Who are all the moderaters?

I wouldn’t wanna be a mod. I enjoy being me to much, no filters haha. I’ve only seen mods try n defuse situations . Being online context is hard to pickup. Which kinda seemed to happen in this thread. Happens a lot on weed sites. Guys get to high n read into stuff to much imo.

5 Likes

:trophy: @Skiball

BOO-YAH!

GOOOOOOOAAAAAL!!!

:evergreen_tree:

1 Like

Me either. Too much responsibility for me and I’m certainly biased on certain subjects I’ve seen posted in the past. People that are giving that extra bit of “power” can change and not always for the better. It’s all too easy to give a member a “ban” to silence them if they don’t agree with what someone has posted even if the post is within the OG rules.
Maybe if a post grabs the attention of a mod he/she could point another mod to the thread and collectively between them decide if it needs removing or editing?
Moderators “should” be impartial :v:

8 Likes

I’d never say seeds 100$+ are totally bullshit besides on here. Especially in today’s legal climate. I’d have drone’s of sheeple telling me about the yrs put into it blah blah. Years of little to no risk legal growing it took. Compared to previous legal climate.

7 Likes

I think I was nominated for much the same reason. Other mods noticed that I was easy going, focused on teaching others at their level of understanding, helpful, giving, never mean spirited, and good at mediating discussions while respecting all people. :blush:
Most mods have a bright light that shines through so others can find their way; more of a guiding them on THEIR path, rather than just following our own. :grin:

9 Likes

Good question, @Zion!

There is staff user group with highest privileges:

https://overgrow.com/groups/staff (accessible also through “hamburger menu” then > About)

and then there is wider Team Overgrow (which includes also Leaders):

https://overgrow.com/groups/TeamOG

In general you can turn to TeamOG / Leaders for advise or help with topic management (see privileges). They can manage all posts and topics and have tools for that (edit & hide posts / move posts / merge topics / close topics / etc.).

Main difference is that staff (moderators) can also approve or disapprove (ban) member profiles.

4 Likes

I think maybe a decision should be made between 2 mods minimum to ban someone. I’m not trying to mess with authority but peoples opinions differ massively on certain subjects. I’ve felt annoyed in the past when a member is banned for voicing opinions that I agree with. Judge and jury type of thing instead of judge dread what I say goes.
I mean no disrespect to any mods but I can say a few bans in the past have annoyed me and had me rethinking my membership here on OG

7 Likes

I think that is a good option. As I have also seen persons banned for being of a different opinion. I’m not sure how something like this would be implemented because there are conversations that we are not privy to. But I do think it should be more of a matter of fact checking and making sure that if a person is banned it is within the proper context. Blessings

2 Likes

Yes… If situation doesn’t call for quick action, we always ask inside staff group for second opinion.

Also first choice should be short time ban (1 - 7 days), not permanent one.

I’m sorry if you were offended/annoyed by some of our actions, we always try to find peaceful ways to resolve conflicts. There were only few permanent bans during last 3 years. Not more than 5 I think (not counting spammers with few posts)…

7 Likes

A quick question @LemonadeJoe. What if someone is banned but a group of us thought the ban way wrong? Could we fight for the ban to be lifted??
I’ve said it a few times now over the past year or so that OG is changing. It’s not the same site I joined when I very first registered. Arguments NEVER happened. Maybe it’s just certain people that create the disruption in our community. Do mods approach long time members before they ban to see what the problem is. Sorry in just really passionate about freedom of speech etc. I’m just trying to understand the boundaries

4 Likes

Banning an individual, whether permanently or temporarily, is not taken lightly. Several attempts to deescalate a situation are taken well before hand. Some these attempts occur in PM, suggestions, warning, there may be some moving of topics or the outright deletion of egregious/inflammatory posts, or otherwise.

A ban is not and has not been instantaneous for contributing community members. The moderators are generally patient and they do their best to keep things on track. When someone is banned, there has been in nearly all cases, events that had occurred prior to a ban that the community as a whole may or may not be aware of at the time a ban is instituted. So while individuals may agree with a user’s opinion there are most certainly on-going circumstances with some users that continue to push an issue many times too far. History play a large role.

3 Likes

Yes, generally. History matters. Community contribution matters.

