Ultimate sativa.. "Project Pipe Dream"

Sorry if i hijacked your thread. I cleaned it up a bit.

No worries. Like I said at least it keeps the thread alive somewhat .:sunglasses:

1 Like

I have a free seed/clone exchange thread started, it has the permission of Lemonade Joe, I have freebies Iā€™d like to send out but they dont meet the specifications in this thread. Iā€™m sure the ā€œpipe dreamā€ group here could use also do seed trading there too.

Enjoy!

2 Likes

What is you have to offer? I looked at your thread but did not notice any list of strainsā€¦ Iā€™ll post on your thread also. Thankā€™s GGWild.

Its for the users within the thread to trade. Iā€™ll post a picture of my freebies iā€™m offering on the thread, I figgure I have to drop a few seeds to the peeps within the thread to get things started.

Its not my best seeds and germination rate is questionable but hey its free.

3 Likes

I managed to get a few landrace strains seeds that might help towards my project! Some Thai and some Malawi Goldā€¦ Thanks again guys.
I might get this project off the ground. Iā€™m going to take the few Thai seeds Iā€™ve gotten and make some f1ā€™s to get a little seed stock of them in order to try and find something special. I figure with quite a few f1ā€™s to work with I should find a lot of diversity to work with.

2 Likes

Good luck! Looking forward to your adventure!

I know this thread has not been to active as of lately but I just wanted to thank those that have offered to help with seeds for my ā€œpipe dreamā€ project .
I also just wanted to say that it looks like I might just get this project started very soon as somehow in just the last 24 hours or so I have had 2 more people that have said that they have a selection of landraces from around the world that they are willing to share with me. With my mother passing recently it is nice to have something good to speak of. Thanks again everyoneā€¦

4 Likes

Your determination is admirable. Iā€™m going to enjoy following your experiences.

I remember when I jumped from newbie to Nevilleā€™s Haze. It took 2 years and several cycles until I got everything right. Flowering times that can reach up to 20 weeks with some sativas will test your patience as a grower, especially if you space is limited.

Irie

1 Like

Thank you ray, Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll be tested for sure working with these landraces. Hopefully most will finish out as Iā€™m around 30 degs. N latitude if this next winter is anything like this last it will help for sure. I did run a Haze cross a couple years ago that went 12-16 weeks depending on pheno. I know that some landraces can go 20 weeks or more though.
But yes Iā€™m sure Iā€™m going to have quite the challenge working with these lines, But I really feel that landraces are where it is at in finding the rare genetics to work with for future strains. Just look at the legendary Haze line, Mostly worked landrace genetics. That is what I am aspiring to in a strain or multiple strains that are reminiscent of the haze line, but using different landrace genetics such as africanā€™s for one.
I guess I could not have chosen a more challenging first breeding project than this one. I am counting on my love of this plant to help keep me motivated . Once I have worked with it for a while and have gotten some viable seeds produced I will reach out to others on here to help out as it will surely be helpful to have more than just me working on this. I know a lot of people donā€™t want to work with long flowering plants but that is something I will be working on also is trying to shorten the flowering times once I find the proper fast flowering landraces to work with. First things first though.
I still need work on my plan for moving forward with this project.
Iā€™m sure I will be here looking for much needed advice often.
Though this forum is young compared to others out there, I feel it has something that the other sites lack in. It feels more personal I guess because it is smaller and there is more freedom here than the other sites and I know there are veterans here from the old OverGrow and that is a good thing considering that the old OG was considered the go to site for a reason! So I choose to stay with this site through my project efforts as I think that the information I learn and the help I will get from here will be invaluable.

3 Likes

How much plants are ya thinkin to will grow?
Ya can grow apart males from females?
ā€¦How many years are ya thinkin to will work your proyect? Have ya got a indoor? How many plants can ya grow Outdoor?..Have ya done intencional crosses before?
I think maybe yare givin a lot of importance to Seeds, n no about how to do it this kind of breeding proyectā€¦

Iā€™m sorry you feel that way Migā€¦ Without any seeds then you have nothing to work withā€¦ I have to start with first things first and that happens to be seed selection or clones. Well in my situation seeds are my only option. Then I have to grow out some of these landraces to try and start a selection process ā€¦ I have a small indoor area that I will start about 100-150 seedlings then transfer them outside after a few weeks, Then I will start going through the ones I find interesting and cull the rest, So I figure I might end up with 1 out of every 10 plants that will be worth growing out.
Then from those I will hopefully find some nice males to pollinate with the females I have chosen to keep. I will probably use the paper bag method to pollinate the moms I have chosen as to not pollinate all my plants with the same males. I will tape a paper bag over chosen plants and spray down the rest I donā€™t want pollinated with a water hose. This way I can pollinate different plants with different male selections. It will not be easy but I think I can do it.
I have made a cross before though only once. I do not kid myself MiG, I know this will take a lot of patience and a long time. It could take 4-5 years or more if I stay with it. I hope that after I make many more seeds of each landrace I will then have enough to be able to send seeds to anyone that will be willing to participate and help me with my project. I think that in order for this project to succeed it will require the help of fellow experienced growers here on Overgrow. I will welcome anyone that wants to participate as soon as I make enough seeds I will to be able to send them around for everyone to work with .
I hope that others will want to participate, as much more can be accomplished when people work together on a project than just one manā€¦ I am just a novice with a ā€œPipe Dreamā€ as I aptly named my project I think! But like I said I am a novice compared to so many vets on this sight, So I look forward to learning from some of you guys and gals and hope that some of you will want to participate once I get things going.

