White mold in flower

Checking on my girls today I noticed one small bud with a white mold on it. I cut it and the surrounding buds off, improved the air intake size, did quite a bit of defoliation.
Try to improve ventilation and reduce humidity. It’s about 75°snd 55% with the lights on. Don’t know about lights off but I think the temp dip’s and the humidity probably goes up.

First time growing indoors in a few years in a small space ( just under 2sqft). About 6 1/2 weeks into flower.
Anything else I should be doing?

4 Likes

Do you have a fan blowing on the plant? I cannot see in the picture.

If not, I would highly recommend even a small 6" desk fan moving the air inside that space.

Also, exhaust fan should replace the air in the space once every couple minutes at a minimum. Preferably a couple times a minute.

$0.02CAD

1 Like

It’s a great looking plant! Ya good call on dropping humidity maybe drop it another 10 points or so imo!

I do have a desk fan that blow’s on them. I have 2 pc fans pulling out of the cabinet. I had 2 inch intake that I finally enlarged to a 4 inch today.
I think I really need to bring in some fresh air from outside as the air in the basement is probably close to 50-60% the as is.

3 Likes

Thanks, I hope I cought it in time. The plants where pretty lush before I took the big fan leaves off. I’m hoping that helps too.

2 Likes

I had that mold once on a couple of buds but I tossed the whole plant.
Some posters at ICMag made it sound deadly dangerous to consume, I took them at their word.

You might want to consider putting an inch or two of mulch on top of your soil.
The local HTGS store has rice hulls cheap, or you can use composted pine bark.
Can’t tell from your pic but I used to fill my pots right to the top with soil, more room for roots I thought.
Now I use bigger pots and leave room for 2" of mulch. I also put pine bark mulch in the bottom of my pots covering the weep holes.
I don’t know for certain but the exposed soil seems to enable that mold to grow, no mold since I started this practice.
I also had problems with cloth pots too. Mold would grow everywhere light didn’t reach.

1 Like

I sure wouldn’t smoke any moldy buds either. Hopefully I got this early enough.

I’ll give the mulch a shot. I had more perilite on top but it probably washed of, I just flushed a couple days back

1 Like

Another thing I forgot to mention:
I suspect my particle board cab had something to do with it. No matter how careful I was, watering got the wood wet sometimes. Even with 3 coats of paint water got through.
Now I have 2 mylar tents and tossed that cab.

1 Like

Your other friend for life

7 Likes

I wouldn’t throw out the whole plant, it’s pretty easy to check the buds for mold as you harvest. I’ve been paranoid a couple times and used a magnifier to check, you can see individual strands of it. if you can’t lower humidity I’d think of harvesting soon.

Everybody wishes they’d harvested earlier when they lose a plant to mold.

7 Likes

Yup, that’s when mold will establish itself. Need a dehumidifier.

5 Likes

I had white poster board lining the cabinet. I got rid of that and wiped the walls down with bleach. I might do something like mr.sparkle does on the next round.

Thats the stuff, I’ve had both over the years. Somehow seems more worrisome in this tiny cab.

Wise advice. If I see it in another spot I think I might chop.

I wish I had a logger set up so I knew what the conditions are when the lights are off. I’m sure I,d be shocked.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I’m gonna make some changes but whats the best way to disinfect before the next run?

mold spores are floating in the air at all times. I’ve never done any special disinfecting after seeing some mold. Lowering the humidity eliminates it.

3 Likes

I’d read that and its been in the back of my mind. Kind of like a wildfire, if the conditions are right it will happen.

Ill let you all know how it turns out

Looks like a leaf may have died which cause the mold to happen.

So I just let you all know how it turned out and ask a few questions. I was able to get the Rh down to the 40-50% range thru flower. I had one more episode of white mold and trashed that bud. Finished them up and chopped a week ago. Dried for a week and trimmed before jarring and found a spot of mold in another bud. All problems are on the same plant.
I had heard that some strains are more prone to mold but I always figured it was due to bud structure in the strain. Funny thing is after drying this plant shrank the most and came out super light and airy. The other plants aren’t great but the density is better and never had any mold a could find.
So I guess my question is do genetics play a role in mold resistance? I’ll abandon that cross anyway but just trying to learn about attributes. FYI the two trouble free girls were Paonia Purple Paralyzer and the moldy one was a Paonia Purple Paralyzer x Nirvana northern lights.

2 Likes

1 gal water
add 1/2 tsp detergent soap (potash based)
add 3 tbsp kerosene
mix it up
keep it stirred and apply before lights out

1 Like

You need a fan blowing on the tops of the plants its a must especially in a closed closet etc…

hmmm, don’t think I have ever heard of applying kerosene to a flowering plant with the lights on.

3 Likes

youre right
what i meant to say is right after lights out