Weird white flaky stuff on my rosin

Anybody ever seen anything like this before?

This is on some rosin that was pressed a couple weeks ago and been kept in the fridge since then. It’s in all four containers. It just flicks right off, so I’m fairly certain it isn’t rosin-related, just because it doesn’t stick to my hand or anything, the way even the tiniest bit of rosin does. I’m thinking it might have something to do with the silicon containers that the rosin is in? Definitely not something that should be vaped, right?

2 Likes

Have you tried to squash/rub it between your fingers? Id like to believe thats some form of lipid/wax.

Rosin/other concentrates can separate over time.

3 Likes

I mean, I had a chunk in between my fingers, but only long enough to throw it in the sink. I didn’t roll it around or anything, but I will now. Thanks. It didn’t feel waxy, it felt more like plastic or something. Hard.

2 Likes

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but what you described above is not lipids or fats from cannabis, sounds more like paraffine wax.

What sort of paper are you using in your press?

Can you dissolve the substance in warm ISO?

Lipids and fats from cannabis will mostly dissolve in warm iso, foreign waxes like paraffine from using cheap waxed papers will not. Not all food-grade parchments can take the combination of pressure and heat and will leach waxes into your rosin. If it doesn’t dissolve I would NOT be smoking that.

I would also never store more than a day or two worth of dabs in silicone containers, terpenes are solvents and eat away at the containers. Once this process starts the container will start to absorb terps/liquids in the rosin rendering it less potent and likely far more contaminated as the liquified silicone will recombine with rosin removed from this vessel.

7 Likes

Thanks. Yeah, it doesn’t seem like something I wanna be inhaling. And it doesn’t look like lipids/fats to me. It definitely seems like something, uh, not natural.

I used those Raw parchment papers, btw. First time I’ve used them. I had been using the parchment paper that came with my Dulytek press, which I liked more. They never tore when I’d scrape the rosin off; the Raw ones tear pretty easily. I dunno if that’s an indicator of what you’re describing above, but I don’t like it haha.

What’s ISO?

3 Likes

Isopropyl alcohol, commonly known as rubbing alcohol, used to disinfect cuts and as a cleaning solvent.

4 Likes

I am not sure if you meant the ones listed below but if so you don’t want to smoke that shit… This “RAW” brand parchment is silicone impregnated, far from RAW and is designed for storage purposes only - not for pressing… What you are likely seeing is liquified then solidified silicone, as listed in the description it is an additive to the parchment - if this is what you meant.

Here is what lipids and fats look like dissolving in ISO (isopropyl alchol) - not my pic but a very familiar sight.

Chalk it up to learning and get yourself some better paper before next time. Reynolds brand parchment is typically something that is readily available and as long as you are pressing at reasonable pressures and temps you won’t see anything like that in your rosin.

Your pic says a thousand words and you likely just saved at least a few folks from making the same mistakes. Thanks for sharing this for educational purposes :+1:

4 Likes

All parchment paper is silicone coated. Silicone is good up to around 450°F, not likely that hot unless, perhaps, using a hair straightener.

5 Likes

From what I understand this isn’t always the case. I use Renoylds brand paper (made in France, packaged in the USA) it uses a parchmentizing process employing cellulose, acids etc.

-A different parchment paper suppliers website quote:

“During the parchmentizing process, the fibrous structure of the paper gets disappeared and rather gelatinous mass is formed while observing under the microscope. The spaces in fibres of the base paper get filled with its own dissolved fibres. Thus this almost blocks the spacing in the fibres of the base paper. This makes the base paper impenetrable by water or oil. Due to the process of the parchment sling, the base water attains the property of high wet strength, very high grease resistance, resistance to water penetration, low air permeability and high chemical purity. Therefore it is 100 Percent safe for direct food contact.”

The fear for me isn’t necessarily that silicone isn’t heat resistant upto 450F but the combination of heat and pressure can be more than enough to degrade most heat-resistant materials, including any kind of thinly coated film.

4 Likes

Yep, that’s exactly what I used. And judging from the results, I won’t be using those again. Like I said, I had no issues with the Dulytek paper that I used for my first round of pressing, like seven months ago. I kept that rosin in the fridge for months and never saw anything like that white plastic-y stuff on it.

That’s kind of why I posted this, but also I just didn’t know what the fuck it was haha. However, as soon as I started flaking it off, I was like,”This is not something I should inhale.”

I’m relatively new to pressing; this is only my second “real” round. I honestly am just doing this for fun. And to get something out of all the trim that usually gets frozen and that I say I’m gonna make hash out of but never do.

Sucks that I wasted like eighty grams of trim, but whatever. Like you said: learning experience. I’ll buy some different parchment soon.

Thanks for your help, dude. Really appreciate it.

2 Likes

I do think my plate temps are inaccurate, but not quite “240 degrees off” inaccurate.

I wonder if I might just be pressing a little too hard. Like maybe I should let up on the press a little bit.

Either way, like I mentioned in the above post, I didn’t notice any white, flaky weird shit when I pressed with different parchment. I’m thinking it has something tot do with that Raw parchment paper.

Which is making me re-think my use of their rolling papers. Maybe those papers are gnarly, too? I dunno.

1 Like