🎧 What Are You Listening To? (Part 4)

Dive bomber is the bomb!

1 Like

“yeah”

4 Likes
2 Likes

All instrumentals and all, except “Swingmatism,” released during prohibition. Rags and more.

5 Likes
1 Like
1 Like
1 Like
2 Likes

this song just popped up on my spotify playlist, i favorited it cause of the awesome chorus

(6) The Connells - '74-'75 (Official Audio) - YouTube

1 Like
1 Like

Went down a crust/gutter punk folk band rabbit hole several years ago and lucked upon Jesse Stewart, the cold beer guy. He’s written several good tunes, Trailer Park Boys had him at some of their shows. Went to listen to some tonight and saw in the comments that he’s fuckin dead. I always hoped he’d find a happy ending. Anyhow, here are a few I like. The first is my favorite. Give him a listen.

There’s a thousand dreary moments I would love to have again.

Below the surface is my style, I smoke seaweed and get real high.

Who’s gonna rip me off when you’re gone?

2 Likes

Is everyone here familiar with the Internet Archives live music collection? It is all free. Quality can vary. These are what are known in music trading circles as RoIOs (Recordings of Independent Origin). Nothing has ever been commercially released by anyone under any circumstances in any way, shape or form. This is the “pure” stuff. Un-stepped on. It’s an amazing place. Needless to say, it’s all completely legal.

https://archive.org/details/etree?tab=collection?utm_source=join1440&utm_placement=newsletter

This is the page that comes up on my desktop when I hit the link. While it’s true that there are more Grateful Dead and GD associated recordings than any one single other entity, there are a lot of bands completely unrelated to the GD. Really a lot. You could be surprised! Plenty of bands that you likely know their music, at least if you’re, I don’t know, maybe 40. If you don’t know IA, I encourage you to explore it.

5 Likes
1 Like
2 Likes
2 Likes

I make live concert audio recordings as a hobby. When an artist gives their permission, I can upload my recording to the Live Music Archive where anyone can stream (or download) it for free. I have a couple hundred recordings listed HERE.

Lots of funk, bluegrass, and jambands. My most streamed recording is a solo performance by Jake Shimabukuro, one of the world’s foremost ukulele players (over 100,000 listens!).

Quality can definitely vary. Even with high end microphones your location in the venue, the sound system, the audio engineer, the crowd, even the weather can make or break a recording.

I like the image @mota posted showing the most popular bands on the Archive. I have recorded a number of them including Dead & Co., Billy Strings, Phil Lesh and Friends, Umphrey’s McGee, Goose, moe., String Cheese Incident, Tedeschi Trucks Band, Yonder Mountain String Band, Little Feat, and The Radiators. I haven’t recorded anything since April but I may hit a festival next weekend if the forecast is decent…

Here is a video someone shot at the Bear Creek festival at the Spirit of Suwanee Music Park (one of the best festival locations in the world) near Live Oak, Florida. It is a one-off performance featuring Chris Robinson of the Black Crowes on vocals, backed by Soulive (a jazzy, funky group), augmented by a horn section, backing vocals, and some special guests. The videographer synced his video with my audio recording. This was the best show I saw in 2014…

3 Likes
8 Likes