What the H E double hocky sticks is this thing?

I have never seen one of these before. In the wild or in my grow.
Just curious if anyone has any idea what it is ?

6 Likes

Tis your first stink bug? Chasing the stink. Kill/remove and I wouldn’t worry unless you see 40. Careful though, they don’t smell great when smashed. Could be assassin bug though…

4 Likes

Kinda looks like a assassin bug

2 Likes

I know what a stink bug is. We have them here. This does look kinda of similar but is more then double the size and longer bodied

2 Likes

Oh then I’d guess not. Sorry didn’t mean to be demeaning at all, just wasn’t sure if stink bugs were familiar to you

1 Like

Didn’t take it that way at all. Sorry if it came across like that :slight_smile:

1 Like

If it’s a assassin bug there good predators they do work I get them here outdoors kinda funky looking caught me off guard first time I encountered them was one laying eggs on one of my girls last season

3 Likes

It may be full of eggs to lay. They leave honeycomb looking slats of eggs on the undersides of leaves. I have a pic somewhere…

3 Likes

looks like this found some last year :joy:

7 Likes

Could it be this boy. Western conifer seed bug

(Note the antennae on the pic. Stink bugs/squash bugs don’t often have 90 degree antenna)

8 Likes

Pretty sure I have it ID’ed and it is a native insect to here. Weird I have never seen one in my vegtables gardens all these years lol

2 Likes

Huh. Today was the day I learned squash bugs and stink bugs are, in fact, different bugs.

2 Likes

Brown marmorated stink bug. They wander inside our place. I carefully grab them and take outside. Where they fly away.

2 Likes

Yes this is the stink bug we have here. This one and a green colored one shaped the same.
The bug I posted has a much longer and skinnier body .
Click the link I shared. ( I can’t seem to save an image from it )

3 Likes

Just to add. Squash bugs are usually 16mm max. Western conifer seed bugs can average 20mm. Same eviction procedure. The hind legs tell me it’s a seed bug

5 Likes

Thanks.
(I miss the flying squirrel image you used to use lol.)

3 Likes

That is definitely looking like a pine seed bug( conifers seed bug). I get thousands here and they try and get indoors during the winter months.

1 Like