When to harvest for seeds?

I make seeds too but only for me, and I use just hand pollination of selected branch’s.

Question is this: CAN I remove the seeds from a branch that was JUST harvested, or MUST I or do I want to wait 2 weeks till the branch is "dry’ before pulling them out??? The seeds are done, one fell out and on to the floor 2 days before the harvest, it was 100 % finished.

Dying to get at these seeds I just made, see how many I made, because I am about to do it again and want to see i I need to hit more of the plant to get the number of seeds I made.

So, from those with more experience at seed making than me, CAN I PULL THEM NOW, or should I just wait tilltrim time??

Thank you in advance

Peace,

Jet

7 Likes

You can pull them now, but still let the seeds dry a week or two before sealing them up. I find it easier to get at the seeds when everything is over dry for smoking.

13 Likes

Of course you just can pull them out, but if you do keep in mind they have to lose some moisture first, so don’t storage them in a zip bag until drying, otherwise you can lost them all.

7 Likes

Darn, put the two that fell out in a bag already…I shall not do it to the rest of them. Darn it!

Thank you both for the answers!!!

4 Likes

13 Likes

I also selectively pollinate buds. I usually remove the wet buds from any stem, then throw them on top of a t-5 for 24 hours. The bud dries enough to easily ruffle the seeds out of the plant material with breaking up the plant material. They separate cleanly and then onto a paper towel on a plate for two weeks on a shelf. Separate any left over plant material before storage. My seeds stay in a dark, dry, cool space…in the basement closet in a jar. Most seed is 5-7 years old and most will pop in 2-4 days.

12 Likes

The heat will not hurt the seeds??? Sounds like a good way, I have 3 T5’s running right now…hmmmm

2 Likes

Never had problems. My T-5 is warm on top. It’s not hot enough to mess with the seed’s viability, IME. It’s a standard 8 bulb. Removing the seed seems a little easier and a little less messy than removing from fresh bud. Do a test. Put a small bud on the light and try it. Do it the two other ways mentioned and see what works best for you. They all work and take about the same time to dry.

2 Likes

They’re easier to harvest when the buds dry, thump the bud with your finger they damn near fall out.
However IF you’re in that big of hurry, yeah you can make yourself more work.
Me, myself I can’t see me being in that big of hurry.

3 Likes

I am NOT the MASTER seed maker like you. Only done it like 5 times before, this was only my 2nd time with a small paintbrush…did not care about jacking up the 2 small branch’s…had 9 4 foot plants in there, Lack of Bud is not my issue…lol.
Wanted to see how sparse or heavy my “painting” was because in 5 days I am Hitting Amnesia Haze and 50’s Orange Goji with some pollen…WANTED to KNOW how heavy to go…NOW I know!!!

4 Likes

I just spit my Jack and Coke out, too funny.

5 Likes

I like the paintbrush method, qtips work will also.
I did the plastic over the branch thing and the moisture was so bad in the baggie after 1 day that the buds were yellowing, LoL.
Last time for that trick, they did straighten out and produce beans.
So ended well.

3 Likes

I will tell you what is NOT funny…Amnesia Haze X Orange Goji…thinking a match made in Heaven.

Orange Goji ABSOLUTELY has the best VIGOR I have seen displayed by a MJ plant!!! I have seen a few, trust me.

Gonna hit “Razor” (OG) and the A.H.

WHY I WANTED TO LOOK…and it was PERFECT…

I am NOW a MASTER…LMAO!!!

5 Likes

YES, worked like a charm. ONLY LEFT POLLEN ON for 20 minutes, THEN entire plant was BLASTED WITH WATER>

I have this problem making the orange Goji pollen!!!

Placed a big bag over the 3 branch’s sticking through a pie tin and into water. The bag KEEPS FOGGING UP and getting mositure in there…ARGH…DID NOT DO THAT last time I did the EXACT same thing.

2 Likes

Ooh you should isolate the plant for a day or so before blasting with water. So you get maximum coverage.

2 Likes

NOPE…GOT EXACTLY WHAT I WANTED> NO OTHER branch’s have ANY SEEDS, and the 2 that do are LIGHTLY seeded. What I posted will be about 1/4 or 1/5th of I will get total…PERFECT FOR ME!!!

About to test the Bud right now…SEE WHAT I GOT…smell is STILL model airplane glue with BIG citrus tones to it. Makes my nose twitch when smelled.

Im going in…wish me a GOOD BUZZ…LMAo!!!

4 Likes

Test sample of the NON seeded Sugar Goji:

17 Likes

I’ve heard people use paper bags instead of plastic because they breath. :+1::seedling:

6 Likes

THANKS…living dangerously and just removed the bag !!
in laundry room with door closed on bottom floor. Plants upstairs quite a ways away, NO intake air for A/C in that laundry room, so should be contained in there. Closed the A/C vent in the room too.

2 Likes

How long will pollen remain viable in a dry lil jar without freezing??? Want to use some pollen I collected today, 7 days fro now???

3 Likes