Vertical farming @Ttystikk

I used a nutrient doser for a few years and found it good. When it died, I looked to replace it and found the prices had gone through the roof. Knowing a bit about electronics, I decided making one would not be too hard. Now it is 18 months later and I have a box which can store a years worth of data, has a 7 inch touchscreen with which it can show graphs etc to the user. It monitors tank temperature, air temperature, RH%, PH, EC and currently can output 8 x 12v signals to operate relays or low power devices. Sensors are on a serial bus so the possible number of them is more than you could need, same with the pumps. Currently I use serially addressable pumps accurate to 0.5ml or 1% (whichever is larger) which can dose normally, or dose over time (e.g. 20ml over 10 minutes) or dose constantly (e.g. 5ml every 10 minutes).

As the sensors and pumps are on a serial bus, you can have up to something like 112 devices on the bus, with multiplexing you can have closer to 1000. That would take some more inventive coding but the electronics is totally possible.

The sensors are lab grade and very accurate. Here is a photo of the PH graph when the doser is controlling the nutrient solution for a while, if you note. 5.8 is at the bottom of the graph, and 5.9 is at the topā€¦

The jaggies on the line are where the doser is adding PH upā€¦

As you can see, it is capable of keeping the PH (and also other readings) to a much smaller range than most dosers can even measure. I will be calling it The MicroDoser, of course :wink:

It will currently auto adjust dosing to match your desired accuracy range, I want it to notice when it is not dosing enough and increase dosing automatically also. If given access to a drain+fill facility, it can reduce your EC by itself and make sure your nutrient solution never goes out of the ranges you set.

It will monitor and adjust your air temp, RH%, water temp, EC, and PH all in one box, no need to connect to a PC.

There are options for adding DO and CO2 sensors so it could manage those also. Even if by just doing a tank refresh if Do is too low. With more outputs, it could regulate anything it can have a sensor for. The plan is to give it a drag and drop programming interface so you can fully customise it to your purposes. Even if you wanted to look after your fish with it, hehe. AFAIK it will be the only doser that could monitor and check both your fish and your plants in an aquaponic system and take care of bothā€¦

Currently I use VNC to connect to it but the plan is to make an app for your phone which can show graphs and let you control all features from anywhere on the planet with internet.

I hope to bring it in at a price point slightly less than the current offering from Autogrow systems, the Intellidose (which has far fewer features, a crappy LCD screen and needs to be connected to a PC to program) which AFAIK is the current best offering for smaller growers (not guys in warehouses or greenhouses).

As I have a development team of just one person, things slow down when life happens. I hope to have more time and cash to devote to it this year.

10 Likes

The unit sounds amazing- hope do I get one?

1 Like

Seconded, this thing looks awesome. Whatā€™s the price tag on something like this @MicroDoser ?

1 Like

not sure but i found a site with the igrow mini doser on sale for $684 from $799ā€¦ not sure if thatā€™s the same model he was referring to when said wanted to beat their price point

1 Like

The one I had which eventually died was the intellidose by autogrow systems. Closer to $2000 than those numbers.

I would not hold your breath though, there is much work yet to be done. Currently working on making the serial bus more robust. I can see there being a fairly long software development stageā€¦

3 Likes

If you look through this thread, youā€™ll quickly discover that I do indoor Agriculture systems research. Vertical growing, water cooled LED, RDWC with no active air, etc.

Iā€™m very interested in being involved in the development and testing of your device.

6 Likes

That is good to know. What country are you in? I will be free to do more development in the next year than I was in the last one so things should speed up. I pretty much had to build something that just worked in order to afford something that worked reliably, so I could afford etc etc etc

Now it seems I am at the end of that and I should be able to afford two full units, one to have in operation, the other as a testbed for new ideas, then they can be swapped regularly to allow development, coding, and limited testing which should speed things up.

I have a device that works reliably with the equipment I have and produces good results but it will need a lot more making robust and reliable before I would consider putting it into an unknown environment and trusting it will be fine. I will be ordering the parts for the higher voltage serial bus today and figuring them out and fitting them next week. Hopefully, this will allow longer cable lengths of up to 20m, currently I am limited to about 2m. I will be redesigning it to have a master control and data logging box, with satellite units each with their own processor in which should simplify reducing interference. The master control circuitry is very stable, and splitting off the relays and sensors would make it easier to protect them from EM interference.

I will be posting any development news here on overgrow of course.

4 Likes

Nice grow. I wonder how this would perform on a micro scaleā€¦ 30-50w. Any idea how to set this up in a 5 gal bucket or so @Mr.Sparkle

1 Like

Thatā€™s small enough that any orientation is really unnecessary. Just train the plant to for the space.

Iā€™m in the USA, Colorado. Land of legal weed!

Iā€™m developing equipment and I just had a long chat with a close friend whoā€™s a web developer. Heā€™s building a software application to monitor and log oneā€™s grow from seed to harvest. At my urging, he wants to integrate environmental controls as well. This strikes me as highly compatible with the system youā€™re developing, as youā€™re working with the hardware and electronics controls for them.

2 Likes

I am also building a

as well as the hardware.

Lol I guess itā€™s a popular idea. Iā€™m still willing to test the system and whatever software you like.

1 Like

I would be willing to test yours also. Sounds like you are further ahead than me.

1 Like

Yesterday was my birthday! Yay me.

12 Likes

Happy birthday for yesterday brother

1 Like

Happy belated man. You celebrate it?

1 Like

Happy Birthday :gift::man_juggling::balloon::tada:

1 Like

Happy birthdayā€¦ Plus 20

1 Like

Thanks everyone! I celebrated with friends over the weekend. They run a brewery and we did a potluck for May babies- turns out thereā€™s a lot of us! A great time was had, couldnā€™t ask for a better party.

5 Likes

Copied from another thread because Iā€™m describing my system here;

I run an RDWC system. Think of an Undercurrent, only the recirculating pump is in the control bucket (ā€˜epicenterā€™) and it feeds a manifold that delivers water directly to an elbow fitting in the lid of each tubsite. That water drop is the waterfall.

Water then runs via gravity back to the control bucket through lines near the bottom of each tubsite. The control bucket also has the coil for chilling the water.

I did it this way after noticing that in a standard Undercurrent system, the best oxygenated bucket was the only one they didnā€™t want you putting plants in!

Having a waterfall in the lid means that there is more churning and movement in the bucket for the roots. It automatically oxygenates. It breaks surface tension, preventing any surface scum from forming. The splash wets the bucket so the plant gets watered no matter what the water level is, making water level much less of a factor.

My chiller has been down for a month and my plants are healthy. Apparently this approach even eliminates the need for chilled water, which to me is an amazing benefit!

6 Likes