2 Likes
1 Like
2 Likes
1 Like
4 Likes
1 Like
2 Likes
4 Likes

I took a music appreciation class from Johnny, Shuggie’s dad, in about 2000. It was an academic class through Laney College. Each week, Johnny had a friend come in and play for half an hour or so at the end of the class. One week, Shuggie came in and played. It was awesome, as were all of the performances!

7 Likes

What a good class.

It was awesome, getting to talk to Johnny about some of my musical idols that he knew, sometimes quite well, like Wynonie Harris, Big Joe Turner. The performances I most clearly recall were from Johnny himself, Sugar Pie DeSanto, and Little Milton. Milton was over the top amazing, and he played a long time! The class was held at Ashkenaz on San Pablo in Bekeley.

6 Likes
2 Likes

yes yes yes yes …

5 Likes

Was just listening to a drum n bass track I produced. Stream Murder Sound by Phobic Dubz | Listen online for free on SoundCloud

I’ve been considering posting this for a while now. @Calyxander’s post above sealed the deal. As you can see, I’ve also posted the entire liner notes for those interested and because I think they’re well written and joyful.

I encourage you to at least listen to the Alligator Story. It’s less than a minute long and it is fucking hysterical! I’m fairly confident you will laugh out loud and it may make your water undrinkable! WTFH?!?!

Just look at the joy and love beaming out from Pop’s eyes!

4 Likes