Using milk as an antiseptic and other uses

I have been told by a couple of more local grower that they impliment milk for many things including general feeding,and was looking to get some opinions and experiences from other growers on OG thanks ya’ll.

1 Like

In my experience one part milk and three parts water as foliar will kill and get rid of powdery mildew. It happened to me, and i used it like that, and had to spray the plants only once. And it worked miraculously.

1 Like

I also have used it on powdery mildew control worked good,a friend of mine quite successful guerrilla grower said he has use it for spidermite control, I have yet to see this in action.

1 Like

Maybe it works the same way that fatty acids do in potassium soap insecticide. I mean, i would assume the fat in the milk would be harzardous for those softbellied suckers!

1 Like

It works just don’t over do it and if you do over do it rinse really well with clean water and give plenty of air. (Self proven results)

I helped fk up an already fkd harvest by over doing it with milk. Use neem oil or h2O2 with sugar instead.

1 Like

i thought you had gotten bud rot/botrytis or am i remembering that wrong?

2 Likes

I did, with the Alien Rift and LGOGxSF, but the grow before that i got PM and got rid of it super quick with the milk thing.

3 Likes

along the same thought line, was wondering if unpasturized stuff might work even better…?

Less processed = more enzymes.?

Yes in fact it does. Whole milk is what they recommend, but i like to boil it first at least u know.

Even tho, the one time i did it was with whole milk out of a jug.

i resisted reading this thread because it just sounded bonkers. :slight_smile:
but lactobacillus is our growing friend, a helpful milky bacterium.

i remember my mom made a concoction of milk, water, & egg as deer-repellant for her roses when i was young… weird. i guess it worked.

mmm. venison chili…

:evergreen_tree:

2 Likes

@cannabissequoia, I agree it does sound like nonsense…but I have spoken with countless people who swear by it’s effectiveness for PM…so I started researching…

It works.

I would have had some research links but unfortunately you guys are like 15 years late, that computer has prolly been retired for too many years.

You just got to believe me, that there’s scientific studies about this out there.

I guess google is your friend, but I won’t go that far because it is enough that I know.

You might know too, if you believe me.

1 Like

Hey @robertaaronson are you using a certain ratio and if so do you mind sharing your method and or results if it’s workimg? Cheers

@Kalgrae

Here’s a wiki paste:

And my memory says that the studies experimented with different dilution ratios. However the conclusion was that after 10% solution there is no extra benefit of any kind. You’ll only use more milk. Drink that milk, instead of spraying it uselessly.

I however found some study on grapevines, and I quote an important finding from it (and I will bold that finding to point it out) - and btw they used the 10% solution:

So in other words; Do not overdose on the ratio, the main thing is to cover the whole plant with that milky water. If you can’t get it fully covered, doesn’t really matter if you spray them at all. So do it properly or don’t do it at all type of thing.

3 Likes

I’m too far along in flower to feel comfortable using the milk method. Going to try a diluted concoction of orange/lemon citrus oil and PH’d water in 10+ range. And follow up with a spray of distilled water to help rinse any residue left behind.

Sorry if that steers off topic. :scorpion:

1 Like

How come you’re comfortable with spraying the plants but not okay with spray with a solution containing milk? :slight_smile:

I mean, it its guaranteed to work. I have used it outdoors for berry bushes in the past.

2 Likes

As far as spraying in flower, I’d be worried about residual milk fats and proteins in the plant matter, in the same way dirt gets in leeks and lettuce. The essential oil route is all volatile so I would expect it to be less likely to still be there when it comes time to smoke.
That’s just me though

2 Likes

You are right, fat + THC, we know how that goes. Maybe use low to 0% fat milk?

I know the essential oils might work too, but just was puzzled a bit because this topic was about milk, and people have had good results with such a dilute.

Spraying in flower is risky no matter what’s in the water.

The tighter packing variety you got the more you’re taking a risk.

@Kalgrae I hope all goes well for you though! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The instances I used it, I let it sit for a short while then rinse with plain h2o

1 Like