2 Likes

Ah so basically bans happen after a warning private to see what the problem is? I’m an opinionated person. A lot of what I say people likely won’t like. It’s hard sometimes to not get involved in disputes that I have opinions on but if warnings are issued then it’s no ones fault other the person that starts it. Keep up the good work guys

2 Likes

I don’t think we do too bad when it comes to general disputes. We all know that we, as a community, have difficulty agreeing on, well, lots of topics. Disputes that become heated are often sent to the tank with no further action.

The folks that get banned are usually the folk that break cardinal rules (posting private emails, personally identifying information, threats, manipulation/deceit). Continuous provocative posts to start battles can also get someone banned. Whether a ban is temporary or permanent is balanced with the seriousness of the activity, the history of individual, and whether that individual was baited or manipulated before hand (which occurs surprisingly often).

Few want to give up a on a principled argument. Understandably. The moderators will try several steps to try to deescalate a situation between individuals as best we can. One mechanism may be a PM (which I prefer). But, a “warning” or other action, may also occur in a specific thread, too. It’s situational, really.

I’ve received PMs from users demanding that someone gets banned because of “x”. They would claim RIU, for example, would in a similar circumstance instantly ban someone because it’s their “policy”.
But, when we look back, we find deleted and baiting posts. If moderators had to blindly follow a specific process or policy, you’ll get something similar to how other forums moderate. And, an uptick on “banning”.

The moderators try their best to head off brewing trouble early on. They take a situational look at what is and what had occurred. While some things repeat, many situations tend to be unique and it deserves personal attention. If a person is having a difficult period or a bad day, we understand that. We are people, too. We are not perfect. We engage in adult behavior. We have bad days, too. We also love the OG community and culture.

5 Likes

Just gonna throw my 2 cents in here. In my time here I have witnessed a number of bans occur, mostly less than a week but at least one permanent. In each case the person was given advanced notice that they were being overly inflammatory, outright disrespectful to other members (or mods), or that doxing was not allowed (IE: picture/comment deleted and a public warning about it). In all cases I have seen moderators attempt to defuse the situation before it became a banable offence, even while defending against personal attacks. These are also the only actions I can see as a regular member. Even then, the permanent ban I witnessed was reduced to I believe 30 days (didnt track the exact time, but they popped back up about a month later) and that person is a contributing member again. I personally feel that the moderation team we have are competent, not power hungry, and have my full trust and support. The fact that they are hand selected from the community based on their contributions and personality is a plus for me. Each have been around long enough to see that they are competent with the plant, as well as their interactions with other members. They were asked to take on the responsibility of ensuring the forums stay uncluttered, and to help ensure the safety of its members, and accepted, instead of vying to be the next one with power.

This isnt the same world we lived in 15-20 years ago. Back then almost everyone was operating under the radar and most had the same concerns as far as the plant goes. These days the industry is much more volatile. Theres legal money in the game now, and that changes EVERYTHING. Differing opinions are going to happen much more often than they used to. From what I’ve seen, as long as its civil, not personally attacking, or baseless accusations, all discussions are welcome here. (As you can see by the fact that this thread is both still alive, and being discussed by members, and staff, of differing opinions)

6 Likes

Thank you @Northern_Loki for the detailed response. Sometimes biting your tongue can be painful. Here in the UK we have freedom of speech (yep we also have stupid cannabis and gun laws) the internet is a way to say what you want without people knowing who you are. I suppose because we live in a country that is strict on a lot of stuff our words become our weapons and frustration is what pushes us to vent and kick. I’ll shut up now as my question has been answered. Thanks :v:

2 Likes

I don’t knock our mods. They do a great job Keeping us stoners inline can be a full time job. All Im saying is before a ban run it past another mod. If you agree between yous then ban them. Obviously racist or homophobia should be insta ban. Right I’ll shut up :rofl:

5 Likes

I agree, and I’m sure they do discuss bans, but I do see a need for autonomy as well. A ban can always be reduced or removed all together if the situation shows it was overly harsh, but considering that even the most serious offence of posting personal info only results in a deletion/edit of the offending post and a warning the first time I dont feel that most bans should require a commity type system for before the ban goes into place. Add in that our community is relatively small and that there are not a ton of mods all together and I can see that type of system being very bad. I wouldn’t want someone posting my personal info all over for 6 hours while toasty waits for Loki to wake up, and I wouldn’t want toasty having to be glued to his computer for those 6 hours deleting every post and pm

2 Likes

Oh well, @Esrgood4u, with the BREXIT we will miss here in the EU many UK deep thinkers :grin:, agree on what you said, sometimes bannig gets too personal … :sunglasses:

1 Like

I were a Mod this would be my avatar

5 Likes