X18 Outcrosses (Test Thread)

Fields Corner Kush, Day 19.

5 Likes

They are all looking brilliant. :yum: Mechelle xx

3 Likes

Thanks for the updates! I wouldnā€™t stress too much over what YOU didā€¦regardless of there being stress in the room, if it herms, it herms. Youā€™ve got other girls that look bulletproof and didnā€™t herm in the same conditions, so Iā€™d blame it on the genetics, not the grow enviro.

The Lemon Tree Cut I was warned about it throwing a lot of S1 seeds. Itā€™s possible that that trait carried on to the progeny. Iā€™ve also gotten reports from a local buddy and tester of mine that he has seen herms in the X-Wing line as well. And apparently Bodhi himself shelved a bunch of X18 outcrosses because he came across a higher propensity of herms in the outcrosses than he liked. Thatā€™s always an issue dealing with any real landrace or heirloom genetics, of which X18 is one. Maybe thatā€™s why this line was less worked on and released less often by Tom Hill, over other more worked cultivars like his Deep Chunk, but thatā€™s just speculation on my part.

As far as ā€œusing the geneticsā€ goes, I respect you guys following the old codes! Not many people do that anymore. But with that said, if you guys wanted to play with or chuck some pollen, or found a really nice male you wanted to stud out, etc., I honestly wouldnā€™t mind. I encourage people to use my stuff, thatā€™s the only way itā€™s gonna get out there! Just give credit and let people know where it came from. Like I told @Scissor-Hanz in DM, I want all the criticisms, good AND bad, so please donā€™t sugar coat or anything on my behalf, if a line turns out sick I definitely wanna know, and if a line is absolute bunk then I wanna know even more (so I can stop working it)!

Thanks guysā€¦

Once I finish out this current pheno hunt of Sours and Sour outcrosses (digging for males for an end-of-year project), I should have the bandwidth to flower out and post my selection of X18 and Fields Corner Kush that Iā€™ve revegged and been vegging for a couple months now. Too much work and not enough time to do the stuff I love (gardening)!

-buryseeds

4 Likes

OIne of my buddies had a herm on one of the pure, uncrossed X18 plants. The lowers hermed at a few budsites at 5 weeks of flower.

So that being said, Iā€™d like to add the pure X18 in as available for testing. If anyone is able and willing to get these popped and get them going fairly soon, Iā€™ll offer out a few packs for that purpose. @pookie123 I remember you expressing interest in this before. If anyone else is interested, please let me know.

-buryseeds

1 Like

I am willing, able, and interested, if youā€™d be so kind. Iā€™d be honored to test a pack for ya.

3 Likes

yes for sure brother.:slight_smile:

1 Like

Fields Corner Kush, Day 26 flower.
Sadly reporting that a deeper inspection of my FCK females has revealed more pollen sacs. Multi-clusters at the base of most flowers, on both plants. :cry:

For what itā€™s worth scientifically,
I did grow a control group of @Muleskinnerā€™s C99xR side-by-side, in the extra spaces. They have not shown any issues so far.

6 Likes

@buryseeds bro i could pop some in a week, just got to set up my new tent

2 Likes

Howdy all. Iā€™m getting a little stretch. butā€¦

ā€¦also what looks to be some pollen sacs starting to form? I can see tiny withered pistils in one of the photos, but others look like male preflowers. @buryseeds theyā€™re showing on the lower/middle. Sound about right, yeah?

@Scissor-Hanz sorry to see that. Great catch! Looks like some nice trichs developing though on the positive side.

3 Likes

@Scissor-Hanz sorry to see your females hermi on you, maybe itā€™s the X18 - heard that line is/was hermi-prone , is your Lemon tree ok.?

@Kalgrae sorry to hear yours have grown sacs tooā€¦ yours is the Lemon Tree .?
Iā€™ll update some pics etc of my babies tomorrowā€¦

Happy growing guys,
Gaz

3 Likes

@Gaz29 yes shes the LMxX18 not sure yet completely, but looks like it yeah? On @buryseeds IG heā€™s got a little more info about the X18 hermie thing. I think youā€™re right as well gaz.

3 Likes

@Kalgrae @Gaz29 @Scissor-Hanz and othersā€¦after speaking to longtime growers and a couple of breeders, all more knowledgeable than me (and one of whom knows Tom Hill personally), it does seem like there may be some intersex issues that are inherent in the X18 line. Itā€™s possible that this is why itā€™s one of Tomā€™s ā€œunworkedā€ lines, i.e., it could have been an abandoned project due to the herm issues. This is also why Bodhi shelved his X18 project, because there were unacceptably high levels of herming in the outcross offspring. I do believe that, unfortunately, this is indicative of what weā€™re seeing here in these test grows :disappointed:

So I think I am going to have to shelve this project myself. The outcrosses definitely; I still think thereā€™s some solid plants to be found, but Iā€™m seeing way too many herms to offer these for any kind of official release.

