Any kombucha brewers here?

You’re lucky I just ate or I would want some very badly.

4 Likes

Any threads I create are for open conversation. I tend to fly by the seat of my pants often so whichever way the wind blows… :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Hace mucho tiempo que no hable espanol. Necessito practicar mas amigos. Pero entiendo mucho, solo no puedo hablar mucho porque se me olvido muchas palabras

2 Likes

No translator necessary here folks :crazy_face:

2 Likes

I used to make a lot of Jun tea kombucha. Haven’t made any since I moved and couldn’t bring my Scoby’s. That and I was using all my 1/2 gallon mason jars for bud storage.

Never made my own Scoby. Can I just make a mix and add some from the store to get me started? Muchos gracias

2 Likes

You sure can, that’s how I started mine was with a bottle of store bought kombucha to capture the SCOBY culture. Btw pro tip for growers, if it’s a cloudy day put a jug of sun tea in your grow room. Works exactly the same

3 Likes

I drink it regularly. It keeps my gut feeling good and working good.

We used to make our own, had several scobays stored around the house for a year or two.
But last few years things got too busy, so now we buy it at the local store. As soon as my life calms down, I’m gonna start doing my own again.

2 Likes

I find loroco to be such an elegant tasting herb (if that makes sense). love loroco with cheese pupusas, and rice flour pupusas are my weakness.

2 Likes

Yeah. I think I forgot to add the herb in my curtido recipe above. I use Mexican basil which is not actually basil. Maybe it’s loroco?. I couldn’t find the botannical name for it as I was trying to source it to grow myslef.

2 Likes

nope, the loroco goes inside the cheese of the pupusa (i cant think of a herb that goes in the curtido tho) this is Fernaldia pandurata, or loroco:

1 Like

Hopefully not too off topic from kombucha, here is my ginger bug.

I can’t tell if I’m doing it right, the jar smells like ginger and and beer. Been feeding with ginger and sugar for two weeks, but without an obvious bubbling SCOBY I really have no clue as to the internal processes of fermenting ginger. Smells nice though.

Made a delicious looking elixir with sweetened oolong tea and some ginger bug juice, but when I tried burping one of the bottles it seems as though there is zero secondary fermentation taking place. I suppose only time will tell, and then in turn I will tell OG.

Chicharron o frijoles solamente. My heart sinks a little when Abuela makes loroco pupusas because then she skimps on the cheese.

My wife uses oregano in her curtido, not sure if she’s just winging it or if that’s a family recipe. Either way, absolutely delicious.

4 Likes

hahahahahahahahaha

true sorry @MWgrower for deviating.

not much of a kombucha brewer, ive only done it a couple times, the guy on this video is a lil annoying but i like this recipe better than anything else ive found online.

Tepache is also a nice one, pineapple fermented drink with some low alcohol.

2 Likes

@lophophora.ca and @the_bot you guys really don’t have to worry about going off topic in my threads, whichever way the winds of fate blow the discussion is cool with me if it’s cool with y’all. It’s OUR thread anyway, not just mine by any means. It’s all on topic with fermented foods/drinks. I’d honestly never heard of ginger bug til you mentioned it so I’ll try and read up on it tomorrow and see if we can figure out how your’s is doing @lophophora.ca. I’d imagine the only signs of secondary fermentation would be that your brew is still hazy cause the solids wouldn’t have all dropped out yet if it’s still working and carbonation in your brew. Btw, the chicharron and frijole papusa was my favorite of the few I tried :drooling_face: @the_bot ive only tried tepache one time from my local health food store but it was pretty good. The one I had was flavored with pineapple and pepper. I was expecting a bit more flavor for some reason though, like the pineapple water that I make when I cut up a pineapple. I learned this from my mom’s best friend who was from somewhere in the mountains of Peru. When you cut up a pineapple you simmer the skin with the little bits of flesh attached to the inside in water with a cinnamon stick or 2. When it’s almost ready you add a squeeze of lime and a bit of sugar to sweeten it. Stuff is so delicious and since it’s made from the waste from cutting up the pineapple anyway it is great cause it’s making something from a part that would just be compost otherwise. It’s not fermented but it’s delicious and I love the fact that it’s made from what would just become waste. Like when I cut up a watermelon, I always squeeze the juice out of the rind for my son. He loves this slightly watered down greenish tasting watermelon juice and I’d just be throwing it out anyway so :man_shrugging::call_me_hand:

5 Likes

Yeah. i use epazote and mexican oregano. I know it’s different to standard Oregano (Origanum vulgare) but think standard Oregano is fine to use in curtido.

1 Like