Trying to lock a cut in seed form

was interested in this idea as i want to have a sagety net in case of an uncontrolable event that would make me loose my cuts

so would crossing to an other strain then use a male from this progeny to backcross it my best route or am i wayoff track?

4 Likes

I would self the cut and save a bunch of S1 seeds in cold storage. You’re bound to find something pretty similar in the selfed seeds.

10 Likes

i have a bottle of sts i havent used yet im unsure about using it, im dtill undecided if i wanna do fems or not

2 Likes

S1 would be the fastest bet for you

4 Likes

A bunch of cuts self well, meaning progeny won’t segregate and will all be very close to the cut. For the cuts that do segregate, locking the preferred pheno in seed form is nothing short of sorcery.

4 Likes

ohh your gonna make me spray
riley reids face meme

now the reversale is gonna be a new venture for me, any tips before i fuck it up?

2 Likes

Yep start spraying the chosen cut a week before flip spray heavy right when the lights go out and spray lightly before the lights come on 18/6 for veg 12/12 for flower and you only need to spray a branch of the plant. It the whole plant, UNLESS you are growing in small containers then use one whole plant as the pollinator. That how I do it everyone has there own way I suppose.

5 Likes

i have the ability to clone so should i clone it to have one donor snd one receiver or it doesnt matter

I would make more cuts then you can have a designated pollinator and the rest will give you seeds and you can store some of the pollen in jars for later .

4 Likes

Probably tubes for a small scale

2 Likes

thanks man i apreciate the input it has brighten up the path im on

1 Like

You’re more than welcome :call_me_hand:t2:

Yup…make a bunch of cuts…spray a handful with sts before going into flower…30 days later you’ll have well formed balls and flowers ready to accept the pollen.

But then keep more cuts on the side…always cuts…always

Always

I’m out of likes.

And keeping that pollen, like he suggested, is a good plan too.

11 Likes

Another option is to give it away far and wide so if you do lose it you have options to get it back.

10 Likes

S1 is probably the easiest, but you could also try a regular cross with a distinct male from a strain you know well. Ie Using a squat broad leaf plant with an easily identifiable structure, leaf shape, smell etc, and then in the f1s select a few males that lean towards your mom to BX. Northern lights is a classic example of a male for this.

6 Likes

this is the kinda gems im prospecting for thx for this contribution @ramblinrose

1 Like

Backcrossing and selfing are the usual methods. Look up @Tonygreen’s work on the RIL if you want to really make it a project; I believe he’s got it documented on his Insta feed, though I haven’t actually signed up for Insta because it’s a cesspool so I don’t know for sure. :stuck_out_tongue: IIRC he backcrossed to GG4 up to a BX5, then collaborated with someone else to cross with his BX6 from the Chem side; even that’s not a 100% perfect repro, of course, but it’s apparently fairly stable in expressing like the GG4 clone and smokes almost exactly like the original in my experience.

6 Likes

It’s also a great way to maintain vigor in your line. It’s an old old breeding process. Take an f1, make two separate lines from it. Line breed or backcross those lines for 3-5 generations until you isolate what you want, then recombine them into one and you should get back all the vigor from the F1’s or better. If you do it right you can come really close to recreating that first F1 again in seed form like TonyGreen’s RIL.

I’m not big into the thought of finding the mom in S1’s. Any heterozygous parent isn’t going to show up in S1’s like that. You’re only going to find pieces, not the whole pie. Homozygous traits will shine through though. Plus your stuck with chemical reversal as your only way forward.

For the backcrossing idea, you really have two options.
Find a male that’s structurally different or easily identifiable in some other way. Use that to make f1’s and then find a male in those offspring that’s as close to your mom as you can get, with or without those extra traits, and start the backcross process.

Other option is find a line as close to your clone as possible and use that to make the F1’s instead. It’s going to make that initial selection a little harder to discern, but done right and you’ll be reinforcing the mom’s traits from the get go. Instead of mixing them up/diluting them by using an unrelated outcross.

Regardless, you’ll probably need at least two backcrosses to nail anything down in large numbers.

10 Likes

Many great techniques and methods being mentioned for preserving desirable genetics. Selfing and making hybrids helps preserve the genetics within seedform and finding similar or better representations within those seeds is totally possible. The stability of the genetics being used will determine the amount of variability in genetic recombination.

That said, there is something else that can be done to help preserve elite genetics and specific cuttings. That’s to share them with others for safekeeping so that if something unfortunate happens to your copy there are still backups. It’s not always an option but if it is it can be quite helpful in keeping genetics around. Many blessings and much love

5 Likes

Can I double check it’s 99.9% silver nitrate I need to self a plant, I’ve got the thio??? part it’s just the silver I require.

I’d like to try it and I’ve few plants I wouldn’t want to loose.

1 Like