A Good Way to Train

LOVE THE LST… I once earned 9.5 ozs off 425 HPS in 40 qt. igloo gheto grow Low stessed to HELL and back granted was Indica dom but still nice all colas down the trunk rootmass 'uge! …

Looks like great big budcicles!:grin:

I can second that Thai-tanic is very quality and yielding strain from flying Dutchmen, maybe I’ll dig out my photos somewhere to upload.

Seems like you favor those 50/50 indica sativa mixes where sativa trait tends to increase yield to monstrous size but still in pretty reasonable flowering period.

1 Like

Well, I told you they get as big as baseballs. Here’s the ladies at about 8 weeks into flower. Judging from the fan leaves and calnyx color, I’d say two more to go. I’m in no hurry to finish this grow out right. Eight young’ens vegging in the wings, so it’s all good.

6 Likes

Very nice colas forming there! Also very deep green color… Congrats!

Very nice! should make some wonderful medicine. You do extremely well in that tight spot.

Love it… tasty looking colas there.

This sounds a bit lazy, but I dont really care much to train either. If you got the light and height,

Some of my personal bests with a heavy genetic is 1+GPW, When I go to SCROG, it drops to a little under 1GPW. SOG for me is the best way to grow low yielders. Its a bit hit and miss with me with LST, I dont want my branches under any stress at all and I’ve had them break off under weight, so I end up with net trellis or some silly staking system. I did a little bit of LST, this winter with cages. that worked well, I’m not a fan of tomato cages, I would rather go with the fence.

I think it depends on genetics, and what equipment you have to work with .

1 Like

Sometimes I just train to keep everything in close proximity to lamp and cut off all bottom branches (they are in shade anyway). I’m lazy too and don’t want to waste any time trimming fluffy lower buds :slight_smile: .

2 Likes

One day i am growing 16 foot tall shaggy goddesses untrimmed, untrained just free and wild!

3 Likes

Well, I eventually had to harvest this crop to make room for the next one, which overgrew my veg chamber. I need the weed, anyway. Been getting by on Cali med edibles, but I prefer my Green Dragon. Anyway, it was a pretty good grow overall. Despite some fert issues with two or three plants, they mostly just charged ahead and responded well to the Indonesian bat guano, which is full of phosphorus. That and Peruvian seabird guano. All good stuff. Just to reiterate, this was 12 plants under a 600-watt Solis bulb/switichable ballast light. I can use a 400 or 600 MHS bulb with this ballast, but prefer compact florescents for veg and a 600-watt hps for flowering, of course.

6 Likes

You got some big ol’ buds there! Great job Lumbo! All green dragon, no brownie’s? :wink: :grin:

1 Like

I had more room than what i’ve seen in pics, roughly 8’ × 10’ flower room . Had 3 400 hps . 8 buckets( 6 ladies in each). SOG, org dwc . every 2 wks 2 buckets in 2 buckets out. At first had probs with bud wieght making limbs bend and break because of streching to tall from hps light.( pruned last day of veg to only grow tops. Big colas). So did some og research and some advice was take middle hps out and use metal halide instead. Problem solved! Didn’t stretch too much, tighter thicker.colas compacted hard as rock.probly got more wght. No training no worries

1 Like

Was she hungry going through flower?

I believe you mean Lumbo not me. My stalk on here was Orange Creamscicle and she puts on weight so does need a lot of attention with reading her needs.

I’ll have to brush up on topping, I have never topped a plant from seed, my last grow was a clone so it didn’t have the apical dominance. I don’t wanna get too crazy with needing to train.

If I recall right, If I only top it once, I should end up with two large main colas and then little sites (Something like manifolding IIRC)

Please correct me if I’m wrong here.

Topping probably deserves it’s own topic, but I’ll give you the cliff notes version. The top of the plant, the apical meristem, produces auxins that prevent the lower branches from growing (among other things). When you top, those lower branches are no longer suppressed so they begin to grow, usually resulting in two new apical meristems. If you later topped the two new tops, they would each have two new tops and so on 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, … Each time you top you will loose a day or two of vegetative growth.

LST, or Low Stress Training does the same trick with auxins, but rather than removing the top, it is bent lower than the other branches and held in place with string or wire.

In your box, I would grow to 5 or 6 nodes total, then cut down to the second node. This would give you two to four tops on each plant. Once growth starts, flip them.

3 Likes

@ReikoX I am familiar with the process, just not the application haha. I think what you suggest is a good suggestion. I did LST with my last grow and it helped make an organized bush out of my odd shaped plant lol.

Might be a perfect time to mess with cloning since i’ll be cutting 3 nodes off each plant.

1 Like

After you top once just keep pulling branches down I let mine get to twelve nodes than cut the thing in half than pull every thing out to level out the canopy. Keep it that way for two weeks and you will have crazy amount of tops from one snip. If your wondering why I go so long is because em lower branches are longer and nodes are spaced out farther, allowing for more tops to come up threw with out extra trimming.

1 Like