What's the point in auto flowers?

Y do ppl run auto flowers what’s the point

7 Likes

Some people grow auto flowers hoping to eliminate some hassle but it don’t work out that way for many new growers if you are thinking about it make a couple of regular grows first

7 Likes

Yes they do. People believe its easier. Idk what the point is.

4 Likes

to do outdoor all year long is the only one i can see you eliminate the sun schedule being an issue as it is in some parts of the world

13 Likes

I still don’t think polluted genetix is good even if u do get multiple crops I mean to breed with a rudiralis it pollutes the gen pool no

4 Likes

Good for confined spaces, filling in gaps in veg, early outdoor harvest, and they are fun for something different. I wouldn’t use them as my main crop, but they make a nice boon every once in a while.

21 Likes

Well to each there own but not me polluted genetics is polluted genetics lol thnks was just curious on ppl t thought but I can’t see how using a rudiralis is good for anything Sept ruing the genetics of say a true og breeding with that would hinder the terps an potency u can’t take cuts your yields are hindered from the short low to no potency rudiralis

3 Likes

I have grown several autoflower strains and they were fine. I don’t remember any of the names cause they were always sent as freebees. I think they are kinda cool and serve a purpose. I never had a issue with yield or quality. I honestly don’t know about breeding with autoflower seed. I imagine you wouldn’t want to do it unless you had access to the information of all the previous lineage. for the home grower autoflower strains are fine, but for commercial applications they don’t work unless you are producing the seed yourself. I prefer a mother to clone from.

5 Likes

For cooler climate areas I think that it is beneficial to use auto or semi-auto strains to be able to finish outdoors. Only very early strains can do in cool and rainy climate.

I can’t see how you can call it “polluting genetics”. Don’t forget that basis of autos - cannabis ruderalis - is natural and landrace in some areas (including my homeland Czech republic).

I personally don’t prefer them because of low yield, but I’ve heard that new auto strains are much better than those I’ve tried. And of course I’d never grow autos indoors.

22 Likes

By pollutintion I ment it is nothing like sativa or indica as in u wouldn’t smoke a rudiralis all one were as u would on an indica or sativa it produces no thc or anything it’s considered ditch weed in Russia thanks tho you did provide the best answer

1 Like

I keep hereing ppl growing them indoors and I just couldn’t grasp my brain around it lol I like taking cuts can’t do that with autos

3 Likes

I have no interest in growing autos myself.

However, for short outdoor growing seasons, they provide a means by which to obtain ripe flowers for growers in northern locations.

Seed banks and breeders have been steadily increasing the availability of autos which reflects the growing demand for them.

From what I have read, the potency has increased over the past ten years or so as well.

So autos fill a need some growers have.
Simple supply and demand.

10 Likes

There are many different types of autoflower varieties out there. Selective breeding has been used to keep the autoflower trait and the high THC of the drug variety. There is plenty of variety in the gene pool, no need to worry about pollution. Lots of breeders work with photoperiod drug varieties.

Cannabis in its natural state is ditch weed. Selective breeding has been done by humans for a very long time to increase the THC content. Left on its own, cannabis will revert to a low THC state. It is the selections of breeders that keep the THC and terpene levels high. Modern autoflowers have ruderalis as a distant relative, due to this same selective breeding.

By the way, according to Marijuana Botany there are only broad and narrow Indica drug varieties. Sativa is hemp. I do believe the author, Robert C. Clarke, shares a similar opinion as you with regards to autos, feminized, and CBD. I’ve always wanted to grow a feminized CBD auto. :grin:

22 Likes

autoflower = Satan :smile:

8 Likes

No wonder I like them! :smiling_imp:

14 Likes

I believe autos will be the future cultivar type of choice for large commercial cannabis cultivators, mainly because they will be able to rotate 3 or even 4 crops annually in warm and tropical climates, with very uniform plants all from soil-sown seed. Like soybeans.

Auto strains were created for far-northern lattitudes where summers were too short to finish photoperiodic strains. But they will see their biggest use in long-season areas, I predict.

Not that I like it. But the big seed companies, and mechanized large-scale farmers, love it. Terminal seed, no cloning operations, strict uniformity, 90 days whole crop seed-to-harvest regardless of season. Potency issues will be addressed in processing, via “blending” and extraction a la cigarettes. People will prefer consistency over potency in the end, and go with uniform brands because they can count on them to deliver a consistent taste and high. A “Marley’s Choice” joint will be a Marley’s Choice every time, like a Marlboro today.

-b420

22 Likes

hmmmm…good point - will the commercial industry decide to breed the photoperiod right out of cannabis? So far it sounds like they’re using louvered greenhouses & such, that has to be far more expensive than running autoflower strains. If the potency and consistency issues could be overcome with modern breeding techniques I’m sure it will become popular. The spectre of GMO seeds looms large over cannabis as well - it’s probably inevitable.

There are many fascinating issues to be resolved and no one can predict the future. Will cannabis mostly become an outdoor plant grown in Central America and Mexcio? The cut flower industry has almost completely left California for Central and South America, it’s far cheaper to run greenhouses and field crops down there.

5 Likes

I think the future of commercial cannabis will be light deprivation green houses. I’m sure clones will be used for uniformity.

8 Likes

First, what do everyone consider commercial? What are we talking per month?

With moms, i can flower every two months. So i can get 6 harvests a year. I don’t have to pay for the clones, so why buy seed? Ok, if it is like $100 usd per 1000seeds maybe i will think about it.

It’s not hard to root 5000 clones at a time

28 Likes

But if u breed the photoperiod out then u levee the plant from getting to full potency because finishing quick like that I’m gunna stick with phenohunting reg seeds I’ll just buy from breeders I know aren’t doing that I enjoy rooting clones it’s good to b able to keep them alive u may get that plant that’s like no other and wanna keep them alive

1 Like