What caused stems to

Salutations,

At 1st i thought the question was about what caused the stems part below cotyledons to grow this tall…

Anyone else finds that’s too high?

Good day, have fun!! :peace:

1 Like

I’ve always wondered why it gets this skin, and why it sheds it, anyone know?

To google I go!

Hey @Worcestershire_Farms , it’s just the stems getting fatter and shedding some bark bud… perfectly normal. Hope this helps…
Gaz

1 Like

I am not a botanist, but it seems the appearance of this dying skin coincides with the death of the cotyledon. Hmmm? :bulb:

3 Likes

Cotyledons die when plants need feeding, though I’m also no botanist lol… just what I’ve experienced in my perpetual growing …
Gaz

1 Like

They naturally die as the plant develops. I believe this skin was the connection between the cotyledon and the forming root system. Unable to find anything that talks about it.

I have a buddy who went to college for agro-business and botany. I’ll get back on this one.

Little more digging, and we are finding some goodies.

http://www.internationalhempassociation.org/jiha/jiha5201.html

Technically speaking, we appear to be witnessing the withering of the hypocotyl. Huh?

3 Likes

That makes sense, seeing as it only occurs along the stem between the cotyledons and the root line. Google didn’t yield me anything of use, but I bet there’s a name for the skin that would give an instant answer.
If everything is in order though, the cotyledons stay green and intact, as the most hilarious evidence that there were no significant deficiencies.

2 Likes

I had four years of ag, a course in landscaping, surveying and soil sampling but am lost here :slight_smile:
Too many years ago.

1 Like

They weren’t too bad but, I put them in the 1gal pots. I also moved them to the CMH 315 4k. I think I must have pushed them. Went into tent today and there was water (condensation) on the whole floor. The humidity jumped form 30 to 50. They heat jumped 10/15 degrees even though I turned OFF light.

2 Likes

This time of year the cold damp air will do that as it comes in the room. I wipe up puddles under my intake venting sometimes. When i rerig my ventilation i am going to run it down hill to the outside so it drips outside mostly. There is always something to improve it seems. :grin:

2 Likes

Do you have a dehumidifier. It will help.

I have a dehumidifier and it was running 30/35% today jumped to 55/60 and temp from low 70 to high 80’s. I was wondering if the drastic Weather change here. Or if there wasn’t roots enough for the transplant… Also not sure of height of new lights. Just might I did to too much to them.

Keep lights further away until the plants get used to them, then closer. Start beyond 24 inches away if possible.

Humidity in a tent is often the result of introducing cold air in a warm tent with plants breathing. The cold settles near the floor, the humidity condenses there. Keep the Dehumidifier running and increase ventilation any way possible. The slight cupping of otherwise green leaves is likely a Phosphorous deficiency, as indicated on your parallel thread. The soil will lock the nutrients from the plant if the pH wanders to far above or below the 5.5 -6.5 range. Often with soil, the pH will wander around as nutrients are absorbed by the plant. Keep correcting. Lemon juice will work a bit, if added to the water.

The spots could be a number of things. Let’s get the plants healthy and leave those behind us, as it were.

99%

1 Like

@99 I didn’t realize I was running a parallel thread until I was answering a question and the thread disappeared and it ask me which to respond to. I’ll get it down someday.

2 Likes

This alone should help.

It is a good idea to get in the habit of photographing the root ball between re-potting. This allows you to examine them without stressing the plant more than necessary.

1 Like

coco pots are my favourite, their advantage is you can plant the whole thing :smiley:

3 Likes