Using stills to make RSO and brewing alcohol to make EverClear from scratch

Been curious about using a still for that. I use a rice cooker . Not very high tech, I know. But it works. Do you use something small, like for essential oils? Seems like it would be a cleaner end product with a still… I never have had the pure cbd oil. I bet it works great. I look forward to making my own at some point.

17 Likes

I bought an electric still off Amazon $165 make my own organic 80% or 160 proof alcohol in it, then use the alcohol to collect the trichs, and re collect the alcohol from the process. It will handle 4 liters of liquid at a time. I can recover about 80% of my alcohol which makes it cheaper to produce.

19 Likes

If I were you I would seriously consider the still over a rice cooker.

1 much bigger chance of an explosions with a rice cooker as you’re creating alcohol vapour, it really needs to be done outside with a rice cooker.

2 You will recoup the money on a still very quickly, reclaiming the alcohol back from the mixture.

3 It will be a hell of a lot quicker with a still and its thermally protected so it won’t scorch the oil.

I will find a link for the one I bought once I get on the computer.

16 Likes

I have to agree with shady. If you have the money get the still. If not use the rice cooker outdoors with a fan or a good breeze. There is an automatic temp control in the cooker so rice won’t burn. 2 settings. Follow Rick Simpson Oil directions. Stay next to the cooker at all times. I let it go too long once and ended up cooking off all fluid leaving me with a solid lump. I added more alcohol to “rehydrate” and cook it down again properly. It wasn’t good for it but it wasn’t ruined either. Or avoid this and get a still ha ha.

7 Likes

This is the one I have. It will be cheaper in the US

I was looking at those, I lose and inch in height at the end of the day, I used to be 6ft 6 now I am 6ft 3.5 at night, and 6ft 4.5 in the morning, after my spine has decompressed.

12 Likes

That little distiller seems pretty sweet. How do you collect the oil at the end?

3 Likes

I try to leave enough alcohol in the oil to keep it runny and pour it into a ceramic dish, and the a syringe to get the last few ml and finish gassing off the last little bit of alcohol by putting the ceramic dish in a saucepan of hot water for a couple of hours.

8 Likes

They are cheaper in the US = $109

Im on muscle relaxers at the moment, but did you say you use this to recover your alcohol? Its hard to tell from the pics, but it looks to me like you would loose a lot to evaporation. How well does it work for recovering the alcohol?

If its even 1/2 way efficient, it would be a good investment for me. A bottle of Ever Clear is around $60 where I am, so this could pay for itself pretty soon - maybe?

While looking at those water stills, I found a number of actual stills designed for alcohol that are similar in price.
Havent checked reviews or anything else, but Im seriously considering something like this to help offset the cost of Ever Clear.

6 Likes

TYVM for that tidbit. If u find time could u make a thread w a few pics n an overview of yer method? Might save me a pretty penny - everclear is the only high grade alki I can get n its $46 fer a 1.75L :frowning: All the ol shiners here died err they was shut down by the man.

Thinkin the same thing brother. :ok_hand:

6 Likes

The still will recover probably 99% of the alcohol you put in it. Where I loose my alcohol, is when it’s mixed with the weed and then filtered. I loose about 25% from what I can’t squeeze out of the weed and filters.

You can make your own alcohol with it as well, I can make about 4 liters of 160 proof or 80% alcohol for about $16. A turbo yeast and 10 kilos of sugar in a 27 liters of water, add yeast, put in flower room, in 7-10 days you have a 20% alcohol mash. Your plants get a big extra boost of C02 win win.

Run it through the still and extract your alcohol, discard the first shot glass full as it’s toxic. Your now making moonshine :wink:

15 Likes

Find A Shadey Spot to grow in the organics section, my thread is there, I did a documented run with pics a couple of months ago.

3 Likes

It starts at post 628

4 Likes

Sorry guys I did not mean to drop out. Kinda got covered up with life there last 3 days. @shadey that is not at all what I was thinking when you said still. It looks like a little coffee maker. I am going to have to go to your thread a shade spot to grow and read up. I’m still kinda confused. Thanks for the help. I am really wanting to figure this out…i can see some relief in my near future

3 Likes

@Shadey I just finished reading your tutorial in the other thread. It looks like a pretty simple process. Something I think this simple hillbilly can handle.
I thing I am wondering, what is an average dose you think someone with a high pain level would need? I don’t remember but I think you used 1 cc syringes to put it in and got 18+ out of right at a gp of @Sebring cbd strain. On average what I’m trying to see is how long could I expect that to last medicating 24/7?

3 Likes

There is a condenser and fan in the top of the unit that cools the vapour and by the time it gets through, its a liquid going into the jug. The jug does not get close enough to the unit I find, so I raise the unit an inch or 2 so the jug can get closer and add a plastic tube to the spout so it goes right into the jug. It is very good and will work exactly the same as the other still you have there, only with finer control as you can set your temps digitally, you will probably burn your oil in that big pot as its 3 gallons so your 2 litres of alcohol, which is what I use per 100g of weed, will be spread thinly over the bottom unless you plan on doing more than a pound of weed at a time.

3 Likes

I was actually thinking of doing more than that at one time if possible. My last harvest was right at 3000 grams of trimmed bud, or a little over 6 pounds. I was hoping to save some time by doing it all at once next time.

Good points about the digital heat control. I like that feature a lot. Plus, then I dont have to rig up a water supply to cool things.

Thanks for the help!!

4 Likes

@Shadey that is a lot longer than I ever dreamed and I am really starting to see this as doable. I don’t think most people realize that it is possible to get set up for a little over $100.00 to make your own medicine. And the process looks like it is simple enough. I’d say if you would be to make a short thread, just about your process sales for the still company would jump.
Another question I have would be about CBD and strains. I am surprised that most of the studies and information I find say that CBD is all basically the same, Is this right? I would think part of whole plant extractions would be that you get a melody of all the different things that are in it and that different strains would have a little different makeup and that a certain strain may work better than others for certain problems

3 Likes

Pro tip, use that still to get the last of the alcohol out of the weed. I use my Source Turbo. I put a coffee filter in the crucible and then the wet weed. Run it through a cycle and the weed will be dry while the alcohol collects. :+1::seedling:

I’ll never squeeze my weed again. :wink:

12 Likes

Cheers man, never thought of that.

I usually answer a couple of questions a month for Amazons customer queries, on whether it can be used for making RSO.

6 Likes

Just ordered my still…cant wait. Ready to make the niece and me some medicine

4 Likes