Cannabis Current Events (Part 1)

4 Likes

Interesting read. Tissue Culture propagation. Is anyone here doing this?
:cowboy_hat_face:

3 Likes

The main downside of micropropagation is that itā€™s not something for your everyday small-scale grower. Micropropagation requires an extremely sterile environment, expertise, and total temperature, humidity, and light control.

This is what worries me about it. If only a select few places have the equipment to do it, then itā€™s going to bottleneck genetics way faster than cloning does today. Itā€™s probably only a concern for industry genetics. Everything in dispensaries might become the Cavendish banana of the grocery storeā€¦

But folks like us will still keep the diversity in personal seed collectionsā€¦

3 Likes
2 Likes

Damn. Nice colas! Those guys know how to grow.

Absolutely @lefthandseeds! Sounds too creepy anyway. I think itā€™s a misguided concept essentially.
Thanks for the response my friend.
:cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing the article. Itā€™s a subject Iā€™m interested in ā€“ mostly for tracking the industry. Itā€™s interesting, but Iā€™m not sure itā€™ll ever take off.

Iā€™d think there would be at least one other agricultural industry already out there that would use this technique. Seems to me, the fact that Monsanto or Cargill arenā€™t distributing genetics in this way at scale probably means itā€™s not cost effectiveā€¦ but maybe itā€™s just still too bleeding edge for any agricultural industry.

2 Likes

Nope, walk into any petco, they have been selling aquarium plants grown by Tissue Culture propagation for years. Cheap too.

I worked with a guy who was working on a clone bank using Tissue Culture propagation, when the market in Oregon crashed he put it on hold - havenā€™t talk to him in a year now.

2 Likes

how to get busted under legalization part XXIXILLIā€¦more brilliant police work! This officer busted a suspicious dumpster for having empty vialsā€¦

http://framingham.wickedlocal.com/news/20190116/mcr-labs-in-framingham-to-keep-cannabis-waste-indoors-after-vials-found-in-dumpster

MCR Labs in Framingham to keep cannabis waste indoors after vials found in dumpster

2 Likes

^^^

Not surprising.
Big waste of taxpayer funded time, going after ā€œunusableā€ waste.

1 Like

MPP again - eager to sell us out! way to go - give up all negotiating power at the start of the processā€¦howā€™s the ā€œincremental processā€ working in Washington state, where growing is still not allowed after ā€œlegalizingā€ in 2012???

http://www.wpri.com/.../raimondo-admin.../1701335928

Matthew Schweich, the deputy director of the Marijuana Policy Project, told Eyewitness News Monday night his organization would like to see Raimondo reconsider the ban on home-growing operations.

ā€œMost of the states that legalize allow for limited amount of home cultivation, including Massachusetts,ā€ Schweich said. ā€œFrom a policy perspective, we donā€™t see a need to outright ban home cultivation. However, weā€™re pragmatists, and weā€™re believers in incremental progress. We wouldnā€™t allow that to stop this whole effort.ā€

1 Like
1 Like

Well, this is certainly long overdue.
A mere baby step in the right direction.

ā€¦

https://www.wtsp.com/article/news/patients-applaud-gov-desantis-call-to-end-state-ban-on-smokeable-medical-marijuana/67-3e591c8f-5dbd-4501-a01e-4167dd69a7b2

1 Like

oooh, yo a study showing pesticide and heavy metal concentrations graphed against potency of the product would probably blow these kinds of articles out of the water. Can you imagine someone trying to honestly argue that some dark-brown brick-weed issafer to smoke than some 28% flower.

3 Likes

@oleskool830 and @lefthandseeds

Micropropagation is just cloning in a sterile environment on a nutrient rich jello, and a dash of rooting hormones. You can take those tiny branches too small for normal cloning, rinse em in diluted bleach water, cut off the now damaged tips, and put the explant in the jello with parafilm on top.

Tissue culture is the same idea, but you can start with a leaf or a stem or whatever cells you have on hand. First step is to first grow a callus, then you can step by step force it to grow each new organ that itā€™s missing from that callus.

2019 is going to have a major influx of micropropagation.

5 Likes

Sad state of affairs in the Massachusetts commercial industryā€¦only one store for a city of 700,000 people, run by a former sheriff who jailed her fellow people of color on drug offenses for decadesā€¦

3 Likes

:+1: Iā€™m hoping for some good OG threads on this for 2019.

3 Likes

Wild. I had no idea that basement labs could be sterile enough for this. Iā€™ll definitely give it a go if I hear about other people having success. Unless the success rate is super low, Iā€™d rather be doing this instead of cloning.

2 Likes

2 Likes
1 Like