What are you listening to?

To my brother @ganjajuana!

https://youtu.be/3m8x8fDL01o

1 Like

This time it ain’t much about music, pay attention to the date in their title instead:

YouTube: Swallow the Sun - April 14th [2015-May-11]

From “Emerald Forest and the Blackbird” (2012), as a tribute to Peter Steele.

Lyrics

April 14th and the sabbath is near.
The ground is trembling,
weakened by the longest winter.
These are the last steps
of the frost giants as they leave.

An April moon is rising as the trees turn to rust.
Killing season comes in shades of gray.
An April moon is rising as the spring turns to dust.
We lie down to a howling sound
as the world is slowly coming down.

Bless me, ghosts of winter,
for you have made me stronger,
to face this day and ever nights,
further north our paths will go.
South is burning, east is vast,
west is dying fast.
But as I leave,
my heart holds no fear;
I know there’s nothing from here.

An April moon is rising as the trees turn to rust.
Killing season comes in shades of gray.
An April moon is rising as the spring turns to dust.
We lie down to a howling sound…

On the altar of endless snow,
on a deep glacier’s glow,
we prepare our graves.
Here under the north star I will sleep away,
to the deep hum of your icy womb.
April 14th, and death is here,
the tide has finally turned.

The ground is trembling,
weakened by the longest winter.
These are the last steps
of the frost giants as they leave.
But my heart holds no fear;
for I know there’s nothing from here…

A few years later this brief message was found (via instagram, i think), addressed to the StS keyboardist Aleksi Munter:

doomlord.sod: « Aleksi, is the devastating news true about Aleah? » (2016-Apr-14)

Now keep in mind that Aleah Liane Stanbridge (who died on April 18th of 2016) actually worked with Swallow the Sun that same year when Aleksi played “April 14th” with his band…

Honestly i feel most clueless as i can only imagine his disbelief when informed in 2016 on his iPhone that she was critically ill, presumably. It must have been a serious shock to the survivors as it turns out mister Munter left the band around that sad period…

Sad but fascinating.

ADDENDUM

Another schematic showing the connections between Juha Raivio and his bands would have helped as well.

The truth which i initially felt transpiring through that music finally proved to exceed my expectations. Apparently i’d have to comment there were auto-biographic elements from 2 significantly different creators who mutually enhanced each other’s art, eventually, until one of them received a cancer diagnostic late in 2013, but not before they became a couple. To me this sheads light on their mutual transmutations and yet it remains a complicated situation. Not to mention it’s as if they teased death and it took them by surprise when it happened to bite them back…

Alone i wouldn’t find neither of them utterly exceptional, but together their brute talents matured to a point it causes me to miss that which i ignored before. Looking at a recent video i suspect the widower may be doomed to loose his way - exactly as he wrote in his last song on the Hallatar album, possibly inspired by Aleah’s sense of beauty in shape and words.

Their common symbolic universe emerged as a frosted forest, where tears turned into emeralds and sirens deceived lost sailor to eat them, etc. The loss seems immense in every way, i’d recommend having some background on Aleah’s early vocation:

[ myspace.com/iamthatwhichremains ]

Take note of the date Aleah’s team album was finally ready, enjoy these samples:

[ treesofeternity.bandcamp.com/ ]
Trees of Eternity, Hour of the Nightingale (2016-Nov-11)

Hour of the Nightingale (5:35)
A Million Tears (7:13)
Black Ocean (7:01)​

Then her lover’s tribute, with his guiding light gone forever…

[ hallatar.bandcamp.com ]
Hallatar, “No Stars Upon The Bridge” (2017-Oct-20)

Mirrors (7:09)​
My Mistake, with Heike Langhans (6:44)
Dreams Burn Down, with Aleah (6:32)

Use with caution as it could risk “cracking your shell” where it bleeds…

1 Like

I miss guys like Lowell George, Guy Clark, Tom Petty, Townes Van Zandt, Blaze Foley, all so important in my life. Thanks @ganjajuana, you got me in a groove that makes me feel sooooo old! But I like it! :cowboy_hat_face:

I find it rather off putting when lyrics are posted here. One can assume that the poster is familiar with lyrics as that is the “message” of the music. If the lyrics are not distinguishable by listening to the composition, then hold on to your interpretation as your own and spare us. :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

I also enjoy the work of Little Feat, and especially that of Lowell George…so much so, that I named one of my St.Bernard puppies after him.

