Who uses 1 gallon pots?

@YoBigdaddy uses I gallon pots. He is currently laid up with covid, but may be feeling well enough to see this…
I’ve finished Sativas in one gallon pots. Great way to fit more plants in for a pheno hunt.

5 Likes

Would you say fabric pots produce a similar root mass with no treatments?

I use 1g pots as well… though not alone, I put two of them in a 5g tote to use as a reservoir. Two of them fit with very little room to spare, so it doesn’t take up any more room than 1g pots alone, but allows me to fill the bottom of the 1g pots with a wicking material and then fill the reservoirs rather than watering the pots. That lets them go a lot longer between feedings, since I can put up to a gallon of water in at once rather than watering each separately a pint at a time.

3 Likes

this was the point with the tupperware container and 4 inch pots

I can put 6 in a container like this and water them all at once and they will wick it up. And I can move them without them falling over.

IIRC I could get 2- 1 gallons in a tray that size.

10 Likes

If the system directs the roots where the tips are exposed to air/light then yes, you’ll get root tip termination resulting in root branching from that point to about 4" back. Think of it as topping but done underground. Pot does all the work for you.

I’ve used RootTrapper but never found out about the results since I sold the little, newly grafted trees later. Here’s the construction which is a fabric lining coated with a permeable polymer.

5 Likes

I thought the fabric pots were similar. Nice to use nothing but a fabric container for air pruning. My only complaint is that they dry out quickly, so copper is a nice alternative for regular pots. Where did you get it?

Google. It’s expensive. MicroKote would be a better choice.

DIY. Never made it from scratch. Chemical Root Prunning? Homemade Spin-out | Rollitup

My Jaqylyns Seen to like the one gallons solids.I like to go from solo to half gallon to one gallon.It gives them a steady pace I think.

5 Likes

Beautiful plant

1 Like

I wondered about if you would have to do that.

1 Like

I do and actually prefer it. Yields decrease significantly (7g-14g per plant, dried) but I offset that with much higher plant counts. Mind you, I no longer top/train plants… so ymmv.

I think it works out to being x36+ in a 4x4 (including space for dehumidifer), x20-21 in 2x4, x16+ in 3x3, and so on…

This is coming from somebody who used to used to run DWC and 3-5gal pots.

4 Likes

using this thread to show my 1 gal pheno hunt 20 1 gallons in 4x4
this would be basically similar to what your tryna do if i pollinated them.
week 3 hand watering as some are on upside down 1 gals to even out the canopy

13 Likes

I’ve grown weed in anything I could find to put soil in lol
Smaller pots fry out quick so you need to keep a watch on them

5 Likes

I’ve used 1 gallon felt pots for years. They are great, you can actually grow quite large plants in them. Although of course you’ll have to water at least daily with runoff. I use coco/perlite in the one gallons. I’ve trained some really large plants in them too.

4 Likes

I usually run in 1 gallon pots when I have space restrictions or doing seed runs.They are easier to maneuver and fit like puzzle pieces in cramped spaces. I’ll usually run Veg for 6 weeks from seed or 4 weeks from clones. NLD Landraces are a whole different story and my attempts to run them in one gallon pots have not been good. The problem that you will run into are herms from root bounding and temperature fluctuations at the roots.
Fabric pots used to be my go to but got tired of watering twice a day.

2 Likes

I would have to guess your plants like it or not will be restricted growth and might strangle the roots below or grow upwards lol

I use 5 gallon buckets with 5 gallon grow bags placed inside them buckets , I water the plants and vacuum out the remaining water… recycle your water & test the PH Levels.

1 Like

The plants would probably prefer to have more room for their roots but the key is to pull the plants out of their pots and loosen the roots up from underneath up in the middle and shake out about 1/3 of the soil and fill the bottom of the container with new soil one week before flipping to flower.
As stated in the topic “Who uses 1 gallon Pots” and As I also stated that I only run One Gallon pots if space is restricted or doing seed runs. The norm 3 to 5 gallon Fabric or Air pots just to clarify. Thanks for your input 'tho and have fun running you 5 ga.

7 Likes

nice yelds – your pot size ?? just tired of having more soil that rooting in a 5 gallon pot -

They are sold as “one gallon” grow bags…they do hold more medium than my “one gallon” fabric pots…soooo “one gallon” but a little bigger in reality me thinks…or the fabric were smaller than a gallon. One or the other.

1 Like