Brothers Grimm Apollo XX & Canuk Super Lemon Haze (fem)

Day 143:

After 4 weeks of flower, covering with tarp. Between the miracle grow shake and feed, the aluminum sulphate, and now this new Root farm fertilizer, it’s no longer organic. I plan to feed weeks 5-8 or 9 and then just give water with epsom salt to keep the sulphur levels up for the last 2-4 weeks… super lemon haze may even go longer than 12 weeks from what I’ve read… I’m anticipating 11 weeks for the Apollo 11.

This fertilizer is intended for hydro. But I figure these ratios were exactly what I could add to my amended soil from this point on to bring this grow to fruition. With no more transplants possible after 15 gallon pots (not willing to try that), hopefully this is sufficient. Feeding week 5-9 and then just Epsom salt watering for 10, 11, 12, … That’s the tentative plan.

Here’s where we’re at before the first feeding. The Apollo XX 1 isn’t getting enough direct light and had gotten eaten the most by bugs (probably because of the shade)… So I won’t bother photographing that one. I also over pruned some of those eaten leaves and hurt some bud sites that way I think.

Apollo XX 2:

Super Lemon Haze:

4 Likes

Lemon haze isnt that long of a finisher. U can pull her at week 10 to 11 and the apollo u can pull at week 9. If ur counting days of flower from when u started pulling tarps and depriving light then yeah man non of those strains will go that long. Ur not growing some landrace sativa even wedding cakes are fully done week 11 at the very latest. Also no need to keep sulphur levels high lol sulphur isnt an element u need to watch for or supplement. Ur plants look good but dont kill em with kindness or attention just let em do their thing and just feed em til week 7 and then just water til the end. Look at my threads I have a pretty good idea what I am talking about. But it’s a good first run my man, u should be proud but really jus stick to something easy and well rounded food wise like pure blend pro otherwise ur taste will be fucked up. No need for epson salt at all ever in soil jus do a base nute til week 7 and I promise you that ur weed will come out smokable and not harsh

3 Likes

Thanks Silversurfer. I’m just worried that the soil will be totally depleted in the next month or so… That would take me up to week 8… I have read accounts of this new Apollo 11 strain taking up to 11 weeks here. Look at @oranje amazing grow. I’m just going by someone who grew this exact strain and clearly did it right. Flowering Plants To Death with Oranje.

So if I go 11 weeks then I think I would want to feed right up until 9 and then have 2 weeks of nothing but water right? I thought I read someone advocate epsom salt watering right up until harvest to keep sulphur up for flavour and smell.

1 Like

Sulphur is important to the plant for sure but if ur growing in soil then u dont need to supplement it. Especially at the end of the life cycle. Look at the nutes u are using as there is definitely sulphur in some form included. Dont just listen to people on forums unless they clearly know what they are talking about. And just cus somebody pulled it at 11 weeks doesn’t mean that’s when it is ready, slot of people let their shot go too long imo u want a 25 50 25. 25 percent clear 50 percent cloudy and 25 percent amber trichome situation imo

2 Likes

And not to be a dick but that dude def took that plant too long and it looks kinda shitty u definitely need to have higher expectations then that. If that was grown indoors I am very underwhelmed

2 Likes

yeah i will invest in a good magnification tool… I certainly don’t want to go too long. thanks for the advice I would not want to feed too long or grow too long… We’ll have to see the close up trichs around week 9 and 10.

As for the epsom salt until harvest to keep sulphur up that appears to be up for debate as some people claim it increases flavours and aromas of the finished product.

The soil is from July 1st so by week 9 it’ll be 2 months and a week old… should be pretty depleted by then especially after flowering.

1 Like

Ya I see he says it seems to come into ripening around week 9 there as welland he just let it go till 11 for the hell of it…

I will definitely take the advice and only feed up until week 7 or 8 and then flush for 2 weeks with just water. to get it to week 9 or 10.

If it’s looking anywhere near 25 50 by week 7 I won’t feed again.

1 Like

Are u feeding it a base? Cus if u are the soil depletion of nutes wont matter. U can also top dress for more water soluble quick acting organic but soil has slow release nutes so if u bought fresh decent hot soil it will do it from start to finish without any probs most times but I’d still always feed.

2 Likes

It’s fresh soil I used a potting mix with chicken manure and bone, blood, kelp meal amendments. just tap water. then i top dressed with miracle grow shake and feed slow release a few weeks ago and now i’ve fed this root farm step 2 tomato fertilizer.

It’s meant for hydro but i figure i can feed this in a watering can to provide the extra P and K. So I plan to feed once a week for the next 3 or 4 weeks (up u til week 7-8) and then pull these down at week 9-10 after two weeks of just water…

1 Like

That’s the ticket gonna be a good garvest

1 Like

6 Weeks of flowering:

It’s growing well… but somehow my plants got pollinated and are full of seeds :frowning:

I think all that sporadic covering made them go hermi but I don’t even know what a male flower really looks like. I kind of thought those pods were pollen sacs but they are seed pods… must be some pollens sacks in there somewhere.

