along with the plant matter.
His claim is he can tell if the plant is a good hash producer just by examining the plant matter in veg.
Now does this translate into seedlings, I would not know, but @JoeCrowe may have a better idea.

4 Likes

I actually examine the bud, not the leaf. Looking at the leaf won’t work out in the long run because you are making hash and extracts out of the buds. In veg, there are already teeny tiny buds at each node, that form into full on buds in bloom. The little node buds are single, for the most part, and can be easily dissected.
I was curious about when the trichomes start to form, so I did an exploration mission and discovered they are on the plant in veg, as well as bloom. I’ll get some photos, gimme a sec. warms up the imaging gear

3 Likes

There are the two stages, veg bud and flower bud. The first image is of a pck plant in veg. The second image is the same plant but a close up of the bud in veg. Third image is what that bud will look like in the end: a single little bud on the side of the stem. Final image is a microscopic image of the bud in veg.

The trichomes are on the PCK plant already, and the tiny flap above is an immature bud, waiting for bloom. As the bud develops, so do the trichomes.

6 Likes

@JoeCrowe
Can we assume this is a pic of the calyx/bract/ovule?
AKA the female sex organ.
This term can be quite confusing as it is misused so often.

This is the way I understand things to be, not sure it is 100% true.

In cannabis, the ovules are located on or in the calyxes, which are the small, bulbous structures that protrude from the bracts.
The calyxes protect the ovules and, if pollinated, the ovules will develop into seeds.

3 Likes

Yep technical term is calyx.

5 Likes

What about capitate sessile trichomes as early as a couple days old?

Does it correlate to favorable traits later on? Potency, trichome density, vigor for exemple.

Reading around, it would seem early trichomes don’t mean much, some surmised it’s a sign of seedlings being happy…

Given this type of trichomes function, could early production be a sign for the potential to be noticably more odorous or permit the expression of new flavors ?

3 Likes

Bog lifesaver f2, notice the whorled phyllotaxy

The main reason for this odor hypothesis, is these skunks are rife with capitate sessile trichomes.

Dankwolf said of the old skunk, that it had trichomes sticking out of the leaves, looked to pierce through and left a small bump at each base.

4 Likes

There will be a new trend of smoking microgreens microweed!

2 Likes

Is that Life Saver a trifoliate?

2 Likes

Yes, possibly a blueberry one at that… it got discarded because it wasnt what i was looking for at the time. Foolish of me.

Fused leafs too…:open_mouth:

4 Likes