Welcome to Meesh's Garden

Got 1 pepper off this Shishito plant last year. Thought it was dead. Saw a few peppers a few days back. When I went to harvest them, imagine my surprise…

6 Likes

One will probably be a birdhouse and one some sort of bowl or vase. Winter projects. There are still quite a few out there that are still green on the trellis. Probably give them to my crafty friends

3 Likes

Cool beans with the peppers. Plants have a way of doing things only when they’re ready to. It’s fun to be able to see how well things go when you leave them alone, ha.

2 Likes

It’s weird how plants will become perennials here and winter over. Def love Southern California!

2 Likes

Some of my seeds have started sprouting. All 3 stock and 2 marigolds so far. The Botafumeiros is the last plant in one of my new planters. I’m already planning what I want to grow in there. Me thinks, I’ll wall trellis it a bit. Grow my sweet pea flowers in it, but where the Kushage was. On the corner, closest to the house and my back gate. That way, I can smell them more, instead of all the way in the back yard. Also, ordered some different colored black-eyed susan vine seeds. Those will do great in the other planter in the back, once the Diesels are harvested. I think it will be a nice touch to have the sweet pea assault on your senses right as you enter the yard then move down the pathway towards the rest of the garden. Plus, all of my delicious bulbs will be flowering at the same time in Spring. It’s gonna look bad ass!

It’s felt a lot nicer again in my garden with less cannabis plants. It’s easier to move around. lol Flowering cannabis is also stressful and I have a garden so I can bliss out, not freak out. :laughing: Plus, once again I am ready for more flowers in my life. I have a lot of cleanup to do in the fall and winter. Actually looking forward to it. Oddly enough as it means tons of digging. My shoulder loves that.

The pansy in one of the new container plant croaked. Everything else is fine. Either I damaged the roots while planting or the galvanized metal got too hot and the roots got sizzled. Shouldn’t have. They are well watered and in Promix, it stays cool.

7 Likes

My gardener came today and was able to weed whack the path in my garden again, without all the monster plants attacking and the nets. It looked so spacious again. Once the DBHP comes out, even more so. Harvesting now and working a lot since I go to Kauai in 2 weeks. Ready to get back to flower business. Saw a phlox seedling breaking through my starters…

4 Likes

6 Likes

I think ya should make a birdhouse bong ! Lol Hell people make pipes out of apples right?

5 Likes

Haha! Hmmmm… well that’s a novel idea. Maybe with one of my smaller ones. I actually have one drying that would be perfect size

3 Likes

Put together this gorgeous arrangement for the house. I need to find this oriental lily. The colors are superb

9 Likes

I have had my eye on that lilly too…its called Viva la Vida and have yet to find a place that will ship them to me as most send them in the fall - usually by then we have 3-4’ of snow though i’ll look again around April. I think they’ll be a gorgeous contrast with the red and orange lily against my yellow house :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

You could overwinter the bulbs and plant them in spring. They ship them dry. The pics don’t do them justice! The entire house reeks of them and I only bought 3 stems. It’s magnificent! Of course I rid them of their pollen sacs as soon as they open for my animals safety. :cat::dog::relaxed:

I think they would look magnificent by your yellow house! :wink:

3 Likes

Right though I don’t have it in me to argue the finer points of continental vs contiguous states, planting times etc like I normally would plus may have better luck finding some without that bs in the spring

Sounds like it

They so would :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Went a bit crazy on a Park Seed sale

I love plant mail!

13 Likes

Most of the seeds I started have sprouted except the coleus. I recall they seem to take forever and they are always so small I usually drown them anyway. So far, 2 of 3 marigolds (don’t think 3rd will come up), all 3 stock, all 3 snapdragons and 1 of 3 annual phlox so far. Not bad for fall temps!

I’m trying to remember when I planted my sweet peas last year. Either December or January. Oh well, guess Farmers almanac will email me. They are my favorites! I will absolutely grow them every year. They kept my house smelling great all winter and spring!

4 Likes

I’m feeling more hopeful for the return of all my bleeding hearts that died off. Really thought they didn’t like my climate, read recently that my climate most likely causes them to be ephemeral. Meaning, the roots live and the plants come back later. :slight_smile: Fingers crossed! I love those damn shade plants!

6 Likes

Hey @Meesh, try one of these Seed starter kits from Burpee.. This one is higher but they go for 19.99 on Amazon from some sellers.

I think @Jetdro mentioned them in another forum and it has saved me. I was screwing up damn near every seed I tried sprouting and the weeks following sprouting they seemed to suffer. (driver’s error).

I got to where I was so impatient I would start digging around looking for them… lol I was drowning them or drying them out before I noticed and it was driving me crazy.

Now I’m back to 100% success rate and the sprouts come out with better roots, too. It’s an all coco mix and it’s a self wicking system, too. So, you can set it and forget it and they will sprout. I stopped soaking newer seeds. I think it will wick the seedlings the water for up to ten days. Mine are sprouting in about 4-5 days with no soak and they have really bad ass roots now. all my plants show the difference, too. They are growing stronger and better from the start. I can’t believe the difference it made.

The fact that I “trust it” now makes me stay away from digging and looking for my seed. I haven’t tried it on flowers but I bet it would ease your mind after you see how dependable it is. It supplies just the right amount of moisture to the seedling to make the best environment for sprouting. I has a small dome for it too. It doesn’t fit real good, but it doesn’t matter. peace

4 Likes

I have totally thought about one of those! Was gonna have Dad hook up that grow light I found in my garage so I can sprout my flowers indoors! May do that in the winter for all my spring starters. Especially now that it’s tried and true

2 Likes

Well, today is my favorite holiday! Happy Halloween to everybody! My man and I are gonna dress up later and pass out candy to the kiddies. I have work to do, but I doubt much will get done as I want to play in my garden a bit today. Bleach my 2 dry birdhouse gourds and start some of my new seeds. It’s too late in the year for some of them, but that’s never stopped me from trying. lol Here, you just never know what will sprout in the fall. Def the pansies and dusty miller should. I’m pushing it with the angelonias and nemesia, but 'm gonna try anyway. lol

4 Likes

So as the gourds dry mold forms on their outer skin so you have to slough it off. It comes off pretty easily one you soak them in bleach, except the damn things float. It’s like trying to dunk a beach ball. I started with the scrubbing side of a sponge which was easy enough but switched to the steel wool in the middle… even easier

I’ll do one more bleach soak before I cut into them. I want to plan my next move with them first and make sure I have the proper tools so I don’t ruin them. One will probably be a snack bowl and one a birdhouse or possibly a bird feeder.

9 Likes