Why is it taking so long to go into full flower?

Hey guys, so this is my first run in my living soil bed (bodhi & Mamiko) . I vegged for three weeks, then I flipped to 12/12 here’s the weird part…that happened September 3rd. Yet I see that these photos kept growing and growing and growing and finally I’m seeing a change leading to flowering as of a couple weeks ago.

I’m so dumb I forgot to take close up pictures, but the nodes are getting closer and closer and I’m assuming it’s finally there. These girls also started showing sex 3 weeks ago, it’s just insane it’s been taking this long to get here.

My theory is that the bed provides such amazing and endless root growth the plant is in no rush to reproduce. I still have not seen full pistils forming on the tops only change in node length and more pistils showing up.

(Had to bend the tallest colas just in case they wanted to get near the light, and also I checked for big light leaks and nothing crazy)

Anyone chime in for me, please be gentle.

4 Likes

It can take 4-6 weeks for a plant to be sexually mature. It won’t flower until it is. Once you see alternating nodes it’s reached sexual maturity and should flower pretty quickly at the flip.

10 Likes

The nodes started alternating maybe a week ago…so I should start seeing changes soon then ?

I’ve never had this type of timing happen up until I switched to my soil bed. Do you believe that the plant’s comfort in a spacious bed with continuously expanding capabilities might influence the duration it takes to reach sexual maturity?

@FirstCavApache64

1 Like

Environment, genetics, what media you choose can all play a part in how fast they grow and in part mature. I usually see it by around nodes 7-9 and then if you flip you will usually have flower formation in 2 weeks or so from flip. Some sativa strains can take a really long time to initiate flowering after flip.

4 Likes

Well damn. Thank you so much for answering. I also feel like possibly the limited space I had from 3-5 gallon transfers before forced the plant to mature earlier. This is all new to me… and very interesting. I’m considering starting my next photo run at 12/12, but I’m unsure if that might be too early or not, considering what’s going on now. (Veg in this one went on for three weeks before flip)

What do you think ?

1 Like

Lots of folks run 12/12 from seed to keep plants small or to run a bunch of seeds in a pheno hunt. It won’t start to flower regardless until week 3 or 4 usually. I have a 4 plant count limit so I run 60 plus days in veg usually and try to make those 4 count as far as yield goes. Lots of ways to go in this hobby which is part of what makes it great. The only real constraint on how long you veg for is the size of your grow area. Just need to allow for proper light distance.

6 Likes

i wonder if my plants would of gotten this big had I started at 12/12. With that being said m- I am starting an open pollination run with my Exotic Genetix - Milk n Cookies so we will definitely find out if this is true. I wonder if my photos will get just as massive or will they chill out.

I have to do research to get the most out of this.

I’m going to bed now but again thank you or coming to my mental rescue. I feel at ease knowing this info.

2 Likes

It usually takes about 4 weeks for flowers to really get started. Strains that have more sativa genetics in them can take longer, When flowering young like you did at 3 weeks it can also take a little longer to start flowering.

What strains are you running?

I think over the next couple weeks you will start to see some nice bud set happening.

2 Likes

Thank you bro, I’m growing Chem Cookies & master cookies by Mamiko. Passionfruit Hashplant & Silver Unicorn by Bodhi ! :slight_smile:

I need to smoke them already. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I’ve always wondered about 12/12 from seed for small plants. I always thought you’d get a decent amount of plants that get stretchy. Just constantly trimming plants from seed down and shaping them the way you’d like before flip or flipping small mature clones are the two I know that work for keeping them small. I prefer mature plants or clones going into flower personally though.

Finally get to see someone growing the Chem/cookies/gmo from them. I’ve been sitting on 2 packs since first drop and have yet to see a documented grow. Nice! Tag me in your thread if u get a chance plz @SubzeroIceKold

1 Like

:slight_smile: there it is. It’s going perfect plants got bigger than expected. Like by three times.

I’m going to update it soon.

2 Likes

Looking gOoD…

When flipping to flower some cultivars start stretching a lot, some sativas can stretch 300-400% of the height from the moment of flipping. Hybrids often double in size.
Once they stop stretching then they really start flowering. It’s normal for some cultivars, it’s genetic, nothing to worry about.

I’d take away most or all the fan leaves to let light through to the lower budsites.

You can make tea with them and then topdress with the pulp. :+1: