Here are some more pics of my youngest plants. You may want to refer back to earlier pics if you need to. I'll start with the 3 from my 1st photo set, in my JAN 16 posting.
63 & 64 live together. They have been in veg for 21 days and were cuttings only 40 days ago. 64 is the unlucky one. It started out as a beautiful, albeit sparse cutting. It was beautiful and healthy when ity was buried. 7 days later, it got its 1st round of sf nematodes. (For those whom don't know what a nematode is, it is a microscopic worm. It feeds on many different of insect larvae. Fungus gnats and thrips included. I buy them 25 million at a time and use them in 3 applications, over 10-14 days.) Although I'm not sure why, the first application on newly rooted clones occasionally causes water damage. The substrate needs to be continually moist to keep the nematodes alive, but coco doesn't retain moisture long and usually the damaged clone starts recovering in a couple of days. As a last resort, I have dug it up and put it into fresh coco, but I don't like to do that if I can avoid it.
Anyway, this poor little plantling was turning completely around. It didn't heal the wounded leaves, it just grew new one instead. I mentioned in the my regrets thread
that I'd taken 63 and 64 out of the cabinet and set them in front of the closed doors to photograph them in better lighting for detail. I knocked poor little 64 down and now she needs crutches and bandages but I expect her to make a full recovery. Unfortunately, she is no longer a good example of how good clones turn out with out clipping the leaves.
But, look at her sister #63. She is an excellent example. in the first set of pics, she is the one I started in a diagonal half of a rockwool cube. Going through the sequences, you can see the leaf in contact with the heat mat got dried out, but taking a close look at the the first image in today's post, you should be able to tell that the leaf has actually mostly healed. This leaf is still supplying the plant. There is one a bit higher up that looks unhealthy but it is still on the plant. Not the healthiest leaf on the plant by any means, but it is still soft. It is a toss up as to how long this leaf will remain. However, look at her. She has grown 12.5" since going into veg. I will be taking a cutting from her a little later, but I wanted to show how nice she looks before I did.
The last of the 3 plants from my first set of photos is #65. She lives with #66. She is the one I deliberately held back while 63 & 64 went in. I have a set schedule. Every 2 weeks, 2 plants get harvested, 2 plants go into Flowering, 2 plants go into Veg. 1 seek later all 4 plants in Veg get up-sized. It works just fine, if I work it. At any given time I have 2 clones in making, 4 plants in veg in to different stages, and 6 plants in Flowering, also in different stages.
65 & 66 look like they are sisters, but 65 is more than a week older. Again, I want to point out the leaf damage on these 2. The one on 66 is pretty easy to see. It is to the right side of the container on the edge of the open area. I expect this leaf to heal somewhat, because the stem is still as moist as if the leaf were fresh. I could be wrong, but the first time I noticed a leaf heal, it looked just like that before hand. I thought maybe my weed was stronger than normal, I mean I was sure I was just really stoned. I did have sequential pics. In fact, that event spurred me into a picture taking frenzy for several months. The day I realized I lost all those photos on the death of my network drive, I just threw up my hands and said, "Fuck it! Why bother after that?" and completely stopped shooting pics until @LemonadeJoe
contacted me and gently nudged me into participating instead of just reading and leaving. He was right, it was time. That's when I started shooting again and posting as well.
Ok, now focus on 65. She has a dying leaf as well (just under the biggest leaf on the left) and that one is a goner for certain. The stem is mostly dried out and outer half of each finger broke off while I was re-potting. I implore you, look closely at the rest of the leaves on each plant. They are all very healthy.
BTW, did you notice that I put these 2 into my nets (what I've been calling my drilled pots)? When I re-potted all 4 Vegging plants, I saw 0 (zero) sign of insect activity at all! I am daring to hope the flyin' fuckers are gone, at least until they find me again in the Spring. I should have at least another 4 weeks! The drilled pots worked remarkably well when no insects were present, which was the same time last year.
The last cutting I am following in this series is #67. As you'll recall, I said that 66 & 67 had been kept in the frig for a while so I didn't need to load up any station. I thought is was about 5 days, my records indicate was 7 days. I had turned them 2X, but the cutting that became plant #67 had laid in a condensate puddle as some point in the refrigerator. Those leaves suffered damage before they ever got started.
This little plantling was cut 17 days ago. It fully rooted at day 9 and I buried her on day 10. The leaf damage she entered cloning with is still there, but again, look for yourself, while 2 leaves slowly got worse, the leaves at the top (which , frankly worried me more than a little when I first took them out of the frig) has stayed consistent. I expect both of those top leaves to recover nearly 100%.
I hope these photos have persuaded some of you "leaf clipping" folks to think about trying it for yourself and some of you "you should always use a humidity tent, I never do, but they say it is the best way" people to change your mind and build or purchase a little plant friendly humidity retaining enclosure. It is worth it!