3 Likes

My English sounds rude, excuse me, I know cos all English Native Tongue sais me : ā€œYare a nice person but ya speak like a Congolese guerrilleroā€¦ā€

I try to say ya: Why dont look for the ā€œMalawi Killerā€ pheno in my Psilocybo Malawi Bangui n then ya cross it with a early fruity sativa like C99, Power Plan DP or Lilly PiƱa Delicatessenā€¦

N later yall work n selection your new crossā€¦ A good way to starting to learnā€¦
Opinions, OG breedersā€¦?

By all means, Please read my mind and tell me where my priorities should be. Then tell me how I should do things the right way. I just assumed that the first step would be to acquire various genetics then start going through a selection process to find out which strains have the qualities I am looking for.

Then from there make more selections based on what phenos of those strains I want to work with, Then I would start pollinating the plants that I chose to be keepers. Once I had seeds from the plants I pollinated I would then start over again with my selection process from the plants that came from those seeds. Once I have sufficient seeds from the plant I have chosen to work with I will then hopefully have other members here such as you that might be willing to assist me with further selections and crossings. That is what I hope will happen. We will see.
Like I said I named my project ā€œPipe Dreamā€ for a reason.,Because it is just that. I donā€™t pretend that it will be an easy feat to accomplish, but with the help of like minded members here it does not have to end up being a pipe dream. I really think the key will be having a group of us working together on this. There are many talented and knowledgeable people here that could help see it through. Ok sorry to ramble on so long and make you guys read so much. Thankā€™s again to those that have helped out. I hope to learn a lot from this adventure!

1 Like

I appreciate your suggestions MiG, But I am also going to cross some worked lines. But I do not need to learn how to pollen chuck. I think I can manage that just fine. I have grown a cross before. I do not plan on only working with landraces. But as far as my project goes, I know what I want to do for the most part and I realise that it will take a long time I am not kidding myself. I know for sure that I want to be able to work with various landraces from around the world.
This is what I want to do, I know it will be a pain in the butt with the long flowering times and hermies and dealing with other unwanted characteristics that come with dealing with wild landraces. It will be a learning experience that I welcome. I hope to be able to learn a lot from the experience. I know it will not be easy at all. If I fail, then I fail. But I wonā€™t see it as a failure even if I donā€™t finish what I started I will have learned from it all. And I will always have the landrace seeds as building blocks for other projects. I know I am a novice compared to others here but I have grown for a few years and with each grow I get better and learn more. Iā€™m in my mid 40ā€™s so Iā€™m not just some kid that thinks he knows it all but really knows nothing.

1 Like

I know you think I am biting off more than I can chew, and that by working with hybrids that have already been worked it will make it easier on me, and no doubt that would be the case. I do plan on working with some hybrids and will perhaps use one as a base for my crosses so that it will make it a little easier on me as far growth characteristics and flowering times go.
Actually I have someone that kindly sent me some Durban-Thai Highflyer seeds from the old super sativa club -they sound awesome though they are around 20 years old, so there is a good chance they will not germinate, But I will try for sure and if successful I will surely post about them, Iā€™m also getting some old c99x amnesia that are also at least 15 years old both sound like wonderful crosses for a sativa lover. I did also get some crosses from from free spore that you suggested from the breeder Weak I got a few ciskei x cognition and OTH X congolese X ciskei though they said that the seeds had a low germination rate Iā€™m gonna give them a try. So I have to cross my fingers that I can get some of these to germinateā€¦ The hard part is going through so many strains and having to pick which ones to continue to work withā€¦

3 Likes

Hey @pookie123, donā€™t let anyone tell you how to do what you want to doā€¦ itā€™s awesome to see someone take the long route to find something special and uniqueā€¦ too many people today are just interested it throwing pollen from hybrid to hybrid. Especially with the clone onlys that show up as a new elite cut Every yearā€¦ not that they donā€™t have their advantages or anything, you can find some really great cannabis in those genetics but to find that something special there has to be a lot of work involvedā€¦ I admire you determination and envy your latitude. Lol. Hopefully all goes according to plan, by the end of the year Iā€™ll own a home and have the ability to set up a nice indoor grow and help in this endeavor. Who knows, you may be responsible for the next best Holy Grail sativa strain in existence that in 20 years makes up a huge percentage of the new hybrids that exist thenā€¦ All the breeders will say, if you want to make your strain all around a better plant, cross it to Pookieā€™s Pipe Dream!

1 Like

HaHa, now that truly would be a ā€œpipe dreamā€ come true. You never know stranger things have happened before.:sunglasses:

3 Likes