Vertical farming @Ttystikk

Anyone wanna talk nutes? I run dry nutrient salts. Pennies per gallon of plant ready nutrient solution.

6 Likes

Youā€™re a no-spill kinda guy huh? Why pay to ship water around the globe. :thumbsup:

5 Likes

I think itā€™d be a great idea to share your mix and cost breakdowns. How using Jacks classic lead you to discover hydro-gardens and the difference between the two :wink:

2 Likes

Jacks is a national brand and it works, but I find it to be dirty and short on micros.

Hydro-gardens is a Colorado based brand that was very price competitive and had more micros and fewer impurities.

Standard veg mix;
2 parts 5-11-26 mix with micros
2 parts calcium nitrate
1 part mag sulfate, aka epsom salt

Standard bloom mix;
5 parts mix
4 parts cal-ni
2 parts mag sulfate
1 part MKP (monopotassium phosphate)

Dilute to desired EC. pH to taste. Done!

7 Likes

And how big of a batch do you mix at once?

Tap? RO? Filtered?

How stable is your PH over time?

1 Like

I used Green house seeds company :slight_smile: They worked nice but only at the beggining but from week 1 my pH graduallystarted to rise and it was almost impossible to keep it down. I always lowerd the water pH to 5.7 and watered the plants. And I checked the pH level on output. And it was bigger and bigger and I didnt like it. The plants grew ok but they werent ok as I would imagine. In the end there was ph around 7 in the coco and they were in really bad shape when they finished flowering. Does anybody has that kind of problem? Increasing pH in your medium? Do you check it?

So I decided to change the brand and now I use Advanced nutrients. Because on my second grow my pH was 7.5 after 6 weeks of grow! The nutrient water pH is Always 5.8 now and the outake 7.5 is now 6.1 :slight_smile: My plants look better than ever and I couldnt be more pleased with Advanced nutrients :slight_smile: The price is bigger thoā€¦

1 Like

iā€™ve been using maxibloom but i really liked my sample of MEGACROP and will most likely order more once my maxibloom runs out. itā€™s also very soluble so super easy to mix.

2 Likes

I make a batch as big as I can that will be used in a couple of weeks. Thatā€™s per the manufacturer; water bottles have emulsifiers and preservatives in them to extend shelf life.

I use my tap, but thatā€™s because the water here is already extremely soft. Use filtered water in places with hard water.

pH stability is based on storage duration, so keep it short, and the type of hydroponic system being used. RDWC will fluctuate due to plants uptaking nutes and releasing exudates. DTW systems will not.

4 Likes

That megacrop looks like a nice nutrient. Whatā€™s the final cost per gallon of prepared nutrient solution? Iā€™m in the 3Ā¢/gallon range.

2 Likes

Still sorting things out here. The secret to big trees is very simple; a killer veg. Simple doesnā€™t mean easy! Iā€™m having to rethink my whole veg system to provide the right environment for the girls to get big and fill out so that once they hit the bloom room theyā€™re ready to make the most of it.

6 Likes

Cool idea, I did not realize you could pull such weight off of vertical growsā€¦ Here is a link to a commercial vertical grow and rack manufacturer vid that is kind of cool.

3 Likes

i like the idea of vertical fogponics - this guys hitting 30lb a month in 1700 sq feet (including the veg, flowering and drying rooms) with only 200 amps. i think he breaks down the size and maybe electrical usage of each section

5 Likes

His plant count numbers have to be off the scale thoughā€¦

1 Like

yes i think itā€™s a legal commercial operation in the states. i think some places regulate by square footage and not plant count, but i am not sure. i think thatā€™s a better system. iā€™d much prefer if canada legislated 16sqf of canopy or something rather than 4 plants, because what if someone likes or needs variety for treating different conditions or symptoms. iā€™d rather grow 20 different strains sea of green style then be forced to only have 4 plants. i guess cubic feet of canopy would be necessary

5 Likes

So many lights, why so less plants? You just use 1/3 of ā€œwattsā€ possible brother :wink:

2 Likes

Legal plant counts, brother! Iā€™m trying to see how much I can do with a minimum number of attendees.

Here in Colorado one person can have 6 plants, a residence can have up to 12 with no documentation. Plant size is no issue, neither is amount of bud on hand.

5 Likes

Keep testing, how much watts are you using for lights?

1 Like

So grow Treeeees instead :wink:

Be well, keep up the good work.

2 Likes

Try topping and giving more light from above, you can grow trees in 30gl containers.

1 Like

he practices vertical farming, with this style heā€™s able to get very large yields from a single plant in a small area and without having the inconvenience of managing a huge scrog. it is easier to get larger surface area illuminated growing up then spreading out

4 Likes