First Journal: GG4 S1 + Sweet Seeds/Fastbuds Autos (Bugbee Method)

GG4 S1, Banger glue (died), & some generic autos.

Brief:

• I’m mainly growing following Dr. Bruce Bugbee and GreenGenes videos along with info I gather from the internet and here.
  • its all duct-taped together.

Things I would change right off the bat, (but feel free to add more if you see anything).

• Peat: even though there is debate wether peat moss affects environment or not, I do believe its a non sustainable product and will be changing to coco next grow.
  • Lights: I like my Chilled Pucks, but next time i’ll go with Meiju or some other Chinese brand when I feel like expanding the grow.

GROW SPACE

Photos Space (2 x 4):

GG4 S1 (I know - its GG strains, but its still not the clone, so i don’t expect GG4, I’m not sure what to expect honestly.) & Banger Glue (gg4 ggstrains x headbanger by karma)

Four plants in 3 gal fabric pots.

Auto (&Veg) Space (2 x 2)

Generic Blue Dream & GSC by Fastbuds

Two plants in 3 gal pots + two Bruce Banner Auto (Sweet Seeds) in veg.

Lights: DIY cheap setup.

3 Chilled/Growmau5 Puck V2 (300W LM301b) - Photo Space

2 Chilled Puck V4 (200W LM301b) (plus constant bounced sunlight from a near window) - Auto space

Vent:

AC Infinity Raxial S6 (no carbon filter) for photos
iPower 175 cfm (no carbon filter) for autos

Medium:

45% PEAT
45% VERMICULITE
10% PERLITE

• Added
    Dolomitic Lime at 40g per 28.3L of medium and
    Gypsum at 10g per 28.3L of medium

Nutrient: I try to water when container is light

1.2 - 1.3 EC 20-10-20 Peter’s (6g per 10L tap - through out the grow)

Tap Water - 120ppm

• Added
    very light dose Armor SI 1 ml per 10 L - start 2 weeks after sow.
    50ml of fresh coconut water per Liter after transplanting.

PH & Conditions:

All of these are my target values - and what I have averaged. Obv, had some variance.

Temperature:

72 -80 Farenheit (22C - 26C)

Humidity:

45% - 60%

PH

(I test with strips - I don’t have a good PH meter)

• Water + Nutrient: low 6 (I have actually ph about 6.5)

CALENDAR - SUMMARY

I started this in August 6.

soaked seeds in plain water in shot glasses and placed in darkness for 18 hrs then sowed to solo cups. By the way, that very first day was my first fuck up, because after sowing them I realized the seeds left did not add up with the seeds sowed, meaning some other seeds got mixed in. which ones? i dunno.

from Aug 7 to 23

Ive had a couple more fuck up nights, including overwatering and mismanaged the environment (fixed it with a proper vent)- but the most important thing were:

1. an S1 and the banger glue had seed covering issues, i waited too long before helping them take it off (moistening the covering for 5 minutes and pulling gently witch tweezers) anyway, eventually the S1 recovered slowly, but the Banger died, and

2. I gave my pants a transfer shock and in the same day a fan fell over a gsc auto and ripped it in half, but it appears to be surviving.

Pictures to continue:

15 Likes

Sow to Seedling Stage

S1 and banger with coverings. (Banger eventually died after it took me too long to realize i had to help her remove it). S1 survived slowly.
fifth

Seedling stage (overwatered once when the cups felt light, but not light enough).

Also had some green algae and covered with lava rock as mulch.

8 Likes

Seedling Stage to Transplant

Before the transplant

Right After the Transplant
They didnt look that bad…

I also slashed an auto when a vent fell on top of it.

still seemd ok

But about a day after they all went into shock? or is this something else?

On the only positive side, that slashed auto (bottom left) seems to be surviving, even better than the others.

I also placed a thin layer of dry-ish medium on top to cover exposed roots from lights

8 Likes

Looks like you got this @the_bot. Your going to kick this.
:green_heart: :seedling:

2 Likes

Thank you! although the wilting after transplant is scaring me. a few hours after transplant they seemed fine, but then they started wilting and now it only gets worse.

1 Like

Did you water them in good? With ph’d water. Any chance your soil it too hot.

1 Like

I watered them to 20% to 30% runoff, and waited two hours after watering to transplant (i watered the new pot as well as the solo cup - although ppm were a bit different in each by like 30 or 50 ppm)

Ec wise it should be within the 1.2 range.

Ph… I have been getting about 6.5 (in strips) I just bought some ph down to see if I can get it to 6.0 without adding much more ppm, but I have to wait till they get light again right?

thanks for the reply!

1 Like

I water my cups the night before to just leaking. I use very moist soil to plant into. Next I water around the plant half way between plant and pot. Somebody here recommended it. I do that a couple days than a good water. I haven’t had any shock. Did you water the new pot to 20/30% run off too?

yup all to 20-30% runoff.

They are too wet and need to dry out mostly before next water.

3 Likes

They should bounce back you didn’t change the light they were used to or turn it up ? Bigger pots they might be too close to the lights ? Almost looks like nitrogen toxicity a bit.

1 Like

thanks! yeah theres some darkening, not sure how if im supposed to be within safe range (550 ppm)… but ill go lighter on nutes next time.

I placed them at 16 to 20 inches away. although i did turn up the lights a bit, but turned them back down recently.

2 Likes

If you place you hand at the top of the plants. If it isn’t to warm on your hand the should be good. Some leave it high right after than slowly lower it to that point.

2 Likes

frea-king-out

Against my judgement i stabbed them with a chopstick after being advised that my peat had compacted (which it had) to aerate. I tried to be careful but I don’t know how careful I had to be.

They are incredibly droopy (peat is still moist, the dry that you see on top was dry peat that I placed to cover some exposed roots) and don’t seem to grow in the last 12 hours.

6 Likes

They look fine, keep doing what you are doing and apply a little LITFA. :grin:

1 Like

Thank you! I’ve had some computer issues so I haven’t had time to update, but they seem to be slowly recovering.

They are coming along, they have been on a droop/small bounce cycle for two days now. I have avoided watering cus they were clearly overwatered and I’m not sure how the roots are doing but they do feel very light now.

By the way the milk crate challenge has made the price of crates go up on amazon… yeesus.

4 Likes

The autos on 3gal seem to have bounced, so I Started an LST and tied them down. I ripped little bit of some leaves :unamused:

The others are still in progress. I haven’t watered in almost 7 days. I think I’ll be watering tomorrow I start to see some yellowing and the pots are pretty light.

6 Likes

Watered the 1 gallons yesterday and one of the 3 gal today. The autos on the 3 gal seem to be doing fine. It’s the S1s on the 1 gal that keep droopy (they were super light when I watered them) I know they will bounce, but I’m not sure if I’m dealing with poor aeration (maybe my peat compacted too much?) or what, I’ve also read it can be low calcium (my tap water is 120ppm but I did have lime and gypsum in there).

4 Likes

They have been doing alright. Adjusted vpd, turned down lights a bit, adjusted ph to 6 and watered very slowly. I’m still having humidity issues at night messing with ideal vpd.

Anyway today I fimmed one, topped to 2nd node another and lst three.

11 Likes