What is the best, most practical extraction method for the home grower?

Fresh frozen pressed into rosin FTW! Now I just need a freeze dryer!

4 Likes

Bubble Hash is great no doubt. Anyone who knows me knows I was all about that full melt for a good couple years but itā€™s not nearly as practical or quick as dry sift. Also the best bubble is a half-step below the best dry sift in my opinion.

Bubble is an afternoon/evening event. Itā€™s not quick or easy and there are lots of tools involved which can make it very costly and timely. It also takes several days to dry it out properly and there is lots of opportunity for error in the drying/separation process.

Drysift takes minimal tools, can be done just a couple dabs worth at a time if desired and there is no waiting time or messing with ice and stuff and no risk of microbial growth or contamination, however it does require a greater attention to detail and level of craftsmanship.

my 2cents

14 Likes

100% DO NOT AGREEā€¦neither does Bubble Manā€¦lol!!!

1 Like

Well that just means you never had 99.9% pure heads drysift. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Also pretty sure Bubbleman agrees that 99.9% headies is the bees knees, thatā€™s where I learned about it afterall. Iā€™d wager if he could charge as much for dry screens as he does for Bubblebags heā€™d absolutely say itā€™s better.

10 Likes

Iā€™m investing in one of those this year!

1 Like

I like my bubble hash , cordless drill ,paint stir stick,2 five gallon pails 3 of a 5 bubble bag kit ,ice and a container to dry the hash in . I sometimes use a cardboard box also .quick and simple .

3 Likes

@paintedfire420, what dry-sift screen are you using? that is a tasty looking image.

2 Likes

I have 110 lpi and 195 lpi. just the barebones for static tech. :thumbsup:

3 Likes

How exactly does this static thing work? I would expect hairs n all to be attracted. Or is that how it works? Plant material left after screening is picked up with a static charged balloon and leaves behind the trichs?

2 Likes

Bingo but itā€™s the opposite. The heads are picked up by the balloon and contaminant is left behind.

Itā€™s a super simple method, the guy in the video doesnā€™t even speak lol but you can see whatā€™s going on. And there are fun twists on it like using a nitrile glove or balloon instead of parchment. And Iā€™m sure many other minor technique adjustments

9 Likes

When you dry sieve, you do the removal AND the sieving all in one ACTION. The material is ground against the screen, and at same time it is sieved.

Water extraction separates those two actions, WHY it is CLEANER.

When we water extract we break heads free firstā€¦then do a separate and MUCH MUCH MUCH more efficient and cleaner sieve through the bags, using blasting water to remove contaminantā€™s and do the actual sieve.

Watch a ā€œFrenchyā€ video, then you shall see the difference. I have 3 screens, never use anymore.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s fair Jet. In the end both full melt bubble and full melt drysift are dabomb.com. Even though I think drysift is a tiny step above bubble but I will argue for practicality reasons drysift is the winner. Hear me out.

2 screens, 20-30 minutes, a glove or piece of parchment and a makeup brush is all you need. Boom you got a bunch of full melt dabs for the evening.

vs

A few hours, Buckets, water, ice, bubblebags, machine(optional), spoons, blotter sheets, towels, microplane or sieves, parchment for drying + several days waiting time drying where there is lots of room for error for it to be done to the highest standard. Freeze dryer is truly needed for that. All of that is expensive, timely and cumbersome imo. Ice costs add up if youā€™re doing more than one run, and itā€™s timely to make if you make it yourself.

for practicality which is the main point in question I think itā€™s a clear winner.

10 Likes

Ive have just been doing a simple alcohol rinse and then made green dragon by soaking the dry, de-carbed bud in EverClear. Then filter the liquid in coffee filters. From there I boil off the alcohol and make RSO into capsules for my main meds. I do save some gd for use in tea. coffee, juice etc for a fast fix.

I dont smoke, dab, vape or anything else - just gd and my capsules.

Boiling off the alcohol and making capsules is a lot of work and time, plus the cost of EverClear is very hi.

So, Im interested in looking at other options. Bubble and dry ice hash have always sounded like even more work than Im doing now, so the dry sifting has my interest now.

But I have a few questions.

Mainly - how much will I loose by changing over to dry sift vrs washing with EverClear?

It seems to me the EverClear process would extract more than doing a dry sift. Th trade-off being the inclusion of more plant matter, chlorophyll, etc?

