Ultimate sativa.. "Project Pipe Dream"

If you are just discovering Malawi, here’s a teaser for you.

Black Death # 2

Malawi crossed with Black Lime Special Reserve

Those expensive seeds you were talking down on, BLSR is a Second Place Emerald Cup strain for 2014, Malawi lives up to the hype if grown correctly. Its something a friend of mine has been working with locally. And what do you know, here she is, The flower time is trimmed down to 12 weeks, This bad girl is high yield and frosty like you wont believe.

Trippy, and Narcotic…

4 Likes

I was not talking down the quality of Aficionado seeds product, only the extreme cost of them I have seen packs of their seeds for $600 and personally I find that ludicrous even if a great product. But as I said before to each his own, I’m a cheapskate perhaps is all. Also I stated that I am no breeder at all never once stated that. Infact I stated that I’m pretty much a noob. I have done a few grows around 6 and that’s it. And they were small scale personal grows.
I also stated more than once I do not need to spearhead this project I’m fine just participating, But having said that, it was my Idea. I don’t see anyone else suggesting doing a OG landrace project… By all means let someone else spearhead the project. But I have not seen anyone else recommend such idea… Infact "GrowerGoneWild " if you like the idea but not me spearheading the project why don’t you spearhead the project, I’m totally fine with that as long as I can participate in my Idea it’s cool with me.

This right here Pookie! Your spirit and enthusiasm is the tits. Your insight might be a lil muddled is all. No big deal! I too personally dream of breeding incredible sativa/landrace strains. I would love to share some seed with you and If you care for any of my stock and can wait about 6 more months, I’ll send you some! I’ll holler at you in 6 mnths. Keep positive and keep that spirit and the innocence of enthusiasm! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Right on… thanks for supporting pookie… I do forget things like having a good attitude is very important to a successful project.

1 Like

Thankyou Toothpicks, Sounds good as this will be a long process anyways, also it will give me more time to organize things and I have a current grow of Triangle kush X stardawg and Purple Mayhem X Goo Skunk (norstar testers). Thanks for the offer, I appreciate it.

1 Like

Thank’s for your input MiG.

Just checking back in hopes of keeping this topic relevant. I did find some interesting landrace crosses i’m going to pick up thanks to MiG… Gracias Senor !

1 Like

The black death looks great and I am for sure going to get some Malawi. I definitely want to ad some african landrace strains to my "Project pipe dream " Right now I have been eyeballing the Malawi,Durban, Reunion “zamal”, Highland ethiopian and Sinai to name a few, hell almost all of the african strains interest me for one reason or another.
My brother was in vietnam for about 4 years but,he is not the type that would have been willing to look for some vietnamese strains for me or anyone else unfortunately.That could have been a goldmine for sure if it were me there in place of him… Well back on topic.
But yeah, I might just try and make an african only strain as there is surely enough genetics from there to work with. I already thought of a strain name: "African Safari " or just “Safari” ok maybe not! But I do like the Idea of an all african mashup of genetics.

Here ya go, my buddys landrace moms Durban, Panama, Malawi, Zamdelica …

We just picked up a set of Nigeran seeds.

4 Likes

Nice, Looks like someone has an interest in using landrace genetics to breed with. I think more and more breeders have started going that direction to find new and exciting strains rather than just mixing 2 or more popular strains. I’m no breeder but it makes sense to me to start with strains that are as pure as we can find nowadays for building blocks.
Well even the Durban poison is hard to find in it’s purest form as the dutch and others mixed in a little indica along the way. I also hear durban is really a broad name for strains of that area really say a swazi or a swazi mixed strain.
Who really knows until they map the DNA of all the strains. Then we will know what’s really what. I guess the Phylos project is a step in the right direction.

One of the problems with crossing back to a landrace is flower time is longer. Black Death flower time is longer like a typical landrace. In a way crossing back to a landrace brings out undesirable things but really gives a boost as far as yield from what we have observed, but the flower time is longer.

Crossing polyhybrids in my experience isolates traits, I’ve been working with Fire OG, and mated with say GSC, We really can bring out specific traits faster. And it depends on how you dust. You have to work landraces more to get what you want. … Therefore F1 selection is more important. … Its less likely the trait is homozygous… IMHO.

The polyhybrids traits are already refined, so its a easier to bring out certain traits. Like GG4 x Mt Rainer, = Loctite, its Gorilla Glue frost but with improved structure and I think better smoke quality. And the modern cultivars have higher THC or CBD vs the wild cultivars.

If ya cant wrap your head around this look at Brassica spp. the cultivars have brought out very specific traits, Cabbage, Broccoli… etc… Back crossing it with landrace could make it less desirable. However all cole crops originate from that wild variety.

1 Like

Yes, I am aware of the issues of longer flower times and having more undesired traits working with landraces. As you have stated lines like gg4 especially strains like skunk #1 and say blueberry by DJ Short have been worked to breed out the undesirable traits ie they are stable lines. I’ve also thought to add a good stable polyhybrid to my landrace crossings just for those reasons. Thank’s for your input.

From what Seeds Banks are?
If ya’re lookin for good even exclusive sativas, let my recomend ya Cannabiogen (Mextiza, Destroyer, Meao Thai, Jamaican Blue Montain, Panama, LeshotoHaze, Purple Mexican); Tropical Seeds (Full Energy, Congo, Senegal,Ethiopian Highland, Zamaldelica, Mango Carrot); or Underground Seed Colective (ColJam, Zamamistika); the old ACE stuff (Tikal, Guatemala, Guavi, Double Thai, Double Jam), Afropips (Malawi, Power Malawi); or Delicatessen Seeds…

About Malawis, @GrowerGoneWild, I always readed n heared the Afropips Malawi was one of the betters…but Afropips Seed Bank is now closed…

I dont know, it could be, the only Malawi I have experience with is Ace.

I have not personally tried any ACE seeds strains but I have read and heard good things. I intend on trying some of their strains in the near future for sure though.

Philosophy
CANNABIS BREEDING AND PRESERVATION ASSOCIATION.

ACE Seeds is a collective of breeders and cannabis lovers, dedicated to the preservation and study of this wonderful plant.

Our planet is suffering from a constant loss of its genetic diversity and cannabis is no exception. It is our responsibility to preserve all these unique forms of life and maintain the biodiversity of our environment.

Pure varieties, the origin of all existing commercial and domestic varieties, are a consequence of the great power of adaptation of this plant to the diverse ecosystems of our planet, as well as of the intense centenarian relations between man and cannabis.

Pure varieties are disappearing for many reasons, such as the elimination of their natural habitats, wars, loss of ancestral cultures, genetic contamination of local varieties due to globalization and, above all, the ban on this plant in almost everything the planet.

Although hundreds of industrial, medicinal, energy and food applications of cannabis, the potential that this plant has to offer has not yet been developed.

Many of these pure varieties have a unique cannabinoid and terpene profile, which could serve to treat very different diseases.

1 Like

I have tried Cannabiogen’s Peyote purple but unfortunately someone decided to relieve me of my outdoor grow about 4 weeks into flower. But the peyote purple I have seen has been in my eyes the most beautiful buds I have seen. Absolutely covered in frost and purple. Look on youtube for medicropper’s videos of his peyote purple finished flowers. It is absolutely stunning! The most beautiful flower I have seen to date.
I hear it is not the most potent around 15-18 percent THC but still a favorite of those who have smoked it. For those that don’t know peyote purple is a variety of Bubba kush.

1 Like

I’m never scared to contribute to the cause. PM me, I’ll see what I can do. But you gotta understand, at this point in the game, so many people have been burned by so-called vets and “good guys” in the game that turned out to be snakes, that people aren’t willing to go out on a limb for strangers, let alone risk their rare, hard-earned genes, only to potentially lose them forever to someone you thought was real, but turned out to be a scumbag. It’s understandable.

But hey, life is all about risks. If you never take any risk, you’ll never see any reward, either.

-beans

3 Likes

Thank you for your generous offer. I don’t claim to be a veteran grower though as I have only had about 6 seasons under my belt. But I would love to make this project happen or at least started and see how far it can go. If you want I’m willing to make some f1’s or s1’s of your seeds and send some back to you if you’re low on what you have. Thank’s again. I’ll pm soon.

Yeah, I agree… gotta have references, pictures of the grow. I need somebody to verify that it can be done.
I’ve given out rares and pollen locally. . I have yet to get a return on any of it. This guy I send stuff to it gets done, and I get some seeds.

Breeder buddy of mine popping those seeds…

3 Likes