Who adds molasses to their crop?

I hear a lot about people adding molasses and it increases terps in a natural way or something, heard about honey added to the water and also about sugar cane… Has anyone ever done this?

Yep, I’ve got a big jar of blackstrap molasses for my plants. I’m not a plantologist, but I think the primary benefit from molasses is for nutrient content and feeding soil microbes – I don’t think the sugars really get taken up directly by the plants. You can add a bit of molasses to compost teas to kickstart microbe growth, and (I believe) molasses gives a good dose of Mg and K.

If you read the ingredients for your GO box, I’m pretty sure at least a couple of them have molasses on the list :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Sugars are just a carb source for microbes. They dont increse terps. The microbes do though!

4 Likes

Yes, molasses and worms compost, harvested fertilizer, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DYX5MIO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 Like

Yup, I add molasses but only on my bennies tea :slight_smile:

1 Like

I do! Plants love it. Not only good raw energy carbs for the plant but also feeds the beneficial bacteria.

Good stuff and much better than using Sweet by Botanicare or something similar.

Highly recommend!

5 Likes

Been adding it to every other watering. Each watering though, i’ve been including about 50ml LAB to 5 gallons water (no metric) I add a table spoon or two of Molasses to same 5 gallons and stir it up really well.

2 Likes

Molasses is known to have quite a bit of minerals associated with it also!

2 Likes

That is great i see a lot of people actually use it… Now, what does it do for you guys?

1 Like

Honey has anti microbial properties to so I wouldn’t want to add that, some clone with honey for that very reason!

3 Likes

Like @lotus710 says it adds sugars for microbes. There’s lots of info on it being used for regular gardening too.

2 Likes

I will be out buying some in that case… Thanks to all!

Could someone complement molasses with Fermented Sea Water?

I don’t think sea water is good idea due to salinity

1 Like

Molasses good saline water bad

1 Like

Yes, i believe that sea water will kill your crop but in the right amount with the right usage, it’s actually good for the crops. Check it out…

I wanted to know if they can both be mixed together and no problem, both molasses and SW.

I have seen it begin to ferment overnight in plain water, I think the saline content may retard that

2 Likes

Ok, then it might be a good idea to complement them while alternating them.

1 Like

I use molasses too, not much, just 1/2 tsp or maybe 1 tsp. per gallon of water every 3-4 waterings. I make sure to add it to the water when transplanting to get things off to a good start.

I’ve started using alfalfa as a dry nutrient in the soil, supposedly it has a lot of sugar for the microbes as well.

2 Likes

Did a top dress with dry alfalfa, neem meal, kelp meal, and clover seed yesterday

2 Likes

Would you alternate it with Sea Water? One watering molasses, one with SW?