Using pollen from an auto on a regular female

Anyone knows what happens if you use pollen from an auto on a regular cannabis female?

1 Like

You will get a mixed bag of progeny showing auto, semi auto and photoperiod traits. You would need to breed through filial generations to hone in the genetics you want to carry forward just like any other breeding project.

5 Likes

I just did the opposite😂 Had an accidental pollination on the autoflowers with photoperiod pollen. Mephisto Alien VS Triangle. Got a ton of beans from like 6 different plants. 3 alien dominant, One triangle dominant, one “shop rag” pheno, and one that smells like an alkaline battery. So I might have to hunt and find out myself before too long. Especially the alkaline one. That one was great!

1 Like

Much appreciate your time and information.

1 Like

Have a single auto mail and was thinking of collecting the pollen for the regular photos, you have answered the question and I really appreciate you taking the time.

1 Like

Your resulting seeds (F1) will ALL be “Fast Photos” or Photos carrying the auto gene. NONE of those will be autos.

Take those F1 seeds, find a male / female, and make seeds, and you will get 25% Photo, 50% Photo w/ auto gene, and 25% autos…

Or take an F1 female, pollenate with known auto pollen, and get 50% photo carrying the auto gene, and 50% autos from the resulting seeds.

Pollinating an Auto with a photo will be the same as making F1’s at the beginning of my post, they will all be Photoperiod (since photo is dominant gene), carrying the auto gene but not presenting as autos.

Look up Punnet Squares to calculate percentages of the progeny.

9 Likes

It depends on what the genetics of the regular female is. If it has no Ruderalis genes at all, you’ll get a F1 generation that uniformly expresses as photo (though some theorize this is what influences plants to express as “semi-autos,” technically there is no such thing) but also uniformly has the recessive gene for auto-flowering. The F1 generation, if bred to each other or other plants with Ruderalis genes, will produce what @NorthNorthNugs described.

1 Like

I get asked this all the time.

4 Likes

Sounds like a fun grow,I’ve never crossed a photo with an auto or the other way around,make a thread if your going to pop some of them seeds of yours

1 Like

I had some photos that got pollinated by a ditchweed thief in the night. The resulting seeds that I germinated were all autos. And crap weed to boot. I should add my veg tent is on 24/7.

Are you sure you didnt have fast photos? Genetics isn’t an opinion, there’s rules and dominant / recessive traits that can be easily figured out. No punnet square will give you all autos unless both parents are auto, because photos are dominant and genetics will follow those rules… Dominant genes prevail, and Photo is a dominant gene…

@ReikoX 's link above explains it easily…

I think of every seed as being a cross of something or another. All I know was the seeds were all photos I had and the seeds I collected from the plants were autos and started to flower under 24 hour light.

The crap seeds, I took a chance on them and they turned into scrawny little plants. Under 24 hour light.

And then outside since I did not want to waste the space under the indoor lights.[img]

1 Like

You can do it lol

I must say that there seemed to be two ‘flavors’ to the above plants. The structure was a little different between the two types although they were all the same crappy plant.

Moms.

Wast of my time collecting these.

Just as they were going into flower indoors.

It wouldn’t surprise me one bit if there turned out to be many different auto genes in unknown plants. If your 10000% sure your original plants were photos. Maybe its something different.

Grew them a few times before, got back the two plants from a buddy that had too many for his tent and I grew them outside. Only flowered when I flipped.