Whats the best way to get rid of fungus gnats?

Let her grow, if she can’t handle the conditions replace her.

4 Likes

Forgot to mention that both plants r 14 days in the difference between the two is massive I just hope the other one makes it

1 Like

Look what i just killed, i dunno what it is, but it looks like a fungus knat right?

2 Likes

looks too big, and the back legs don’t look like a FG to me.

2 Likes

It was 2.5mm long, really small, and was flying around the plants. Could it be an endemic species to CR?

1 Like

I’m definitely no expert. I can really only identify the 3 or 4 bugs that are common in my area. My fungus gnats don’t have those big grasshopper legs in back tho.

2 Likes

everything else is bigger in the jungle, I would not be surprised if tropical fungus gnats are extra big and hungry!

aren’t earthworms in the rainforest 1 foot long? EDIT Holy shit! They’re FOUR feet long!

http://nerdist.com/earthworms-in-the-amazon-are-four-feet-long-and-they-gurgle/

4 Likes

I haven’t noticed anything like that in my tent but wot ever they r they only appear wen I water the plants and they r tiny like little mites or something like that I checked the plants a couple hours after watering and the sticky traps r full of them it’s getting on my nerves now nit nowing wot they r :grimacing::sob:

2 Likes

sounds like fungus gnats indeed, i’d also recommend the beneficial nematodes they worked really well for me i’d recommend a couple treatments then the method 1 pps for preventative maintenance IPM

http://a.co/cqeZKe4

1 Like

This was the sticky traps a few hours after watering with BTI water :sob: my diatomaceous earth has came today do I just sprinkle it all over the top of soil or is there a specific way to do it?

2 Likes

Is there any chance you could get a better pic of some individuals I’m not convinced that there fungus nats still! They just look to small .You’ll want to wait till it dries a bit for the DE to effective! When u do water, water from the bottom , capillary action will work to your advantage !

1 Like

How do I water from the bottom? Do I fill the run of trays and let it soak up through the holes in bottom of pots?

1 Like

Exactly, when i first read it i was like, “this is a joke” But no capilary action will do it for you!

2 Likes

OK I will try that next time I water

1 Like

That’s some funny shizzle right there! LOL

2 Likes

Lol so u r taking the piss then? Can’t believe I actually fell for that

3 Likes

It´s for real bro, it works…

3 Likes

Ya just fill the saucer/drip tray and let it soak up for 1/2 hour or so, just don’t let them stand in water for any length of time or you’ll have other problems on your hands , hope that helps!

4 Likes

YA BRO bottom feeding n u should put some mosquito bits or crushed up dunks in the bottom tray too to kill any that come out the bottom

6 Likes

Sorry for the late reply and possibly information that may be said already.

This is my take on fungas gnats.

First ask yourself, are you growing in a medium that contains organic material? Are you using hydro or soilless mediums?

If your soilless, hydro or any form of growing that is not using major organic/carbon materials. Fungas gnats (bare with me) are your fault. Think about what you are doing and if the medium is getting a proper dry period, if your plants are far from wilting or showing drought stress when your water timers go on, than you need to change watering times or adjust your watering to give them a dry period.
Good news is, when using non organic or soilless methods, your not worried about soil life or beneficial life really existing, your plants feed on nutrients directly. An easy solution to get rid of the gnats in under a week is using BT in your water, this is also marketed as catipillar killer. This will kill the larvae and get rid of the gnats in 7 days.

Organic growing, you don’t want to use BT as the soil life will be damaged. Use beneficial insects and nematodes to combat the gnats while also addressing watering issues.

99% of the time gnats are result of over watering.

4 Likes