When to flush (according to trichomes)?

I am wondering if, by looking at trichomes, one could tell if I could give it one more feeding or should I start the flush now. I usually flush around now but I read somewhere that you can start the flush at a certain percent of cloudy/amber trichomes. I just can’t remember where I read it and couldn’t corroborate it

Wedding Cake
Image_2021-06-26 18_53_56_830 Image_2021-06-26 18_52_54_510

White Widow
Image_2021-06-26 18_52_54_510 Image_2021-06-26 18_51_53_911

Shiskaberry
Image_2021-06-26 18_50_17_437 Image_2021-06-26 18_49_27_150 Image_2021-06-26 18_45_09_214

I’m seeing mostly clear and cloudy trichomes, I don’t think any amber yet. I think they could use a little more weight. :man_shrugging:

16 Likes

You can’t tell by trichomes when to stop feeding, you could set a ratio you’d like to see for harvest and then start straight water but In my opinion, flushing plants doesn’t really matter all that much…

Plant looks great though

14 Likes

I had read that flushing is from one of those “old growers tales” (like “old wives tales”) that just stuck around and no one questioned it. I read a whole desertion about how it’s basically pointless and you’re waisting the remaining nutes in soil that could continue to contribute to the quality of the bud up until you actually chop it down.

4 Likes

Well, that changes everything :upside_down_face:

Smoking un-flushed Mendo right now come the think of it….most times I flush some not. Don’t notice a difference myself. Usually just plain PH the last couple waterings.

3 Likes

I will start to flush when I am about 75% cloudy.

2 Likes

Techno fwiw

8 Likes

Nice stack of wedding cake !! I Got the same frostyness on mine + the lime green fluffy calyxs.

You really maximized your space !!

How many weeks are you into flowering for the wedding cake ? At 9 weeks mine seemed to have a few under developed lower buds /sucker buds . I am pretty sure it’s from using a cheap light on it the buds still loook super potent. But yield may have been impacted.

I flushed all of mine to the extreme and still got a bit of a odd taste early on.hoping the cure aids. It has already so far a little.

Congrats.

I flushed from week 6 till week 8 for 9lb hammer. And week 6 to week 8 for Chem 91 - water feedings only + and actual Flush of the soil . and wedding cake I only fed water from Week 6.5-9 weeks… I didn’t flush it. Just water feedings… If forgot to actually flush flush it.Woopsm Guess I’ll get to see how that turns out!!

2 Likes

That’s at 8 weeks as of today, the have another week at least, maybe 2, not too many clouded yet, this is my 3rd run of the wedding cake (Barney’s seeds) and its a for sure winner…but it’s my lat grow, need to change it up. This is my frostiest run so far, I’ve been adding half a dozen tea bags to my nutes pre-made a few days before for each watering.

2 Likes

Great reads, both of them, thanks for the information. This will be the first time since I’ve been growing I don’t flush… it never ceases to amaze me, the amount there is to learn about a single plant

1 Like

Wow that’s awe inspiring staring into those pics. Sweet. Those are prime photos. Somebody should make a damn og weed growing magazine or something with all the potms. And awesome pics like these. Damn.

2 Likes

I think flushing and or plain water feeding in the last two weeks was just the old way of reducing p to get plant to finish , now days this is not needed as we can talor our feeds a lot better to target the dropping p more specifically keeping till the end what the plant still needs : ) k mag and sulfer : )

2 Likes

That’s two great reads right there.

1 Like

It’s funny I just seen this I was talking to a few people yesterday about this subject lol…most people said they never flush their plants it’s about about the curing lol

I’ve done both flushed and didn’t flush I didn’t notice a difference in my smoke

I’m sure most large scale growers don’t flush either

2 Likes

I’d like to know what ppm they run throughout. Are they dropping ppm at the end at all or full strength the whole way. I’ve just been adding plain water to my res which reduces ppm.

1 Like

I basically stop feeding around 1.5 weeks - 2 weeks for soil growing. There’s enough nutes left in the soil to finish them off if the pot is 5gal or more. Smaller pots, I’d feed like a week before and let em dry out.

1 Like

Like others on this thread I never flush ; it makes zero sense to me from a plant biology perspective.
It’s like the idea that if you stop eating after a week you won’t have any nutrients in your blood, instead you just end up hungry and less healthy.

3 Likes

@MidwestMover , reducing your ppm will lower your p which is good but unfortunately it will reduce everything else also ie k mag and sulfur
Say I feed 1/4/4 from w5-7 at 700 ppm then at w8 till finish I feed 1/2/6 at 550ppm , my ppm was lowered but my k ppm stayed the same due to the change in ratio kind off , the drop in ppm was only in the p : ) k for plant health and ripening of flowers and k mag and sulfur togeather for terps etc : )

2 Likes

Flushing isn’t necessary.

However in the last couple weeks nutrient demands are lower anyway so I typically will feed a little less. By the time they’re actually done, they are barely drinking anyway.

4 Likes

There are still many people in the flushing side:

Here you can find all the arguments, I use to flush but now I just decrease significantly the nutes in the last weeks when I see the first milky trichomes … beer3|nullxnull

4 Likes