Weed expiration date?

Assuming proper storage, does weed ever lose quality? 5 years? 10 years?
Or is the shelf life indefinite?

Anyone ever popped a 10 year old jar?

5 Likes

Jars out of sunlight, I would think indefinitely. . . Plastic bagged and stuffed in all of the sidepanels of a van for 10+ years. . .no it will turn to shit, That i know lol

11 Likes

I once drank a beer I found in an attic, so I really shouldn’t be one to talk, but ew

8 Likes

Lol i didnt smoke it to know it was shit, the guy who owned the van had just drove thru the borderpatrol checkpoints in new mexico, and had the drug dog go around the van. . .he got to me and we were going to replace all the “blown” speakers. . .removed the sidepanel and 2 pounds of weed fell out, total of 10 pounds in all of the sidepanels lol, and no speakers at all, lol guy said he had bought it from another guy after it sat in a field for about 10years, hahaha. . . If the dogs couldn’t smell it anymore and it turned to dust when touched, you can best bet there isn’t anything but old plant matter left

6 Likes

Cannabis will retain roughly 90% of its efficacy after 2 years in jars properly stored.

8 Likes

In my experience, I find it loses flavour before it loses potency.

These days for long-term storage, I would turn it into an extract and freeze it.

5 Likes

I’ve popped jars that were 8 or so months stored in sealed containers out of light with boveda packs inside. The bud was already showing signs of oxidation and wasn’t as good as when I purchased it. I’m wondering if putting a few of those oxygen absorb packs would make a difference in how long it can sit.

I’ve heard of people having pretty good success with sealing mason jars with a vacuum sealer and keeping them in a cool dark place. (1+ years)

Oxygen, UV light and too high a temp all contribute to degrading your end product so keeping them out of the danger zone will definitely help slow the degradation of thc and terpenes for a longer shelf life.

5 Likes

There is a paper on hash vs dab half-lives over a period of like 4 years, tho I’m not sure if it includes raw buds. The half-lives in a dark and airtight container is pretty significant but sunlight and air brings it down to 90 and 30 days respectively iirc. I’ll see if I can’t find it again.

Idk I can’t find it. Google scholar is your friend and when you get stuck behind the paywall look up sci-hub DOT TW or something like that. Let us know the name of the article when you find it

2 Likes

Hola Gang

I had jar that were 7-8 yrs old

the product is still very potent

however taste change alot and

no more clorophile so its really

smooth to the taste.

Bare

5 Likes

I was really hoping weed in cellar conditions would continue to improve indefinitely.
Sounds like that isn’t necessarily the case.
I really like variety, and I really like growing, but I only smoke 6-10 ounces a year. I guess I will be trying for small plants now!

I should look for a place to donate the surplus to medical patients, though I wonder if they even need more with the tremendous glut of homegrown weed here in Portland!

5 Likes

Your best bet then would be to make it into hash, then press and store that. The outer layer will tend to oxidize first forming a protective layer. Old school hash makers would age the cannabis before separating the resin heads. Check out Frency Cannoli for some entertaining hash videos and old school techniques.

6 Likes

Or give it away to friends and family

4 Likes

Thanks! There is only so much hash I need, but it would be fun to try out a bunch of techniques

1 Like

Very difficult when everyone I know is growing or only smokes a couple grams yearly.

If I give it away to people because it is better than their premature outdoor weed, is that insulting?

3 Likes

Not if they like it! lol

2 Likes

I have a few grams each of some bags from 2006-2010, stored in a mason jar, in the dark, at a fairly constant room temperature. To the best of my knowledge (aka a couple of months ago), all are still very effective and more-or-less true to their original highs. Raw potency is a little harder to judge, as I’m a lightweight, anyway.

6 Likes

Their pain from such an insult should subside fairly quickly :smile:

Stick that excess in an air tight, cool dark place. Grow quality, not quantity.

6 Likes

Long term stability of cannabis resin and cannabis extracts
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/00450610903258144

4 Likes

Back in late 70’s knew a guy that grew it under skylights in his attic (had a row with one real one into house and rest into attic) and used to press and freeze-dry it and I’d swear that stuff made me hallucinate (like yellow highlights on everything).

Never tried it myself but seems may last long time as can’t get any dryer but don’t know.

Myself, I like to give it away and use buds for butter when I have too much. I need to learn how to make edibles (researched some just haven’t got around to it) but man I can eat a lot! I’d even eat the hash if I had a bunch…lol!

edit: have to be careful eating hash as can astral project and if not familiar with, “out-of-the-body travel”, then might want to avoid eating too much.

4 Likes

saw this: Weed expiration date? and LOL :laughing:

“When it’s gone…”

:joy:

:evergreen_tree:

8 Likes