Upstate new York grows

Hi guys/girls,
I am in upstate new York and going to be bringing all my plants I’ve been growing inside under led lights, I’m going to put all 20 plants out in a greenhouse in my backyard, my only concern is some of the plants have been growing for a few months and some only a few weeks, 1 jack frost, 1 mango Kush, 3 stargazers, 3 lemon og Kush, 1 purple Haze, 3 sugar haze, 1 blue cheese, 1 chemdog, 1 banana m.a.c., and a bunch of random kush seeds I’ve had, haven’t run across very many males yet, got rid of 2 last few weeks but so far all looks good, I’m just scared because I have total control inside, now I have to relinquish to the spirits of nature. Any tips would be great!

26 Likes

I’m much in the same boat. Upstate NY, about to bring plants outside… I know that UV from the sun is a big factor, and our indoor plants are not ready off the get go to handle full sun and not be damaged. I know that its important to have them out in a shaded area that does not receive full sunlight for the first week or so until they acclimate to be able the handle the UV from direct sunlight.

I was looking at our weeks weather, and it might not be so bad sun wise to give it a try this week, better still if you have a greenhouse.

7 Likes

Welcome to OG!

If it’s still in your yard you are still at the helm. These plants grow swimmingly in nature, just have to trust the process.

Nice lineup by the sounds of it :+1:

5 Likes

Upstate ny also. The sun isn’t bad right now for putting them outside. If your worried about it being too strong, put them out on an overcast day.
It’s still possible for frost depending on where upstate you are.

7 Likes

What they said :point_up_2:

3 Likes

Hello and welcome to the OG @Karma !

My worry would be the light hours.

I am not familiar with growing in NY outdoors but you want to make sure your plants don’t switch to flower due to your sunlight only light hours.

You might want to check with another outdoor grower in NY.
I am in Southern :us: and If I put plants out right now they will flip to flower.

If your plants are already growing with Sunlight so far with no supplemental lighting in your greenhouse than never mind me.

Any outdoor New York growers out there than can assist?

I can tell you 100% Nature is the greatest grower of plants on earth.
The key will be to use nature to your advantage.
Moving plants outside is a great thing and will help to up your growing game. The more experience you have the better you will grow as a cannabis cultivator.

As you are moving into a greenhouse you are IMHO getting the best of both worlds. I have temp humidity sensors everywhere. I monitor the weather reports like a hawk. You will be your own weather person in no time.

I am not sure what your greenhouse’s position is to the sun but you may want to look into a greenhouse shade covers.

I am sure there will be a bunch of OGers along sooner or later that we be able to give you more info on moving your grow outside to your greenhouse.

You can also use OG’s search feature on the top right hand side of your screen to find relevant info that may assist you.

Good luck and welcome to greenhouse growing :call_me_hand:

8 Likes

Welcome to OG @Karma!

I’m in Las Vegas and I have had my plants outside for about 2 weeks now
It has been any where from 75-85* F
I think you will be ok
I had them inside for about 3 weeks

2 Likes

Upstate NY here also, they may do ok in the greenhouse, I’d string up some patio lights to keep them in veg. My brother put a bunch of small seedlings and clones outside Saturday and they’re not dead yet lol. Good luck bud :seedling: :man_farmer: :man_dancing:

5 Likes

I have to say I laugh every time I hear upstate. In ny it means everything north of nyc. Basically the whole rest of the state

11 Likes

That is exactly what I did…!

I put out these guys and put some 60W led bulbs in a few. I did leave a few of the bulbs that came with it in so it appears to be just regular ol’ patio lighting

EDIT…
Just checked my volunteer at the bottom of the wood chip pile and yep its in flower.

I am 1/2 tempted to go hit it with pollen :wink:

3 Likes

I should say Adirondacks then lol…yeah some people from Kingston and Yonkers think they live upstate.

7 Likes

1 Like

I’m just outside of Kingston lol

3 Likes

Long Island here, anything past the Bronx is upstate to us lol.

5 Likes

Glad to see so many New Yorkers here! I’m in the Adirondacks. I’m starting a tray of seeds this weekend and sticking them outside next month. Starting late this year, but gonna to throw some autos out too! Last year, I used some organic soil that I made and the raccoons dug up half my plants because it had bone meal and blood meal in it. This year I’m going to try promix bales. Good luck everyone!

9 Likes

Welcome to OG! I am a fellow NY’er. I live in St. Lawrence County. I haven’t decided if I am going to grow outside yet or not.

7 Likes

Ok, I had some pollen left over from a seed project that is well underway. I am not sure the pollen is even viable at this point so I gave it a light dusting…

We shall see. This girl is in the back of the property and will get Zero care from me. We shall see if she even makes it a few months out there.

All for the gram!

Oh ya! The moral of this story is if you put your veg plants outside right now you better have supplemental lighting or they are going to flip…

4 Likes

Clones might start to flower on yah but the seedlings r gonna hammer .I have a cardboard box with a piece of glass on it for the cold days just don’t forget to take it off on the really “ warm” days …103 degrees in there :sweat_smile: bunch of autos in preflower mode I’m prolly gonna finish off outside …with some more trailing behind it …have so many veggies started in trays that need to get out! Rototilled one hoop house soil was still pretty cold though …today with over cast and the temperate outside being 50it was 64 in the hoop house the nights still drop kind of low but next week I feel like we r ready rip fellas

2 Likes

Heck yeah, I’ve got the itch to bring em all outside. I’ve got some leggy cucumbers that are looking grumpy. But Im worried it’s going to get a bit chilly. I didn’t even think of warning my brother that the clones might flower…oops. Didn’t even cross my mind until I read this. I’m rototilling tomorrow and throw down some cover crop- probably two weeks of setting it up slowly for me .

3 Likes