As far as the pure, uncrossed X18, which was the main goal of the project, I have a couple hundred seeds that I kept for personal hunting and line work. Iā€™m going to now offer those to anyone who wants to do a test grow. I think at this stage itā€™s most important to see how pervasive this trait is in the PURE line. So anyone that did want to run the pure X18, Iā€™m offering 6-packs to that end. I just want to give it out there, and get it grown, and get as much data and feedback as I possibly can, to see if itā€™ll even be worth my effort to try to continue this line in the future.

To be clear, I still do think thereā€™s solid phenos to be found, but itā€™s definitely not stable enough for public offering.

If youā€™ve DMā€™ed me about running the X18 testers, please also DM some info so I can send them out to you. If you havenā€™t, then feel free to DM. Between overgrow, IG, and my local canna group, Iā€™m trying to get as many testers out there as I can. But aside from testing the pure line, Iā€™m going to shelve the rest of the line (the outcrosses) until further notice. Itā€™d be unethical for me to put any more of these out there, regardless of if theyā€™re freebies or testers, etc.

-buryseeds

5 Likes

Iā€™m still gonna run these other outcrossess , @buryseedsā€¦ but Iā€™ve got room for the X18 ibl , but if you have enough testers already - no problem bud.!
Happy to keep my outcrosses going and weā€™ll see how they doā€¦ tho a pure indica / paki strain is my preferred smoke. Good luck with these X18 test.!
Happy growing
Gaz

2 Likes

this product ā€˜optic foliar switchā€™ is supposed to prevent plants from herming similar to dutch master reverse - itā€™s sprayed on day 7 and day 17 of flower and should prevent any male flowers from formingā€¦ it can also be sprayed after male flowers first appear and will cause them to die and prevent any more. i think its same stuff they use for making seedless watermelons etc

although @buryseeds i imagine if iā€™m testing the seeds youā€™d prefer this product wasnā€™t used, so you can see the results of how it grows on its own?

3 Likes

I would like to see how they do ā€œin natureā€, so to speak. but hey, if you had a herm cut, and wanted to playa round for scientific purposes, no harm no foul :thumbsup:

To everyone that reached out about testing the pure, uncrossed X18, I finally have everything ready to send out this week. Some of you havenā€™t provided any info on where to send, so if youā€™re looking to get these beans, please do so. I will likely ship everything this Friday, time-permitting, so that gives you a couple more days to get back to me. Thanks!

-buryseeds

4 Likes

Just a group shot of the 4 different strains of @buryseedsā€™ X18 outcrosses, taken about 5 days ago, Iā€™ve flipped em to see any males/hermiesā€¦ Iā€™ll update again laterā€¦
Gaz

5 Likes

Hereā€™s my lil lady after flipping to 12/12 on the 25th of march. Not showing any signs of being hermaphrodite. Sheā€™s stretched pretty decently and is starting to put a little more weight on. No frost yet, but a nice scent from rubbing the stems.

Hereā€™s her top.

Couple near the top starting to add something to look at.

Opened up the area near the soil for better air flow, plus some of the area where just the usual older fan leaves have fallen off as the plant grows.

Helping them reach for light

Another toe shot for @Uncle_Al, my milk crate stool and some nice kief from a good friend to help ease into, or out of, saturday nightā€¦

Cheers.

9 Likes

@Kalgrae Lovely looking plant :seedling: bro I hope :crossed_fingers: it stays a lady for you ā€¦

@Scissor-Hanz Iā€™ll pm you in a bit budā€¦

@pookie123 howā€™s your Starfighter crosses, any good females to show.? Cheers.

Happy growing
Gaz

Edit: @pookie123 :arrow_lower_right: happy to hear you have some females and fingers crossed for them staying ladiesā€¦
I know heā€™s (@buryseeds) shelved this but I will continue with my outcrosses too. Quickly grabbed a shot of em , i flipped em to 12/12 about 5 days ago- theyā€™re still building themselves up before showing sexā€¦ I donā€™t want to veg long and end up with hermies etcā€¦ good luck
Gaz

5 Likes

I just flipped mine to flower a few days ago I had 1 hermie and 5 males so I believe the other 6 are femalesā€¦ They are still going though. Iā€™ll get some pics up in the next couple days. I hope to not have any more hermies though @buryseeds has cancelled his X18 cross project Iā€™m gonna run these out and see what happensā€¦ :slight_smile:

4 Likes