Oh well, live and learn. Next year I might try less covering or not covering at all.

I still need some magnification to assess the trichomes too.

Apollo XX 2:

3 Likes

also looks like the Apollos both have white powdery mildew all over the leaves.

I noticed it happening and now it’s like everywhere on the apollos… I’m thinking I might just try to cut off all the leaves before it’s all over the buds too.

crowding those plants under the tarp in high humidity was a recipe for disaster and caused hermies and mildew.

I just hope i can get all of those leaves and still finish these off decently. I’m thinking i’ll just pull the apollos after 8 weeks. Just over 6 weeks now so I wonder how it will finish with no leaves for 2 weeks…

Interestingly the Super Lemon Haze doesn’t seem to have any mildew.

3 Likes

You have a few options…

Baking Soda.

Baking soda itself isn’t normally effective as a powdery mildew treatment, but when it’s combined with liquid soap and water, it can be a powerful weapon. It’s normally most beneficial if used as a preventative measure rather than a treatment. Combine one tablespoon baking soda and one-half teaspoon of liquid, non-detergent soap with one gallon of water, and spray the mixture liberally on the plants.

Mouthwash

The mouthwash you may use on a daily basis for killing the germs in your mouth can also be effective at killing powdery mildew spores. Since its function is to kill germs, the powdery mildew spores can’t withstand it. Using three parts water to one part mouthwash has been found to be a good ratio, but new growth can be damaged since mouthwash is potent, so use with caution.

Milk

Does milk get rid of powdery mildew on roses. Milk is making its way onto the scene as a viable means to control powdery mildew. Not all the science is known, but the compounds in milk may be able to act as an antiseptic and fungicide as well as potentially increase the plant’s overall immunity. It tends to be effective as a method of preventing powdery mildew on zucchini and other types of squash, as well as cucumbers. An effective mixture ratio is about one part milk to two or three parts water.

Organic Fungicide Treatments.

If you don’t want a do-it-yourself solution, there is a variety of commercial treatment options that are just as environmentally friendly and approved for organic gardening. By going this route, you also know exactly what types of pests the treatment will kill and which types of plants it’s most helpful for.

Water.

Since dry conditions coupled with high humidity are often the culprits behind powdery mildew growth, watering your plants overhead and getting the entire plant wet can help. However, it’s important to use this method somewhat sparingly as overwatering can cause other issues for your plants.

4 Likes

Thanks StillSmoking,

Honestly the quantity is not my priority at all. I thought I was on pace to do half decent for my first run but now I just want to finish some mildew free buds.

First i’m going to spray the areas of the plant that look salvageable. Then I’ll go get the axe and maybe get a machete and totally fucking massacre these mildew spores.

That will remove all the visible mildew and hopefully prevent the blood splattered spores from the massacre from restablishing themselves on the rest of the plant.

3 Likes

I had some P M problems that got worse when I tried hosing off the plants to get rid of aphids . I think I was just causing high humidity . But the Soap vinegar oil method worked for the mold but not that great for aphids . Some I tried a off the shelf certified organic Doctorzymes product that seems to have worked for everything so far .

4 Likes

Here’s some more WPM pics. It is a sad day. I will remove it all. These buds that have it creeping in got early harvested… I actually busted some up and smoked it… at just under 7 weeks i ripped several bowls to see what it does and I must say it is as advertised so far as per effect and I can’t wait to finish it out and cure some hopefully totally mildew free buds… I’ll try harvesting some at 8 and 9 weeks and see the difference in the high.

2 Likes

Sorry for your loss Dubya…

For any future W/P problems…Try this :

I have saved a couple harvests using this product… I just spot watered the fan leaves with it, and kept it away from the bud.

Hope you can still get some smoke out of this season…

Regards,

K.

4 Likes

Well I have a bunch of almost 7 week mildewy buds I am drying out to make some oil with. Full of mature seeds. Not really sure what it will be dry… 2-4 ounces. sticky enough and the scissor hash was strong albeit tasted a bit mildewy… hoping that getting rid of most of the mildewy fan leaves and drying it out properly will result in a better tasting oil at least. I also got probably an ounce or so of decent 99% mildew free bud trimmed up nice.

The smell of the bud it clearly amazing and mixed with mildew so here’s to hoping my final harvest after this purge will come out normal.

The WPM contamination report: Apollo XX 1 over 90% covered, Apollo XX 2 over 50% covered,
Super Lemon haze less than 15%…

So the Super lemon haze is lookin great!

3 Likes

Super Lemon Haze FOR THE WIN!!! :partying_face:

1 Like

Ya it definitely won out on quantity, final smoke report is all that really matters though. I’ll get some better. pics of the SLH vs the two apollos close up. But ya the SLH is looking and smelly very good, definitely more of skunky citrus scent on it and the Apollo is very fruity and delicious smelling however the mildew scent ruins it. I’m really hoping to pull a few healthy and mildew free buds off the Apollo to compare.

1 Like