Whats the best way to get rid of fungus gnats?

What you have my friend is Hypoaspis miles which is a predatory mite. If you do have any fungus gnats, they won’t be there long. These guys are a direct predator of the fungas gnat and they feed on the larva stage in your soil/medium.

Totally harmless and a sign of good healthy soil.

6 Likes

Aw man, wish I checked OG earlier :laughing: I totally would have done this experiment. My gnats were growing in number, so all of my babies got a spoon of neem meal and mosquito bits. I’ll still give this a shot, but won’t have definitive evidence for or against your secret gnat defense…

I’m thinking at this point maybe just yank your plants out and put them in water and sterilize your mix by throwing it in a turkey bag and cooking it about 150 degrees for 1/2 hour sorry your having so much issues there buddy! What does anyone else think of this method?

I would put it in a garbage bag and gas it with co2 until no oxygen left, tape it and let it sit for 24 hours. Zero oxygen zero life. I can’t remember where i heard that but it makes sense and your stove stays clean.

2 Likes

I got this tip from @GrowerGoneWild. Just use boiling water. I Drilled holes in 5 gal bucket and poured boiling water in a half filled bucket. It sterilized the pro mix very fast.

2 Likes

And it will work provided you hit at least 2000PPM for a minimum of an hour.

2 Likes

thinking of ordering a couple of packs of this description says it will eliminate all plant pests and last for up to 6 week anyone else used this or something similar??

I have ordered some nematodes to try wen I next water hopefully they will sort my pest problem would I be able to mix the nematodes in to water with crushed up mosquito dunks?

Just found wot I think might of been an adult flying fungus knats caught in one of the sticky traps and squashed the little fucker will there be more than one adult inside my grow tent

Is that a fungus knat on the sticky trap? On the plus side the girls r progressing well imo there is also a slight skunky smell coming from them so all is good apart from these fucking fungus knats

1 Like

lady number 2

2 Likes

Yes, they are effective. It lasts more like 2 weeks tho.
Although what’s being captured by your sticky traps are not fungus gnats.

Wot r they then the big fly that was caught in the sticky trap looked like an adult fungus knat it’s the first time the traps have caught something like that most the time it’s just the very small black fly like things

@LED_Seedz stated above:
" What you have my friend is Hypoaspis miles which is a predatory mite. If you do have any fungus gnats, they won’t be there long. These guys are a direct predator of the fungas gnat and they feed on the larva stage in your soil/medium.

Totally harmless and a sign of good healthy soil."

1 Like

But they only appear wen I water

Yep, they don’t like to drown and come up for air at watering times.

Looks almost like a root aphid but missing the two tailpipes at the ass side.

Lots of folks have mistaken the two, but seedlings don’t stand a chance against the aphid and your plants would be dead in a few days at the size yours are.

Be a good idea if you haven’t purchased one yet to get a jewelers loupe, 60 power and look at your critters up close. You’ll need it to know when your plant’s are done anyway.

6 Likes

Thanks for the replies I have just ordered that same jewelry loupe

2 Likes

bit of progress

1 Like

i honestly used nematodes one time then let my plants dry out really well and never saw another fungus gnat again… but now i have thrips so i’m going to order more nematodes, except i’m pretty sure my other treatments will kill nematodes too soo maybe not… says kills spider mites on contact so i’m hoping it kills thrips too

1 Like

I also bought Bacillius Thuringensis sub Israelensis – to have on hand just in case a problem came up. Knock on wood, I haven’t had a problem.

I am curious to know. . . . how did the treatment work out with you?

CannaRose

4 Likes