What Other Plants Do You Have?

I like your dog bro.

6 Likes

Thanks, I tried to get her to move out of the picture, but she was like, ā€œno fucking way am I going out of the shadeā€. :cactus: :sunny:

8 Likes

Hey, speaking of green chilisā€¦ You got any real New Mexico Hatch chili seeds you can send a sister?

4 Likes

I bought the plant as a seedling. It wont be Hatch green chili unless it is grown in Hatch, NM. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: The cultivar is called Big Jim though.

4 Likes

Training them like I do my hops ! Bet there over 20ā€™ in length now!

1 Like

5 Likes

Does anyone have a particular potting soil they prefer for their flowers or annual container plants? Iā€™m not sure Iā€™m real happy with the cheapy organic kellogg brand Iā€™ve been using. I feel like my coleus and a few of my other flowers arenā€™t performing as well as Iā€™d like. I have so many darn container flowers, I try to keep the cost down and spend the real money on my cannabis soil. So, economical would be ideal.

2 Likes

Oh @Meesh you should almost be to the point of building your own mix from scratch shouldnā€™t you?

1 Like

I could, but I have such a large garden and so much work, I like the simplicity of the container plants and would love to just keep it simple and just open a bag and transplant to be honest. Also, they get changed out a lot too

2 Likes

Iā€™ve even considered just buying non-organic potting soil and using chemical nutes on them since most are annuals except I compost the soil when they finish and I donā€™t want to waste it as I donā€™t want that crap in the compost.

1 Like

I use ProMix BX for all of my container plants, straight out of the bale. Works well for me with all veggies and annuals. Iā€™ve been using ProMix for at least twenty years now, and I have had no problemsā€¦whenever I go to pick some up, I carefully inspect the plastic to make sure there are no rips or tears which could allow little pesky critters in. I recently had to order some from Amazonā€¦I did spot a few little rips, but have had no gnats.
And I use diabolical chemical fertilizer.

2 Likes

Yeah, pretty much everything I read online says to use a soilless mix for container plants and chemical ferts. I may just bite the bullet for ease and an overgrow in my containers. Iā€™m not really that hippie when it comes to the containers. Iā€™ll def keep everything in the ground organic though as I just enjoy the process and everything about it. The petunias I worked so hard to germ this year, are just pathetic. I know they would have been huge by now had I used chemical ferts. Never too late to try a different approach. Container plants are entirely reliant on us to feed them anyway, so some chem ferts wonā€™t kill me. Just wonā€™t recycle the dirt except to the city in the green waste can I guess. I still have tons of organic soil I can put in the compost from my container cannabis plants.

I really want big pots of coleus right now. The ones I have from spring are so small. Since itā€™s Cali, I can probably start some seeds even now. I think Iā€™ll try one seed in each starter to separate the colors out this time and once they sprout Iā€™ll get them into the part shade quicker and just feed them some chems. lol

Iā€™m assuming the sunshine mix #4 that I have in the garage will work. Next bag, Iā€™ll try out the ProMix BX. I think they sell it at Lowes if I recall.

3 Likes

Well the only plants I have are:
Parsley,
coriander (cilantro),
sage,
lavender,
Basil
Aloe
Yucca
Several cacti
Buganvipia

Ohh and some watermelon that accidentally popped up

6 Likes

Iā€™m so excited, I still have a tomato and a pepper plant alive and fruiting. The cucumber got decimated by a windstorm. This is the best Iā€™ve managed outside.

12 Likes

Last time I got cherry tomatoesā€¦ The bloody white fly got them good and killed the plantā€¦

3 Likes

Yes, coleus are tender perennials, and as long as no frost (or temps donā€™t stay much below 50 F for extended periods) they will grow nicely for a few years before losing vitality/vigor. In most parts of US they
grow as annuals.
I start them year round in South Florida.

2 Likes

I used to pluck the blossoms and suck the nectar from the ends :wink:

3 Likes

Letā€™s consider a moment that BBQ is a subject that perhaps is as old as fire! That there might be a bit of competition going onā€¦and that some fools think ketchup goes in a basting sauceā€¦others think vinegar tastes good. Cā€™est la vie.

2 Likes

So at present I have

2 roma tomatoes
1 hillbilly tomato
1 beefsteak
2 aloe vera
1 banana pepper

wife has
A jasmine (Maid of Orlean)
5 figs (Vista, Vert, Chicago Hardy, Brooklyn White, St Rita)
several succulents
Monastera delicioso
Schleffera
Jade plant
Norflok Island pine
African violet
Swedish Ivy
2 orchids
a gerber daisy
ā€¦

oh and my rosemary.

6 Likes

@ReikoX veggies are looking good in spite of that heat! Nice job!

I needed a bell pepper for my chili tonight and I was really excited to go out to my plant and grab one! Doesnā€™t get fresher than that. Talk about Farm to Table!

@Calyxander Awesome! They will pretty much be perennials here then too! I remembered how small the darn seeds are when I planted a bunch of starters today. If I want them separated by color then I better buy some new seeds! lol The Rainbow mix will not be separated unless I somehow gained a steady hand and a microscope! Anyway, trying some more, Iā€™ll see how they do. Maybe Iā€™ll put a few directly into the shade garden as well and see how they do. They remind me of that lungwort that is thriving out there now. These could really make the shade garden pop!

4 Likes