Cheap LED Strips : A Viable Alternative

Here is my light using the led gardener design.

Plenty of room to add 10 more strips. Probably position the drivers on each end for balance and less heat in one area.

13 Likes

Or you could maybe run the drivers externally?

1 Like

@Tejas Thank you :slight_smile: and your light looks like what I am shooting for

I am looking for a wall mount electrical enclosure to remote my drives

I would like to add a couple of meters and the two dimmers

light power switch etc

being an engineer as far as building stuff like this my OCD is on

steroids

I may need to wait or buy somethings local as shipping is killing me :frowning:

I want to put a cord set on my LED array how far can I be from the drivers

and what gauge wire to use?

do any of you fuse the wall or the LED side? circuit breaker in enclosure?

thanks and all the best

Dequilo

A good person to answer these questions is @ReikoX. He has his drivers wall mounted when he redesigned his grow room.

1 Like

thank my friend :slight_smile:

@ReikoX so can you help my friend and thank you

Dequilo

2 Likes

First, you will need a vented enclosure for the drivers. They get quite hot. When I looked into it, they were quite expensive, like a couple hundred $$. I ended up making a wood frame and mounted the drivers to that with the wiring tucked nicely behind it.

16-guage wire should get you about 10’ before the voltage drop becomes an issue.

The meqnwell HLG drivers have a lot of safety features like over temp, over power, etc. That being said, my lights are on a separate circuit breaker in the subpanel, and the plug is a GFCI plug for added safety.

8 Likes

so they have some kind of internal beaker?

I will fuse something like that as a circuit break protects the circuit (line in the wall)

the fuse protects the device (driver) so I will put in a fuse

I have an 16 inch by by 16 by 6 deep and a 18 by 18 by 8 deep

both have back boards with stand off in them

also they both have intakes with a filter and exhaust with a fan

I work in industry we have wall mounted enclose you could live in

and the ones they just gave me would have been discarded

yes yours is outstanding :slight_smile:

being a Network person wire manger is a big thing

perfect I will have to look at specs but 10 ’ should work

all the best and thank you

Dequilo

3 Likes

thanks for information in that thread guys. Very helpful for me.
it’s my first striptech build.
osram duris s5 diodes
700mA 33 V (0,7Ax33V=23w)
160 lm/w
it’ll work without radiator, Less then half of typical amperage with PC power supply and boost converter on 150w.
prices:
-strips 40$+10$ shipping.
-converter 97% effeciety 3$.
-power supply free for me (used cost 3 bucks).

IMG_20201216_153621

8 Likes

So says the Chinese sellers typically though 75-90% is actually what the efficiencies are so take a 80% efficient pc power supply with a 90% efficient buck converter = a 72% efficient power source, mind you efficiencies on some pc power supplies are greater at lower loads so would be interesting to know and easy to take measurements before and after and would be a helpful bit of info for others.

Also guess i should add how are you controlling output current, i presume your not and just running straight voltage control with the boost converter which would allow heat creep to happen.

5 Likes

i thought booster have current output limit - 6 A.
And yes input current can more then 10 A.
‘‘Little’’ mistake.
well… looking for normal driver.
Live and learn.

3 Likes

There is no way that converter is 97%… I suggest to take a look at youtube videos about those cheap converters, people did some measurements, i think its about 70-80%, in a long run its cheaper to buy proper driver like maxwell… I personally wouldnt believe anything chinese sellers say, it may be 97% efficient at loads of 3w, but thats not meaningfull to you…

2 Likes

6A limit often means “we’re not accountable if our product burns your house down because you went over.“ Nice companies include fuses and things to mitigate it. But yeah… generally don’t trust sellers from China, simply because there is no accountability. They just put it up under a new name if they ruin their reputation. Government doesn’t care they’re doing it.

Now that said… China is a great place to get cheap shit. Just don’t believe what they tell you, until you establish a relationship.

4 Likes

anybody know can i connect strips + cobs to one driver?
voltage similar.
cobs 24 - 36 V
strips 30 - 35 V

You should be able to connect in parallel. Just expect a few issues to troubleshoot.

1 Like

$60 all in for that? Really nice!

all the same, I still need to add the price of the driver.coz it not working scheme)))

1 Like

I wouldn’t mix and match. The driver may have issues adjusting the current and voltage with different fV. Drivers are cheap, buy two.

4 Likes

Technically if they operating at the exact same voltage you could but otherwise they will be potentially lighting on fire, or blowing up the chips, or just not having them run, and also you could technically could run dissimilar voltage components in series only so long as the amperage required by them is the same and you can supply that voltage.

But seriously don’t do it, like @ReikoX just get another driver or heck another couple dollar constant current boost converter and separate the two then they can be tuned independently of each other

3 Likes

I use mh for my autos outside thevtent and leds for others insidev the tent moving twoards leds all to gether thanks for thevinfo

Peace out and stay safe

Hey, I forget what you guys said if doing separate flower and veg areas… in a squat box, 4k veg, 2.7k/3k/3.5k flower?

1 Like