What websites have reliable data for strain genetics?

was looking at seedfinder for the backgrounds of some strains, a site i regularly use, even though I know theres a good bit of faulty info out there. But after coming across a few posts that still say wildly outdated info, where can i go?

i don’t have the time anymore to do a ton of background research on a plants history, but I want to be reasonably assured that i have somewhat reliable data.

What sites are reliable and have good backgrounds for strains?

4 Likes

Seedfinder is my “go to”, it seems to be significantly better than Leafly.
I’ve noticed that a lot of newer names are ‘not in there’, I’m guessing the Instagram crowd are not big on adding in their info, too bad.
I don’t find that to be a big problem as I’m usually messing about with older stuff anyway… :grin: :vulcan_salute:

Cheers
G

8 Likes

It’s my go to typically as well. the older stuff to has not really been updated or anything. this is still in their og kush description:

Blockquote Story #1:
OG Kush (the original cut) came from an S1 from in a bag of '91 Chemdawg in the Lake Tahoe area in 1996.

Story #2: (by Kailua kid from sierra seeds:)
In late '93 John from Grass Valley Ca. got the Chem Dog cut. He shared it with me, Jerry(cowboy) from Dibble Creek Ca. and Harold(Putz) from Sunset Beach Ca. Putz had a male he called the secret ingredient. It was a cross of Lemon Thai and an Old World Paki Kush. Putz bred the secret ingredient to the Chem Dog. The buds that came out of this cross were going around So. L.A. county in '95. Someone told Putz that Kush must be so good because it was mountain grown. Putz laughed and told him “this Kush is Ocean Grown Kush bro”. The tag stuck and it became known as OG Kush. In the spring of '96 Putz married a girl from New Zealand. Before moving there he sent cuts of his OG to me and Bob(beans) in Salinas Ca. He gave all his P1 stock and all the remaining seed he had to Mike(mad dog) from Downey Ca. In late '96 Mike sold some seed to some guys in the Valley. That’s where the San Fernando Valley cut of OG comes from. It’s like the Original only more sat in pheno type. Mike sold a cut of the original to a guy in Orange county and that cut is called Larry today. It’s still around Orange county. Mike sent one other cut of the original OG to a breeder in Europe. As far as I know he never let anyone else have it.
Jerry bred his Chem Dog cut to a Humboldt county indica boy. This was the beginning of his cubing proccess. At BX3 he got a pheno that had all the smell, taste and kick of the Chem Dog, but in a pure indica pheno. Jerry gave this plant to Bob. It became known as the West Coast Dog.
Bob bred this plant to my Old World Kush male. He took a male from that cross and bred it to the OG cut Putz had sent him. This is what made the original Bubba.

Lineage: ChemDawg x [Lemon Thai x Old World Paki Kush]

this info is just so false and outdated that it makes me question every other strain description that I see.

2 Likes

John from gas valley :rofl::rofl:

Yeah well seedfinder use public submitted write ups, so of course some are way off or outdated…

You can send in a write up with sources/references and they’ll correct it.

Can take up to 6 months before they switch tho

LOL, I know!!

Don’t remind me… there are 35 entries for OG Kush and I cross checked everyone! :rofl: :vulcan_salute:
…and chased after all of the clones…

Seedfinder looks rather ‘retro’ now and unfortunately the newer breeders don’t seem to post info there but I haven’t found anything better.
It never ceases to amaze me that there are so many unknowns in the lineage of most lines… … and they’re not that old…
Any other line of inquiry you would expect these levels of uncertainty at 200 years… not 20!!
Like that old saying… “if you can remember the 60’s you weren’t there”…

Cheers
G

1 Like

Seedfinders.eu – Leafy.com - Growdaries.com _ AllBuds,com are a few

Seedfinder all day! They should update their website but it is still useful

1 Like

I just type in the strain name and “icmag” on google.

Seedfinder is the best of the “fake news” sources.

4 Likes

New one from Purpl Scientific about their products, sounds like some good progress and advancements on data and testing. I like the fact they say if it tests over 30% then it probably isn’t.

3 Likes

I liked strain finder but then they entered info I sent them incorrectly and have failed to ever correct it… makes me wonder how many other strains and people they have done this to.

They did it to PBud Mike