Whats the best way to get rid of fungus gnats?

They are not supposed to be in organic certified products either, but there they are.

This is the offending product the only bag I purchased.

4 Likes

this stuff is why I look for the OMRI seal. I noticed General Hydroponics has started a brand ā€œGeneral Organicsā€ that includes ā€œVermicropā€, all the products say ā€œorganicsā€ but none is OMRI certified. A lot of this is going on.

http://www.vermicrop.com/about-vermicrop-organics/

3 Likes

That very bag has OMRI listed in the upper right hand corner

Iā€™m very sure it was a manufacturing/packing error, I have no doubt it was a gross mistake, such as left over end of run product between varieties, like finding an onion ring in your bag of fries

2 Likes

I still will never buy it again

2 Likes

Iā€™ve seen ā€œorganicā€ slow release fert for sale. It was tiny green pellets. Looked like Osmocote.
Iā€™m surprised to see that, if thatā€™s Sun Gro ā€œSunshineā€ mix tho.

1 Like

I have been using ProMix BX for a quite a long time now. Very happy with the consistent quality.
Whenever I go to pick up some new bales, I always inspect all of the plastic wrapping to see if there are any tears or holes in it.
If so, I look at other bales without any obvious breaches.

I always use DE and lots sticky traps even before I see any fungus gnats at all.
This combo helps prevent any serious infestation from taking hold.
It is my routine prophylactic measure

4 Likes

itā€™s possible the balls are little pellets of chicken shit, maybe it is organic. A couple years ago I asked Fafard (which no longer exists) what exactly what they were using for ā€œstarter chargeā€ in their organic mix. It was an organic chicken-waste product, basically the same stuff Espoma is made from.

agree on Promix BX, I used it on my outdoor containers this summer, looks like really nice quality peat. Thatā€™s why I bought the MP Organik, hopefully it should be same quality except with organic wetting agent. My organic fetish wonā€™t allow me to use BX on cannabis.

1 Like

I have cracked then open they are just little time release balls with dry powder inside, on a side note when I moved to the South they used to tell me I had to be able to make chicken salad out of chicken shit, to which I replied that must be a southern recipe because no Yankee will eat it.

1 Like

thatā€™s pretty funny, as a Northerner I am sold on a lot of southern food classics though, love grits, chicken-fried steak, etc. They donā€™t know how to pronounce maple syrup though!

Chicken waste and chicken feather meal are the top 2 ingredients in all the Espoma fertilizers. Apparently there is a huge amount of chicken waste going from industrial production into the Chesapeake Bay ocean. Espoma and Scottā€™s are only using a small fraction of it on fertilizer. The more Espoma people use, the less waste goes into the ocean. Plant-tone is great stuff for outdoor use, or when you need to cover the whole lawn. I like to play with the boutique fertilizers for cannabis but truthfully Espoma works really well too.

Chicken shit is available to plants quickly, feather meal is slow-release, so they combine the two of them.

1 Like

Really getting sick of wot ever pests I have Watered today first time in 8 days only a small amount but 30 minutes later pests all over the top of pots they r either whitefly or fungus knats I have sticky traps in place have used diatomaceous earth and have been watering with mosquito dunks crushed up in the water and still got these little fuckers :sob::gun:

1 Like

Maybe itā€™s time for neem

1 Like

Okay guys, Iā€™m going to let the cat out of the bag. This is a different philosophy, we arenā€™t going to kill them with poison. We are going to starve them to death. Hereā€™s what we are going to do.

Go to your local brew store and buy a pound or so of malted barley. Now take it home and grind up a handful in a coffee grinder until its a powder. Sprinkle over the top of your pots and water it in. Do the same thing about a week later.

The enzymes are what we are after. They will eat the decaying organic matter that the gnat larvae are feeding on. You can buy pond enzymes at some pet or feed stores and use that or you can make a Seed Sprout Tea (SST). Malted means they sprout the grains then dry them in a kiln, so any malted grain will do.

It worked for me, I might work for you too!

8 Likes

anyone ever use

*ABAMECTIN ? the brand is syngenta, agri mex 15ec

Sounds dangerous.
http://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/profiles/extoxnet/24d-captan/abamectin-ext.html

1 Like

It is what the guy at the hydro store recommended to me when I asked.

This is what I see that looks good

1 Like

Looked harmful to dogs also :-1:

1 Like

You can get liquid Bt (same bacteria as in mosquito dunks) Iā€™ve heard it is more effective than the dry stuff. I put Mosquito bits in my Coco coir when I mix it up as a preventative. I think they are corn bits inoculated with Bt. I still have a few gnats thoughā€¦ soā€¦

5 Likes

(Sarcastic tone) No dogs in my grow room. :scorpion: Yes, dogs no

3 Likes

I killed my toxic spiders but I still want mr. Scorpion

1 Like