What parts of growing do you love/hate the most?

I am bored, so I decided to ask a boring question :slight_smile:

My hydro setup is running smoothly, so nothing much to tinker with there except check PH/EC/TDS every so often and adjust water levels… My plants are doing well. They are two + weeks into 12/12 flower, and Im done doing the scrog thing, so maybe I get to pinch off a leaf every so often and take an occasional pic for the log. Yawn.

It occurred to me that I like veg stage much better than flowering stage. I get to DO STUFF more often - like LST, FIMing, etc, and I get to mess with them more often because the lights are on 18 hrs a day instead of 12.

So for me, veg is much more fun than the flowering stage. The only fun part of flowering stage is checking trichomes. That I find interesting and watching the flowers develope - but I much prefer doing stuff than just looking.

LITFA be dammed!! :smiley:

The part I dislike the most is harvest. Thats just lots of tedious work. The cutting, trimming, drying, de-carbing, making RSO, and then capsules. Lots of boring, tedious work.

I was going to make a poll, but Im too lazy :wink:

10 Likes

i absolutely need to get an automated system dialed in like that :smiley: i usually try to forget about them so harvest seems to come sooner. my favorite part of growing is sampling the final product and studying theory. i enjoy the last weeks of flower because it smells the best…

why trim it if youre just going to make RSO from it? or you just use the trim you mean?

4 Likes

I love the first three weeks flower because of all the hurried and dramatic growth.
My girls usually triple in size and it’s a daily show.
Seedlings to veg is my least favorite time because the plant doesn’t do more than build roots.
Main veg is great but all the real action is 1-3weeks after flip.

9 Likes

I hate every minute from germination, up until the first week of veg is over.

You can throw a full grown plant off a three story building and find a way to keep it alive. Mess around and look at a seedling the wrong way tho and it’ll damp-off. :grin:

12 Likes

I only trim the larger fan leaves and stems. Everything else - if it has trichomes - goes into making RSO.

3 Likes

Agreed most definitely.
I don’t even consider it in veg until that weeks over and sometimes 2 weeks with some strains.

3 Likes

I hate cutting them down after giving them all the love and time nurturing them.
The part I love is finding the final dry weight after curing for a couple of weeks to find you have more than you originally estimated.

4 Likes

I agree, seedlings suck.

4 Likes

Ive had about enough of mixing nutes. Moving to organic soil next run

3 Likes

that means you don’t want to help me
I have 11 different reservoirs running now. I add a min of 6 products to each and a maximum of 12. At the moment I don’t write anything down. :sweat_smile: only what I have here on my grow thread.

2 Likes

If you like that amount of ease, you really want an automated doser too then. If you know the numbers you want for your plant, why not let a machine adjust them for you ten times an hour?

I switched light cycle on the 20th of last month. I have looked at the graphs since then, but that is it care wise.

I did go visit them last week and have a look at them but I did not need to do anything whilst I was there.

Anyway, back on topic.

The part I love most is when I can just LITFA because everything is going well. When things really go well that can be 3 weeks at a time with visits that last about 2 hours meaning a total work time for a flowering of about 6 hours. If I can keep the total work hours for a flowering cycle below a single day’s work I am happy. Of course there is much work between cycles but that is unavoidable.

The part I hate most is when something is wrong, I have tried all the things I can think of to make it right, and I cannot figure out the root cause of the issue.

Figuring it out though and learning more is another thing I love most.

2 Likes

First off I love growing all sorts of stuff. I dig all stages or growth. Agree with @anon32470837 boredom creeps in but I occupy myself with other stuff. Hard to love/hate patience yeah? I don’t use the word hate lightly so I’ll say that the biggest dislike of mine growing wise is probably all the second guessing that goes on between myself and me. Issues are fine to me since it’s part of learning and adds to experience. Experienced growers still have issues too, just not as much maybe?

Love it!

6 Likes

I dislike all the cleaning and cramped conditions when growing indoor. The best part is smoking someone out and all they say is, “Oh Shit!” :grin:

3 Likes

Indeed… and there’s finding them out in the car asleep.

and trim jail is hell…

2 Likes

Ha! Ha! That might not be good in my neighborhood. At least you get scissor hash in trim jail. :grin:

1 Like

I like most is sprouting new seeds and smoking :slight_smile: Finding a keeper is the best.

I dislike all the regular work and trimming. Now I am trying to get drip working. And I am already dreaming about a dosing…

2 Likes

I love everything about growing, but my favorite part is popping seeds. There is so much potential in such a tiny package. It’s the reincarnation of the mother plant, the plants only true desire . My least favorite part is IPM. Mixing up the spray, pulling everything out, waiting until lights out, spraying within 20 minutes of adding aloe…, it pretty much sucks.

4 Likes

I agree…and is probably why alot of growers prefer growing out clones…no seedling stage…i can say personally, i find it much more rewarding to start out with the simplest form of genes " bean". It makes the end product/result that much better.

2 Likes

seedlings are fun when you already have a flowering crop going. When you’re starting up fresh the 2 weeks of staring at the same 2 leaves seems to last forever. Waiting for cuttings to root and start growing is just as bad or worse IMO, it takes even longer. at least with seeds you see those first 2 leaves gradually getting bigger

7 Likes

My least favorite part’s not growing it’s the drying/curing. I still mess that up sometimes.

2 Likes