Who has smoked Panama red

Continuing the discussion from What are the most potent in "effect" landraces you have tried?:

It was one of the strongest herbs I smoked in the '70s. Stringy and not alot of “bag appeal” but stoned the shit out of you. Trippy sativa.

1 Like

I’ve had it many times here in Costa Rica, specialy before they started to bring brickweed. There is a strain at the south border with Panama, that is called San Miguelito, and it is derived from Panama Red. Maybe isolate traits!?

I have pure seeds I will be working with in the future as do a few other breeders I know of in California. I grew out a cross of it to something referd to as Santa Marta gold last season and it was a musky stringy crystal drenched plant , tall and narrow.

@MadScientist how long has it been sense you seen any pure pannama red around do you think any locals still grow it and keep it un crossed ?

1 Like

Pure Panama Red, that doesn’t exist. Not since at least 20 years ago. I used to buy it for $4 a half oz back in 1995.

The Sn Miguelito weed from the Panama border has some in it. But it’s been crossed with the local weed for decades; so it might be impossible to find. Wil make it a task to try and get some of that Sn Miguelito for everyone here, but it’s a longshot. Very difficult.

EDIT

There are mainly three “Landraces” endemic to Costa Rica, and those are Mango Rosa, San Miguelito & Pambele. It is super difficult to get them to smoke, since people out there will tell you that it is what you’re looking for in order to sell it to you, but the real deal, my guess is to go to the border and talk to the natives, maybe they have a better idea of where to go. Maybe in the near future i will get these nugs from them, and save all the seeds and compare with the people here in order to try and rescue some of the lineage back from these hybrids we would be getting, there must be a way to get it all back, every thesis has an anti-thesis…

Maybe @Sukia would like to join me in rescueing the strains and go seed hunting…

Bagaces, Monteverde, Hitoy Cerere, Piedra Meza, Cerro Congo, Alto Bley, Santa Rosa, SinaĂ­.

1 Like

It’s exists in pure form In the hands of a few people but is rather rare from the research ive done. It would be sad if it had truly been bred out of existence in it’s its native area, I guess the long flowering time is rather unappealing to most

1 Like

It used to be referd to as red dot localy from what I was told and was often sold along with a strain called Belize breeze does that ring a bell at all

1 Like

Not at all, Belize Breeze sounds good tho. Very unstable economy and government to go to Belize, if it’s not in Costa Rica, i am probably not going… LOL

Yeah the area has defiantly not seen any peace in some time , in the 80s there was alot of import called Belize or belizian breeze around the states, i have thought of moving to Panama to help locals with farming food the area is so beautiful but dangerous

Existe una Mango Rosa tica? Diferente a la brasileña?

I have the Sinai from real seed company along with a few others def gota keep those land races alive

1 Like

Hola, @MadScientist, yo ya he estado coordinando con amigos de la zona para una expedición, tenía todo listo para viajar en diciembre, pero las intensas lluvias no lo permitieron, ahora en este momento acabo de empezar las clases en la universidad y no se si pueda ir a la montaña, pero las semillas del lado de talamanca, (zona cabecar), es muy probable que las consiga, y en mi residencia cultive unas cuantas, para observar que se traten de la autentica landracea. Por otra parte de san miguelito creo son de la frontera tirando hacía panama, yo te preguntaba si ya las había cultivado, por lo mismo, para que te hicieras una reseña de ellas, yo solo las vi, nunca las cultive, y dime de estas Pambele, de que zona son, yo nunca escuche de esta cepa.

Hello, @MadScientist, I’ve been coordinating with friends in the area for an expedition, I had everything ready to travel in December, but the heavy rains did not allow it, now at this moment I just started the classes at the university and I do not know If you can go to the mountain, but the seeds on the side of Talamanca, (Cabecar area), it is very likely that you get them, and in my residence cultivate a few, to observe that they are the real landracea. On the other hand of san miguelito I think they are from the border throwing into panama, I asked you if I had already cultivated them, for the same reason, so that you could make a review of them, I only saw them, never cultivated them, and tell me about these Pambele, what area they are from, I never heard of this strain.

1 Like

If either of you can rescue some true land races it would be exceptionally beneficial to the community as a whole.

5 Likes

FWIW
I smoked “Panama Red” first around 1972 or so. In those days I lived in the New York
City metro area. In the mid 1970s the market was flooded with new and exotic types of buds. What fun it was having such varieties of increasingly potent and tasty smoke available.
I liked the Panama Red fine, but for me it was not up to the quality of other buds available like Acapulco Gold, Oaxacan, and the many different excitingly exotic flowers from Colombia; “golds” and “oranges“ and “reds” and “mixed” or “multi color”.
Also, some Colombians called Wacky Weed and Chiba. And of course,Thai sticks and Thai weed and different Hawaiians.
So to me, and my nostalgic recollection, the Panama Red was not as memorable as the aforementioned flowers.

5 Likes

I have it is still around in Colorado and new Mexico but rare.
I have seeds stashed of it in new Mexico hat I can’t get to for two months.
It is intense smily and you see black and white visuals out of the corner of your eyes.
In a joint the last half to third rarely burns because there is a resin puddle boiling at the coal.
Puts itself out in it’s own resin…
Also stinkiest seedlings I’ve ever seen besides golden Burmese a good one will smell like broken sewage pipes

I posted this in another post. It is awesome to grow AND smoke with bright purple pistils instead of the usual white. I also have some old skool PNG gold and some cambodian red somewhere that are other cracking landrace strains you don’t often see. You need to time, patience and space for them is the only thing.

2 Likes