Best way to clone?

Haha even more ghetto, this isn’t my method but sharing is caring take a plastic water bottle or any other plastic bottle that is clean. Make a cut in it to make it tall enough to hold some water about the size of a rockwool cube(which will be going in there), next put the pre soaked rockwool cube in the bottom take your cut dip it in whatever stuff you’re using then into the cube.

Then ya take some water put it in the bottom with the cube and squeeze bottom of the top half into that little bit with your cube so as if you’re sticking the plastic bottle back together and then just wait a few days it’s like a mini terrarium works a treat low budget :+1:

5 Likes

It is indeed. I like to call the ‘best’ method the one where I get the highest rate of healthy cuttings at the same degree of development. For me that is aero.

I also do not use any medium, I just have bare roots in gutter trays so the lack of rockwool cubes or peat pucks that might break up and block a valve or pump is a bonus.

5 Likes

VBG great to see you again. We have been grow buddies since '03.

2 Likes

7 Weeks in.
Conditions are stable at 25-27C, Humidity up for this climate. 24 Hour of CF.

Despite my best attempt to cook them with too much light, too soon. They have recovered.

The front row, one is not growing vigorously, yet. Still dense green, still got hope.
The other was down to a bare twig with tiny spark of green. It is doing great now.

In the rear, that cutting has been nursed alone since early February. Cool,way to much light too soon, it has fought it’s way back.

Top performer is the Purple Candy, right rear.

2 Likes

I find the simplest way is often the best. Cut a decent sized branch, clip 1/2 the fan leaves, scrape the bottom stem near the cut. I use Dip n’ Grow liquid rooting concentrate at recommended levels. I then place the cuttings in rockwool cubes or plastic/styrofoam cups filled with soilless media (or pure perlite) I do not find using any humidity domes or heat mats to be necessary or helpful in any way. In this way, I can count on roots inside 14 days. I set the cuttings on the edge of the vegetative tent where light is less intense. I water with normal strength veg nutrients from the beginning. Keep the media moist and leave it the hell alone and you’ll have success rates near 100%.

To expedite the process, you can mist the cuttings daily with a tiny bit of extremely diluted Dip n’ Grow. Like, 3 drops of hormone concentrate in a liter spray bottle diluted. It is crazy strong, a tiny bit goes a long way, and more isn’t better. I have gotten roots in 7 days with this modification, nearly as fast as aero-cloners with no moving parts. To mist the cuttings, I also add a broad spectrum humic/fulvic/vitamin/amino supplement, but the hormone concentrate is the real star here. I have never had a cutting fail to root using both of these methods in conjunction.

7 Likes

Yep, lights far away for sure. I keep my 23w floros like 1’ or so from the clones. I also just did one in a water bottle ghetto style because I didn’t want to break out the huge dome for it…works great!

@Explorer you just cut them and chuck them into coco with no dome or anything? Do you wet the coco with nutes or straight water? Also, fine coco or chunky? I’ve been wanting to try that

1 Like

@beacher I use a dome didn’t think to mention that as well :rofl: I also use rooting hormone gel(clonex) with reggae roots powder before placing my cut into the CANNA coco pro plus so none of it is chunky and i firstly give them straight PHed water at 5.6.

What I will say though is I think clonex is a scam because with clonex in coco without reggae roots it takes upto 2 weeks but if you combine the clonex hormone gel with the reggae roots powder expect to see roots under a 600W HPS within the span of a week. I’ve had roots appear day 4 using my method BUT that being said at day 4 they’re obviously not ready to be transplanted :+1:

1 Like

Ya gel and liquid can tend to just run off. I use powder lately, but have never noticed a huge difference in rooting hormones tbh.

Do you generally have to water the coco before they’re rooted, or just leave it be?

2 Likes

That’s 50/50 because I don’t use pots or anything I use seed starter trays so it can differ depending what you use but I don’t have to water them til rooted in those teeny starter cubes and when I do I give them something it’s 0.5ml per litre of rhizotonic in with my water so they get a little feed to keep them going.

I fill all of those holes in the seed starter tray all the way to the top with coco, water the entire tray with 5.6 PH water. Then I use like a BBQ stick to prod my holes into each little cube. I take my cuts dip them powder them and place them into the cube.

Then I put them into my budget prop with a sprayed lid to be 100% that my RH is high in there.

Then I just wait til I need roots popping out the little holes in the bottom and boom transplant to solo cup or wherever they’re going as easy as that bro :+1:

3 Likes

That’s a nice system, I’m gonna try that next time for sure. I just started using coco and am blown away at how great of a medium it is!

Thanks for the tips

3 Likes

This is the principle that I follow.

3 Likes