Here is my Lowell as a puppy:

Sadly, big Lowell is no longer with me.
I miss my good boy.
RIP Lowell.

Oops, forgot!
ETA
Some enjoyable tunes from the Human Lowell:

5 Likes

Salutations OleSkool830,

Too bad. I’m assuming it’s more convenient to ignore than having to search for it: i’ve always favoured inclusive scenarios.

Personally i don’t normally appreciate much being imposed a scenery neither, but this is part of what those groups do and i certainly respect the widower’s own determination to honour the work of his lost companion.

E.G. more frustrations coming your way…

Good day, have fun!! :peace:

ADDENDUM

Fixed using

[details=Lyrics]
BB Code (from “Options” item of on-line editor menu, labelled as “Hide Details”)…

1 Like
2 Likes

Touche my brother! Nothing personal of course. My comments aren’t exclusively directed toward you my friend. Just a generalisation. Much love and respect…:cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

@BloodyAxe these guys r canadian

2 Likes

To my brothers @99PerCent, and @Scissor-Hanz. https://youtu.be/UCxxp6n2m0Q

3 Likes
1 Like
2 Likes
2 Likes

Hi again Oleskool830,

Well i’d certainly share the opinion that lyrics would fit best after being wrapped as “spoilers”, to help clean the output as displayed on portable devices. What happens is that relatively to the contributions of Aleah Stanbridge i’m still trying to disperse my own confusing perceptions around what’s supposed to be her influence/legacy to StS, for example.

It’s not even clear if some recurrent hints are rooted in real past dynamics or simply a result of synergies and coïncidence. Hence i was thinking i might wish to post more of what i find in an eventual future…

Good day, have fun!! :peace:

1 Like

start sifting… :wink:

there’s 2.5hrs of post-fire subcool here:

https://soundcloud.com/user-928350579-16614181/episode-23-ft-subcool-of-tga-seeds-subcool-seeds

1 Like

whats with people saying mate when they’re talking to british people lol.
this guys not making much sense man he said that he went to amsterdam to get seeds in the late 80s and smuggled a bunch back and ‘from that overgrow was created’ but theres like a 15 year gap in there LOL

3 Likes

i thought that was pretty funny too(Potty, the host, is an Aussie):

Subcool’s ageing & suffering, clearly insulated from reality by success, beat-up, but I think at his core, a good old fashioned american weed-head & decent guy.
So yeah, he rambles like a manic person with the microphone at an AA meeting & consumes several grams of THC a day, we get a lot of noise with the truth. Amongst that noise are little gems, I think. I hope Jill gets her solid 50% due her. For that matter, Badger should get alimony too! haha

As i understand the story, the online community was just a pile of primordial ooze in the early 90s, but by y2k(wow i’m old), internet connections were better & overgrow itself was becoming. before that, a handful of then-underground-growers/friends? pooled money for dutch beans, & some of the genes are out in the gene pool we love today. he got busy & had legal troubles but fled to Oregon the day he finished his jail-time, then working from Jill’s & on & on… to here.

MMJ laws on the west-coast were something like desegregation-laws in the north, attractive to the Opressed. :footprints:

1 Like

2 Likes

cant believe i listened to that whole thing lol, my favorite part of the story was when he talked about growing and getting busted in winnipeg :muscle:

the way i understood it, she only owns 50% of TGA seeds while he owns 100% of subcool seeds and subcool.com which he is now operating under. she can operate under TGA seeds herself if she wants but would owe half to him. she may have also gotten some of the strains, idk, i don’t see jillybean listed anyways.

http://subcool.com/seeds/

3 Likes
5 Likes