Week 1 flowering: too late to transplant?

Hola amigos!
Pretty much everything is in the title :sweat_smile:
I have 2 plants in the same pot (shitty idea I know) for a bit more than a month. I turned to flowering 5 days ago and I suspect one of them to be male while the other seems female (not 100% sure yet but I have to think ahead lol).
If sex is confirmed I see 2 solutions: simply cut the male and let the female grow, but I fear the remaining roots from the male will rot at some point and probably affect the female’s one. Or I try and transplant the female alone in another pot with the risk to (critically) stress her, especially as both plants’ roots are probably tied up somehow at this point… :thinking:
I need your expert advice guys :pray:

1 Like

From my experience you’ll be fine with the roots , you could use a serrated knife and split them up if both females or tie them apart and continue to flower both in the same pot . If your noticing having a tough time with keeping them hydrated you can up-pot to a bigger container .

3 Likes

You can just chop the male below surface and leave the roots as feed for soil organisms and microbes … :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Thks buddies :wink:
So @George, from your experience leaving the roots in the soil after chopping shouldn’t do any harm to the other plant? I’m a bit paranoid about rot I guess :sweat_smile:

Also if you guys want to play the “what sex is it?” game, I uploaded some pics on my journal :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Nope, it is not from my experience, I was curious about the subject and did a search. They say in gardens you should not take away any plant with its roots but chop them, because while doing this you were taking out good soil with beneficial microbiota. Leaving the roots means giving good nutrients to those microbes and bacteria and that would enrich the soil.

That makes sense to me, someone will say that it is broscience, but when I see something reasonable I tended to trust it. What gives root rot is a pathogen and high moisture and temperatures, it would affect also the female’s one independently that the other was taken away or not … :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Yup, you’re right makes a lot of sense…
Then chopping it will be, if needed!

1 Like

It’s just a plant you can repot it anytime it will slightly stunt the growth or hermie if its weak strain. But itll come back dont worry so much. Room trimming is good and its week one flower… reveg it 2 weeks for roots long better flower no foul.

In your situation chop it or maybe graff a clone in to it from the one next to it?

Go wild

1 Like

Depends on how much root mass relative to the size of the pot. A smaller pot really full of dead roots will tank your pH and oxygen levels as they rot. A small amount of roots and a large volume of media, you won’t notice.

You’ll be fine transplanting, either way.

1 Like

That’s exactly what I did recently. I just keep feeding the microbs in the container, no plant in it right now. Just helping the soil get better is all.

3 Likes