What is the best way to use Jack's 20-20-20 all purpose for moms?

Just received my bottle of Jack’s 20-20-20 and would like to know what is the best way to use it for mother plants to keep them short and happy. Ppm, ratios, and any general info is appreciated.

5 Likes

Most people feed their mums the same food which they are feedin their plants in veg with ( grow nutes ) this usuaally has a ratio of 2/1/1 or similar , pushing n .
Pushing n promotes stem and leaf growth , so if fed to mums it will push them to grow taller /leafier , mums or any plant if fed grow nutes for a long time 5 weeks plus will start to show p or k def and will need a feed or two of bloom to keep p k levels up . A more balanced feed like 20/20/20 is pushing nothing to the extreme , it’s just happily ticking over at nice pace , so 20/20/20 is a balanced feed for longer time in veg kind of

400/500 ppm maybe depending on pheno and then see colour of plant and adjust accordingly

The lower n in the mums will help when taking cuts as the cuts will have less n stored in them , so they shall root faster ( a cutting that is full of n shall just sit there and take weeks to root , it does not need to fire them out as quickly as possible , as it has enough n in it to survive already kind off )

To speed things up even more , one week before taking cuts feed the mums with a complete feed but pushing p ( you can use your bloom nutes , the extra k will do no harm )
There’s even less n in this feed and the higher p promotes rooting also

Drop the ppm abit too , so as to make them slightly hungrier in that week befor taking cuts

: )

14 Likes

No experience with 20-20-20. Only light experience with mums.

Keep in mind it has no Ca or Mg.
Unless I read the wrong label.

ifish has some impressive info!!!

5 Likes

Thanks @ifish. Your the one to talk to when it comes to this stuff. Truly appreciate you taking the time to explain it all.

3 Likes

No, you read it right. I’m going to add about 2.5 ml of calimagic to my water first and hope that does the trick lol! :thinking: I hope I don’t have to get a bag of cal-nit just to feed 3 moms, but I will if I have to. :weary:

2 Likes

Are you putting the muthas in coco?
Cali should do it.
Cal-nit has such high N relative to the amount of Ca it gives up.

Jelly. Soil guys seem to be able to run without having to use Ca additives. (I’m a soil dummy.)

1 Like

I run everything in Coco. Been giving my mom’s the same nutes (maxi grow) as my veg plants just lower ppm. They’re getting a little to big for my liking, so I’m hoping the 1-1-1 ratio of the Jack’s keeps them happy but also keeps them from getting out of control.

1 Like

Moms will still grow fine and get unruly on MaxiBloom 4-15-14 at pretty much the same rate as MaxiGrow. I’ve used both.

1 Like

Nice post @ifish

I agree. A balanced fert should be just fine. I’d feed less as well.

2 Likes

I have never used or bought cal-mag and I’m running old ProMix BX medium. I guess I’m one of the lucky ones!

Coco seems like it’s fussy I don’t like fussy

5 Likes

Coco could be fussy, but after you buffer and fill the cations sites with Ca/Mg, it’s an awesome growing medium. I also have no need for cal/mag if using a complete fert with the proper ratios for that particular stage of growth. It’s just that the Jack’s has no calcium or magnesium in it, so I have to add some to my base water to make it a complete fert.

2 Likes