What kind of "hazards" will happen trying to get fem pollen from a single branch of 1 plant in a SOG?

I’m thinking of trying to collect feminized pollen for the first time from a partially reversed plant.

I’d like to spray just one branch with STS/CS or whatever solution is needed to cause the reversal.

The thing is that I would be trying this in a tent with probably 5 other plants.

Here are the 3 main “hazards” I’m unsure of:

1. I assume that the buds from the sprayed plant would be unfit for consumption? Even if I’m only spraying one branch, won’t the solution in some sense find it’s way into the plant completely? I’ve read mixed things on this.
  2. The other plants in the tent could get some STS (or whatever) on them and also become unfit for consumption and/or start growing male flowers.
  3. The other plants in the tent could become pollinated. I think I could stop most of this if I removed the branch before the sacs open, and collect the pollen outside the grow area?

Not sure if there is anything else I would need to consider. This would be my first time intentionally having male flowers in a tent.

If there is a single post or thread I could be linked to, that would also be rad.

Any clarification is appreciated, thanks for reading.

1 Like

Not an expert but you could take a clone and hit that with the STS in a different location and then brush in the pollen.

4 Likes

I should have mentioned these will be autos :grimacing:

Timing could become an issue. Generally I start autos I plan to reverse three weeks prior to the ones I plan to pollinate.

3 Likes

Do you reverse entire plants? Or do you happen to reverse single branches?

I was actually thinking I would just store the pollen for the next run, but I literally know nothing about pollen so maybe that’s not feasible.

Yeah, I tried doing em at same time and the strawberry nuggets I wanted to reverse took too long so had to dust the other autos with stored sour stomper fem pollen. Moved the strawberry nuggs to a different location so will get some f2s from them and collect some pollen for next time.

For storing pollen you want to let it dry out a few days then I put em in a vial cut with oven baked flour (dont have to do this, can store the pollen uncut) and then vacuum seal yhe vial into a bag with rice and store some in fridge and some in freezer. Once you get some out of freezer later you need to let it come slowly to room temp first then use it all. Cant refreeze well and stay viable as far as I know. So keep that in mind when choosing how much to out in each container you have.

I then take the vacuum bags with vials in them and out them into a vacuum jar and put the jar in fridge/freezer.

Please correct any incorrect info I put here or add to it if you do it diff.

2 Likes

Autos are do small. I generally spray the whole thing.

Pretty much what I do. Been able to store pollen for over two years with this method.

4 Likes

You could just clip that branch when it’s close to releasing pollen and put it in a cup of water in a separate area the pollen sacs will open and you’ll be able to collect it

I would just make a hole in the bottom of a plastic bag big enough to fit over that branch keep it tight around the stem and then spray into the bag at the branch that way you won’t contaminate anything

2 Likes

https://www.bio-world.com/site/accounts/masterfiles/MSDS/MS-41920008.pdf

Link to the msds for sts spray if your interested

2 Likes

:bomb: :right_anger_bubble: :dizzy: CaBoom!! make sure you have no air flowing around and using a toothpick can pinpoint bud sites directly.

2 Likes