Also, I need to find a better tutorial - preferably NOT a video. I hate fucking videos - especially ones by stoners. :slight_smile:

That video was useless to someone who has no prior knowledge of how to do it. I have a vague idea about sifting, but that video still did me no good. Plus, I dont see the point. BY the time he was done, the original pile was almost completely spread between the other two piles, so what did he accomplish? He certainly did not separate out much stuff to throw away compared to the final product. Also, why two piles? How did he decide when to switch to pile #2? Why not three piles? More importantly to me - how the heck did he get to that point to begin with? That powder just magically appeared? Was he working on top of a screen or what was that surface? If it was a screen, what about stuff that went through it? what size mesh? etc etc etc etc.

Iā€™ll stick to my GD/EverClear routine if the sifting wastes too much end product, but it looks interesting as a possibility.

So - @paintedfire420 - how do you do your sifting? what screens, what prep, and how do you use the final sift material - dabs or?

I am assuming sift can be made into GD or capsules easily enough.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve done bubble hash, dry ice, reduced tincture and dry sift. I can 100% say that nothing beats the ease and high efficiency of dry ice. Get some dry ice from the grocery, get a single 120um bubble bag, shake that shit into a 5 gallon bucket. Thatā€™s itā€™s. Yield is damn near 100%. No solvents, no high temperatures. You can easily process a pound of old bud and/or trim in under an hour. Dry it out for long term storage (I put mine in my desiccator box). Put it on a cookie sheet on parchment, bake at 240F for an hour if you want to activate it.

The only con is that itā€™s not quite as clean as dry sift. But with a little practice, you can learn when to stop shaking the bag and get pretty close, but with 3-4x higher yields.

What to do with dry ice hash?

• Melt some butter in a double boiler, mix in 1g hash for 2 dozen edibles. Donā€™t bake your edibles more than 300F! Bam, perfect tasting edibles with predictable dosing.

• Get your ass a rosin press or buy some eBay plates and a shop press. When you learn to make good dry ice hash, you can make lots of great rosin.

• Mix 1/2 into ethanol and run it through a coffee filter. Reduce it until a little thick (carefully)! Mix it back into the rest of the hash as a binder to make something similar to old school black hash

100g of hash from not that much trim and bud. That was an average size run for me. At 1g per 24 edibles, Iā€™ll be 50lbs heavier before I figure out what to do with it.

20 Likes

I think it depends on technique of how each is prepared but dry sift with multiple screens and going very slow over long time produces the best full melt hash I have ever had and makes me the highest ever with tiny amount I love it.

For me I donā€™t remember the micron numbers but you get three silk screens and one size is for plant material, one is for tricome stalks, and one is for hairs. Spend at least 30 minutes each level sifting as slow as you can.

I use three of those old school (fucking dating myself) silk screening tshirt makers itā€™s like a wooden frame with 1/8" groove and you put the silk screen in there and a piece of twine or thin rop goes in the groove and holds the silk taught, it looks like a needlepoint sort of.

And trim goes on there and use a credit card or baseball card and move it slowly over the screen 5 minutes, go chill come back until 30 minutes sifting each level, throwing away the plant excess each time.

Final product is lime green powder that is fine a slight breeze will blow it away much finer and more uniform than keef. And press it no heat other than heat of friction and I smoke it with indirect heat dab rig works its bangin!

5 Likes

Yes dry ice is easier and higher yielding.

18 Likes

Ethanol it probably going to be the quickest, most efficient route for your consumption. Perhaps invest in a still and recover that alcohol?

2 Likes

holy shit!!!

That is fucking GNARLY!

With that much Iā€™d probably smoke myself into a coma and then have conrad murray plug in the rest from weed iv.

Damn player I have not seen a beautiful display like that I have heard of them but never seen. There is a place in India people go from all over the world for their honey moon and you and spouse are nude and run through a weed field wearing these burlap or some material suits and the keef gets all over.

Then you go to this cool shade place and use knives to scrape all the keef off the suits and collect it in a bowl (like cereal bowl itā€™s a lot) and roll some keef balls and smoke with chillum and enjoy the best banging in the world.

Iā€™ve not got to do it idk about the married part but the rest sounds bucket listy.

5 Likes

Well I wasnā€™t nude but maybe I should have been.
This was after dusting myself off.

16 Likes

I do exactly as shown in the video I posted a couple posts back. Except sometimes I go over it 2-3 times.

I gave the original post a good read. I didnā€™t realize extracting the whole crop was into question here as I didnā€™t fully read it first time around. :stuck_out_tongue:

Static Dry sift is definitely not practical for doing the entire crop. So you are correct @Jetdro I would vote for bubblehash in that situation.

6 Likes