Who the F*** wants to cancel DST?

Umm, I don’t know who exactly is trying to cancel our Northern Hemisphere Bonus sunlight hour AFTER work, but…they need a slap. (It’s the the stock market) Thoughts?

6 Likes

Hope I’m not misinterpreting the q but It was originally introduced by government in 1918 to help the war effort.

They just left it in place after the Second World War ended.

Think it was a similar situation for income tax too but that’s a bit off topic here. :wink:

:v::pray:

8 Likes

I for one can’t wait for them to stop messing with our clocks. This back and forth foolishness causes way to much stress on people. Every year when people lose that hour of sleep it messes up their schedule and body. I for one am happy to see it go. Here in Canada during the winter I get up in darkness and come home in darkness. Messing up my schedule with no real benefit makes no sense. Why can’t the clocks be left with that extra hour you crave and not touched again? It would be much healthier for people in my opinion.

17 Likes

I’m with double D on this one.
It’s been a pet peeve of mine for decades :angry:

@Oldguy, guess what else was introduced as a temporary wartime measure during the WW1? …Personal income taxes…

Cheers
G

15 Likes

Yup time for day light savings to go. I hate that crap.

Edit.
On my farm it’s extra annoying as my animals are use to getting there chores don’t at a certain time so when the clocks change if I go with the time change my animals get thrown off their schedule for a couple weeks or I either have to ignore the clock change so I don’t stress the animals. If it just stayed the one way, I’d be so happy and so would my cows and chickens.

15 Likes

OK it was brought in for longer working hours but due to that effort an sacrifice, the public (civilians) have adopted DST (and finally some labour laws) as an extension of family daylight outdoor recreation time, which enhances every working Canadians life (everyone north of the Mason/dixon line) for 4 months. Yeah we have to adjust…ooooh…like drinking the night before work…tough stuff there. Cancel DST and every outdoor recreational team sport league will now have to shoulder an additional hour of LIGHT to their playing fields, and the cooresponding hour LESS of productive retail business. We hibernate all the dark winter in our dark igloos, take away our 10:30 pm June daylight, in exchange for what an hour ore light at 4 AM, well thats just fightin words LOL. PS the ones pushing for this are stock market traders btw.

1 Like

You do realize it also takes away an hour don’t you? So why not just leave it with that extra hour? Your argument makes no sense. You seem to feel it is a good idea to mess up millions of people’s schedules and health for what? So you don’t have to light a playing field to play a game late at night? You may think it enhances every Canadians life but I am here as a Canadian to say it is a much bigger burden to most that produces nothing positive. Leave it so you keep your hour of extra daylight and than stop screwing with it. Seems to me like we both win. Also where I live there is no such thing as an hour of light at 4 am no matter what time of year. It’s not only the stock market that is pushing this, I signed multiple petitions to stop this foolishness over the years. It’s many people who’s lives are negatively impacted by this foolishness that are against it as well.

5 Likes

mess up millions of schedules? You must be an employer, the extra hour at 5 in the morning? Only robins care about that. Every kids sport league will have to terminate unlighted playfield games an hour earlier… and keeping a std time schedule for every adult mens beer league 50 bucks more per person for lights? You argue for business and some mental heallth disruption nonsense, I argue for quality of life after work with you know, my family…And actual extra hour of street safety after 6 pm for active pedestrians? I work 9 hrs everyday, we desere a full parttime shift with the sun and our family and friends after doing the stockbrokers work for him. Besides you and business, who signed the petition? Rob Ford? foolishness is removing it so a drunk stock broker isn’t late to get the opening bell in June, ahh NO THANKS sheeple LMAO What does light hours mean to these computer nerds anyway? All arguements against are It messes with my schedule…bots…yes it is light in a large part of Canada at 4 am on June 21 mate. Its already ‘light’ at 6 AM here, but Toronto’s always bright and you couldn’t tell anyway??? when is it dark in TO? Its comonplace in the winter for night workers to not see the sun for months, except on weekends when they break their ‘schedule’ not cool for the health. Been there, quit that. Perhaps you are a vitamin ‘D’ salesman? Just goofin around man, but no DST waffling. lol

2 Likes

I hate having to adjust myself to their stupid time change, so I feel for your animals. Time zones themselves are kinda dumb. We’d all be okay with a universal time standard. Just get used to what time of day the sun is highest in the sky, and call it noon, even if that is at 4:30in the morning. We could all adjust to that pretty easily. Just imagine driving long distances and not having to think about what time it’s changed to. :grin:

4 Likes

ROFL, hey you are entitled to your opinion. I just don’t agree with it. So you claim a benefit to giving you that extra hour of daylight, fine. What is the benefit of shifting the clocks back than? Why take that hour away? That’s why your argument is irrelevant, you could keep that hour and not screw with everyone’s schedules. Yes people that wake up every day at 5 am and now have to at 4 am is a pain in the ass and disrupts people both mentally and physically. Glad it doesn’t impact you but it does millions of people. Calling most of society bots and sheeple is just ignorant. Mental health disruption nonsense, wow. Light in a large part of Canada at 4am? Where exactly are you talking about? Ottawa is one of the furthest points south in Canada short of a tiny piece of Ontario. Ottawa’s earliest sunset of the year is in June and at 5:11am. So by much of Canada do you mean that tiny piece of Ontario?

4 Likes

Also for those who want it here is the Ontario Petition.

Also the US petition.

6 Likes

It’s total crap. :grin:

:evergreen_tree:

2 Likes

Change back allows light during working hours and your morning commute. Ohh sorry for the bots and sheeple/obedience metaphor, lol. yes Ottawa, you know its not dark the minute the chart says the sun goes down, right? LOL .Lets see Ottawa, I could be mistaken but I believe Ottawa (without scrambling to the google brain) is more southerly than oh 95% of the Prairie provinces and BC Not to mention the North. Other than the adjustment my dogs can make in 3 days of delayed dinners after the switch in the fall…they like DST too. Not to make light of mental health affects of specifically the change, but hey I don’t think this switcheroo can make, undiagnosed people without mental health issues, suffer any lasting scars. Maybe I’m wrong, but I haven’t seen shit about that except for spike in car accidents in the morning. Same as after New years, Superbowl Sunday. God forbid our bluetooth connected Atomic clock alarm doesn’t inform us we lost an hour on Sunday and better get up early a bit.

I don’t know what the right answer is, but if we get rid of daylight savings time winter is the default time. I’m not okay with it getting dark at 5:30pm and I’m only at 42N I can’t imagine y’all up in the 50s.

I say we go with whatever gives me a 6:30pm sunset on the shortest day of the year. :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Please tell me the benefits of day light savings.

In the winter time why would I want an hour less of light in the evening?

I see great benefits of springing ahead and then leaving it there forevor.

Maybe I’m missing something?

Edit. Wow. I meant to put why wouldn’t I want an hour less of light in the evening.

3 Likes

@DougDawson you’re not supposed to agree, thats why you came here. Trying to be lighthearted but serious in a Canadian way man. Its not a mental health thread, don’t have to get ruffled at all, just joust like a hockey game. yeah petitions are for data harvesting companies and don’t do shit, like threads on OG LOL, but they do sometimes get peeps thinking. I want an hour extra so I can go fishing after work with my very first grandson…you people hate grandparents and children is that what I’m hearing? LMAO

1 Like

Well look at it this way, if it get’s dark earlier you may end up with more grandchildren. You see, subconsciously it may be you that hates grandparents and children as you are helping to prevent them by keeping the lights on longer, lol.

2 Likes

I’m all for getting rid of DST. I’d vote to move the clocks so it’s dark in the morning on my way to work and light more in the after work hours.
P.S.
In the good old US of A we don’t need the darkness to do “that thing”. Broad daylight is just as good!!

2 Likes

Winter it would be pitch black when 1st graders get off the bus in DEC…4:30 pm its now dark at 530 or so in Ontario in dec.with STD I feel the switch suits the working class and children and northern residents who live an outdoor summer. Reversion because of business and conformity to a central NYSE principal is flawed, IMO I get it you guys who had to “come in when the streetlights come on” during summer vacation are still butthurt…remember BEFORE light sensors, the streetlights were timed, and was still light for an hour while you had to get your PJs on though your ‘cool’ friends still played outside for an hour… AAAAHH…LOL

1 Like

If you spring ahead one final time and leave it there if won’t be dark that early in winter that’s what you wanted???

1 Like